Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Philadelphia Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mike B.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Yardley, PA
Votes |
Rentals in Philadelphia, but you live outside the city? Question!

Mike B.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Yardley, PA
Posted Mar 1 2017, 14:12

Hi all,

**Question for investors who live OUTSIDE Phila city limits.  

I currently have rental properties in the city of Philadelphia, where I currently live.  I'm looking to move out of the city this year, but still keep my rental properties.  I found online via city of Phila website (unsure if this is old info) that as an owner/property manager of rental properties in Phila.. you need to live in the city OR have an agent representative in city limits to represent you.  Anyone ever hear about this?  

For those who have rental properties within city limits (Philadelphia), but you live OUTSIDE the city limits, do you self manage?  Any issues (or other thoughts) I need to be aware of as an investment owner (and property manager) in this future scenario? 

Thanks in advance! 

User Stats

Votes
Irfan Raza
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Mar 1 2017, 15:08

I have never self managed and therefore, I have put my property manager in that line.  I think it would be no big deal if you put one of your friends addresses on their as the "agent".  You can then choose to have all correspondence go to the owner so they would not even get any mail sent to them. 

Property Buyer Connect Logo

User Stats

Votes
Joe White
  • Property Manager
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Property Manager
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Mar 1 2017, 15:58

@Mike B. A good property manager should actually make you more than they cost. It is probably your solution.

Steadily logo
Steadily
|
Sponsored
America’s best-rated landlord insurance nationwide Quotes online in minutes. Single-family, fix n’ flips, short-term rentals, and more. Great prices.

User Stats

Votes
Mike B.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Yardley, PA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Yardley, PA
Replied Mar 1 2017, 16:24

Thanks @Irfan Raza and @Joe White

I have turnkey properties that require minimal (if any) maintenance though, so if possible would like to continue managing them (avoiding other fees/costs whenever possible). I wonder also if I could just get a PO BOX in the city instead?

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Mar 1 2017, 19:17

No, the PO box does not meet the requirement. The "agent" does not have to be a licensed real estate agent, just somebody who can have legal papers served when you have a lawsuit facing you. See if one of your friends or neighbors is willing to do this; offer a few dollars for them to basically do nothing.

User Stats

Votes
Mike B.
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Yardley, PA
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Yardley, PA
Replied Mar 1 2017, 19:21

Thanks @Steve Babiak.. was hoping you would chime in on this. Appreciate the assistance!