• Houston, TX
Votes |
Any real estate investors in Singapore?

Sam B.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Houston, TX
Posted Jun 11 2015, 05:32

Any real estate investors in Singapore?

I'm a recent transplant but have been building a US portfolio for the last couple of years - would love to connect with some local folks to chat real estate.

Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Youngman
  • Portugal
Votes |
  • Portugal
Replied Aug 1 2015, 16:07

Hi Sam,

I just moved here a month or so ago. Let me know if your free for a coffee sometime.

Tom

User Stats

Votes
Sam B.
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Aug 4 2015, 01:26

@Thomas Youngman

Will do!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dominic Jones
  • York, PA
Votes |
  • York, PA
Replied Aug 8 2015, 05:25

Hi @Sam B.

& @Thomas Youngman, I'm looking to move overseas to some part of Asia in 2016. I'm keeping tabs on the pulse of the meetups and groups that are in different countries to help me make my decision on where I want to go, in relation to the jobs available to Teach English.

What are your strategies? Have either one of you invested in Singapore or only have a portfolio based in the US?

User Stats

Votes
Thomas Youngman
  • Portugal
Votes |
  • Portugal
Replied Aug 8 2015, 05:31

Hi Dominic, 

I have nothing in the US. 1 in the UK, 2 in mongolia and now interested in singapore.

Singapore is very expensive with low rents. Having said that I am still in the process of trying to find investors who really know the market.

Tom

User Stats

Votes
Alvin P.
  • Investor
  • Singapore, Singapore
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Singapore, Singapore
Replied Aug 8 2015, 08:17

Interesting! I'm a Singaporean, living in Singapore, and just started investing in the US after getting disillusioned with the REI market in Singapore

User Stats

Votes
Dominic Jones
  • York, PA
Votes |
  • York, PA
Replied Aug 8 2015, 10:35

@Alvin P.

& @Thomas Youngman, so from what I'm hearing from the both of you Singapore is not a good place to start your investing due to high costs and low returns?

User Stats

Votes
Sam B.
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Aug 8 2015, 22:56

@Dominic JonesMy portfolio is based completely in the USA.  I would always recommend Americans basing their RE portfolios in the USA, at least to start...worst case scenario, you can always come back and manage it yourself.

Long term thinking, getting paid rent in USD will allows provide that "location independence/global arbitrage" strategy where even just a $1000/monthly cash flow from your US based rentals will provide a very reasonable standard of living in many South East Asia countries.

Lots of ways to attack it.  Post here or connect privately, I'd be happy to share whatever I've learned.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Friss
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Cicero, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Cicero, NY
Replied Aug 9 2015, 00:33

I've been living in SG for over 3 years and plan on staying here on a medium term. Now that we are settled, I am looking to get into commercial real estate in the US. Does anyone know of a REI group based in SG that has interest is investing in the states? Who would like to start one?

User Stats

Votes
Dominic Jones
  • York, PA
Votes |
  • York, PA
Replied Aug 9 2015, 04:36

@Sam B., that is an awesome idea and it definitely makes sense to me. I haven't done a single deal yet and I'm still learning as I go along. I have an interview coming up (part 2 of 3) tomorrow with a couple of young guys who are looking to be the biggest wholesalers in my area (Love their ambition!). So I'm hoping it goes well. I hope that by working with them and learning their system I will have accumulated some coin for myself by the end of the year and hit my 10x goal (which is to do 10 deals this year).

Nevertheless, I understand the strategy and I completely understand I just don't have the experience enough yet to follow through with that. I'm definitely interested in connecting with you.

@Brandon Friss, hey buddy. I'm not in Singapore, and I'm not completely set on coming there; however, I would suggest starting one after you get at least 10 names on a list who are willing to come and participate and just continue to grow it from there. Most of the REI groups I've been to meet once a month so you don't have to meet overly often either.

User Stats

Votes
Alvin P.
  • Investor
  • Singapore, Singapore
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Singapore, Singapore
Replied Aug 9 2015, 06:42

If anyone's in Singapore, I don't mind meeting up with like-minded people. Just drop me a PM and we can discuss!

