Moving from San Francisco to Austin is equivalent to a 46% raise

21 Replies

Interesting read, favorite article quote:

"(meaning) an Austin tech employee would, on average, need an $83,000 raise to maintain the same standard of living in San Francisco"

Great article from a year ago!  I visit San Francisco a lot (obviously not this year) and it really is no surprise.  Anyone can see immediately the vast difference in spending daily (tolls, gas, rental cost, housing, etc).  

When I moved here from Sonoma (5 years ago) I was making to a penny the exact amount I made in CA. We were renting in CA, and both my wife and I were working 50-60 hour weeks. We were able to buy a home, have a child, and allow her to semi-retire while building her own business. Most people would tell me at the time how expensive Austin is, but I had to laugh a bit.

@Robert Eyers

I have lived and invested in the Bay Area for north of 20 years so I cannot relate to financial benefits of moving to Austin but I recall as a youngster just starting out l did evaluate a move Dallas because it was a lot cheaper to live there. I am overwhelmingly confident that had I moved, my professional career would have not progressed as fast or as well as it had here in the bay and I’d have likely encountered fewer wealth creation opportunities. Glad I did not move. But that’s just me. I am curious what young people won’t move to Austin in large number given those stats published in the OPs article? My observation is there are people who move from SF to Austin but more people move in the other direction.

@Jordan Moorhead

My line of work is more aligned to the tech industry which as you can imagine is many times the magnitude of other cities in the country.

Also the tech eco system of entrepreneurs, venture capitalists is huge here and generally the rapid emergence of many companies big and small happened at a blistering pace in the Bay Area.

Just to highlight the compensation models in tech are more skewed towards equity. So the odds of wealth creation are much higher not to mention the very vibrant and rapidly appreciating market we have here that also affords WC opportunities.

@Jordan Moorhead I used to party on 6th Street back during my college days in 2005. There was zero tech presence back then. Things are much different now which is great for the city. But comparing the career trajectory / opportunity over the last 20 years, by far the Bay Area wins.

@Justin Thorpe : Interesting that you think more people are going from here to SF than from SF to here. I would have guessed the other way around. I'm thinking of the incident where California banned state travel to Texas and someone (Abbott I think) responded with "thats fine, we'll just keep accepting all the businesses that are running away from your oppressive tax policy".

@Robert Eyers

The young, restless and the ambitious will always swing west, That said the low(er) cost of living in Austin is an attraction for many people but they realize it will come with strings like a lower salary and possibly slower career growth. Ultimately there is no free lunch and especially not in the tech business.

Moved from mid west Ohio to Houston back in 2006, taxes savings was real nice. But drive to Austin a few times a year just to eat / drink at the Oasis.

Originally posted by @Amit M. :

I dunno...I'd spend the extra $83,000 a year just to avoid Austin summers, plus gain the myriad walkable amenities S.F. has to offer.

right off the top you will spend zero on Air conditioning in SF and will spend much more in Austin :) 

its apples and oranges.  the areas just are not comparable in life style.

@Jay Hinrichs as someone who made the move from the Bay Area to Dallas last year for a tech company no less I can agree that we NEVER turn our AC off here for at least 4-5 months.

I actually was paid more to move to Texas and advanced my career in doing so, this the move made sense. Now in a funny turn of events our company is relocating to Portland.

I was just in Lake Oswego 2 weeks ago and had lunch down at a brewery on the lake, beautiful place!

Originally posted by @Andrew Neal :

@Jay Hinrichs as someone who made the move from the Bay Area to Dallas last year for a tech company no less I can agree that we NEVER turn our AC off here for at least 4-5 months.

I actually was paid more to move to Texas and advanced my career in doing so, this the move made sense. Now in a funny turn of events our company is relocating to Portland

I was just in Lake Oswego 2 weeks ago and had lunch down at a brewery on the lake, beautiful place!

when i connect out of DFW to PDX  i can often hear Texans commenting when we come in on final approach through the Columbia Gorge and Mt. Hood is on the left and Mt Adams on the right and things lush green.. that if they could find a Job in Portland they would move from Dallas in a heartbeat.. its  no kidding a common theme on a clear day Northwest is pretty spectacular..  And its booming in its own way to.. But heck Dallas population is larger than the entire state of Oregon .. 

Originally posted by @Andrew Neal :

@Jay Hinrichs I believe it. I joke that I found the "hilliest" most "California" part of North Dallas and then moved there haha. 

Well I hope you have a successful move..  keep traffic in mind if your going to be commuting.