• New to Real Estate
  • Dallas Forth Worth
Votes |
Credit Repairs by Lenders

Ephraim Teke
  • New to Real Estate
  • Dallas Forth Worth
Posted Jan 17 2020, 04:30

I am a newbie with zero experience and looking forward to getting my first SFH to househack in the DFW area using FHA loan. I contacted a lender, and the lender has a third party credit repair program to help build my credit scores. Has anyone on BP ever undergone credit counseling from a third party program of this nature? Could there be any hidden agendas or obligations after the repair process? Prior to this lender, I was referred by a bank to a credit repair counselor who asked for a ridiculously high fee.

User Stats

Votes
Neil Aggarwal
  • Lender
  • Richardson, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Richardson, TX
Replied Jan 17 2020, 07:11

I never believed in credit repair companies. You can do it all yourself. Live frugally and pay off your debt. I don't need to pay someone to tell me that.

User Stats

Votes
Ephraim Teke
  • New to Real Estate
  • Dallas Forth Worth
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Dallas Forth Worth
Replied Jan 17 2020, 07:21

Neil, thanks for that advice. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jennifer Ryan
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Arlington, TX
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Arlington, TX
Replied Jan 17 2020, 08:55

Hi & welcome Ephriam!

When I was a practicing Realtor, there were a few occasions where my clients really needed the credit repair help so they had been referred to a credit repair person by one of my "Go To” & trusted lenders. (Notice the verbiage?)

In each case though, my client’s credit really affected either their ability to get a loan or, to get one at a low rate and the credit repair made all the difference.

If your scores are low enough to affect your interest rate, it's certainly worth you checking into but do your research! There are shysters in every business waiting to take your money… so go online, read reviews, ask for several references and call them to see if they were satisfied before you move forward.

Wishing you a Happy & fruitful house-hack!

Oh & let us know how things turn out.

Jennifer Ryan (Jenn)

User Stats

Votes
Ephraim Teke
  • New to Real Estate
  • Dallas Forth Worth
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Dallas Forth Worth
Replied Jan 17 2020, 09:11

Thanks Jennifer. I will certainly do all that you suggested. I will also let you know about the outcome. 

Warm regards,

Ephraim