Neel Patel
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Blueprints for Shell Property

Neel Patel
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Oct 26 2018, 07:59

Hi team!

I recently purchased a shell in Brewerytown and we went to pull the builder permit but L&I is saying that we need blueprints since it's in a shell condition. Neither me nor my GC was aware of needing blueprints because it's a shell. Do I need blueprints? How much should I estimate for blueprints? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Wayne Brooks#1 Foreclosures Contributor
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • West Palm Beach, FL
Replied Oct 26 2018, 08:13

A shell, as in just a floor, walls and a roof? What are you going to do to it? If it’s just a shell and you’re going to build it out, I can’t imagine getting a permit anywhere without engineer/architect signed and sealed drawings (blueprints) that detail electrical, plumbing, walls, load bearing calculations, etc.

User Stats

Votes
Neel Patel
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Oct 26 2018, 09:58

Hi Wayne! Yes, it's just floors, walls and roof. The previous owner took out all the non-load bearing walls.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Irfan Raza
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Oct 27 2018, 07:05

$5k+ and 3 months added to your timeline. 

Property Buyer Connect Logo

User Stats

Votes
Corey Kenney
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Moorestown, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Moorestown, NJ
Replied Aug 31 2020, 02:26

@Irfan Raza

Is that a standard industry timeline to have blueprints done? I need to have blueprints done on a property that I hope to rezone from Commercial to Residential. I see your in Philadelphia. Can you or anyone else recommend someone to me in our area that can help me out with this.

User Stats

Votes
Irfan Raza
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Sep 2 2020, 09:35

Rezoning infront of the zoning board is likely 12+ months at this point. I dont have anyone to recommend at this point.

User Stats

Votes
Eli B.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Sep 22 2020, 20:10

@Irfan Raza

3 months for approval of plans? Is that just now due to the Covid backup or always like that?

User Stats

Votes
Irfan Raza
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Sep 23 2020, 06:10

Its always been about 3 months for me, I am sure others can do it faster. I usually pull minor alteration permits if the job allows, so I have less experience with permits with plans, but this is what I budget:   1 month for Arch, 1 month for the city to review.  They seem to provide comments on the last day and 30 days to respond to comments and for re-review.  Lately there has been a COVID and System back up.  At the same time as COVID, the city moved their whole system to online.  Created some delays.

User Stats

Votes
David Vitarelli
  • Investor
  • Voorhees, NJ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Voorhees, NJ
Replied Sep 29 2020, 12:07

@Neel Patel my architect charges $2,000 for architectural drawings, 3 copies of blue prints and postage. But if you are improving any structural components at the property, you will need an engineers stamp on plans as well. My engineer charges me between $750 and $1,250 depending on the scope. Budget $4,000 for this and you should be okay. However, once you submit to L&I, be prepared to wait...and wait...and wait. Personally, I have been waiting for 6 months for my permits. I applied for a building permit with a zoning variance for raising the roof line and extending the rear wall. If you don’t get and RFI, maybe 3 months of waiting, but in my case I am on my second round of RFI! Good luck!