User Stats

Votes
Okeoma M.
  • Brooklyn, New York
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, New York
Replied Aug 9 2015, 07:07

I'm originally Malaysian and work back and forth between NY and Singapore (both cities in which, in my opinion, it is extremely difficult to invest in real estate).  I'm sure @Alvin P. can speak more to this but you should be careful in Singapore. They tend to be extremely protectionist and not friendly to foreign investment when it comes to real estae (for instance, foreign investors pay a property tax surcharge) which can make it hard to put in compete against local investors. Of course,  if structured correctly, these investments could work.

I may be slightly biased, but I would also advise you to consider looking into Malaysia because they are eager to attract foreign investors (even offering a Malaysia my second home program, which provides permanant residency for foreigners with qualifying investments). It's just a short/cheap flight to KL and you'll certain get better returns and face less competition.

I look forward to following this thread because my husband and I do plan to move back to the region in the next 5 years. 

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Dominic Jones
  • York, PA
Votes |
  • York, PA
Replied Aug 15 2015, 12:16
Originally posted by @Okeoma M.:

I'm originally Malaysian and work back and forth between NY and Singapore (both cities in which, in my opinion, it is extremely difficult to invest in real estate).  I'm sure @Alvin P. can speak more to this but you should be careful in Singapore. They tend to be extremely protectionist and not friendly to foreign investment when it comes to real estae (for instance, foreign investors pay a property tax surcharge) which can make it hard to put in compete against local investors. Of course,  if structured correctly, these investments could work.

I may be slightly biased, but I would also advise you to consider looking into Malaysia because they are eager to attract foreign investors (even offering a Malaysia my second home program, which provides permanant residency for foreigners with qualifying investments). It's just a short/cheap flight to KL and you'll certain get better returns and face less competition.

I look forward to following this thread because my husband and I do plan to move back to the region in the next 5 years. 

Good luck!

This is awesome information you've left here about Malaysia. I am still trying to choose between countries to teach English in and Malaysia just became even more attractive because of this knowledge. Thank you Okeoma.

User Stats

Votes
Okeoma M.
  • Brooklyn, New York
Votes |
  • Brooklyn, New York
Replied Aug 15 2015, 13:25

@Dominic Jones Happy to help. Message me if you have any questions about teaching/buying property in SE Asia. My husband and I spent a little over a year teaching English in Thailand and traveling extensively through SE Asia so we know the area quite well. In addition to Singapore and Malayasia, I've also done a decent amount of research on buying in Thailand and Cambodia. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff S.#4 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Jeff S.#4 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 16 2015, 16:09

If you can pay cash using US dollars, it might be a good time now to consider buying or paying down property in Malaysia. The oil glut and resulting collapse in oil prices, political instability due to what appears to be embezzlement by PM Najib Razak, and the possibility of higher US interest rates has driven the Ringgit to a 17 year low. Certainly over the last year the Ringgit has fallen from a roughly stable RM3.1 to over RM4.1 per USD last week, or about a 33% haircut, and counting.

Long term, both oil and interest rates have never shown anything but volatility. Similarly, PM Razak will either survive or resign. That is, the Ringgit will eventually recover and I see this as nothing more than an opportunity to buy what's already cheap real estate at a cash discount.

The flip side, of course, is you'll receive rent in a depressed currency so you either have to spend the money locally (buy more property?) or wait for the economy and currency to strengthen. You'll also have to be careful about what you buy and doubly ensure your tenants are strong enough to survive the outfall.

I also imagine there might be some motivated landlords eager to get out. Moving quickly with cash can provide a competitive advantage.

Note too that I'm talking about paying cash using US Dollars. Financing a property, as many of the large developments offer to foreigners, provides no benefit. In fact, financing will work against you.  When the Ringgit returns, you'll have to make up the difference in Dollars when you sell or repatriate your investment. 

User Stats

Votes
Rich N.
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Haverhill, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Haverhill, MA
Replied Aug 16 2015, 16:41

You can search for members based on location under the NETWORK tab

User Stats

Votes
Dominic Jones
  • York, PA
Votes |
  • York, PA
Replied Aug 17 2015, 12:42
Originally posted by @Okeoma M.:

@Dominic Jones Happy to help. Message me if you have any questions about teaching/buying property in SE Asia. My husband and I spent a little over a year teaching English in Thailand and traveling extensively through SE Asia so we know the area quite well. In addition to Singapore and Malayasia, I've also done a decent amount of research on buying in Thailand and Cambodia. 

Okeoma, I will definitely get in touch with you. If Iand a position in Malaysia that pays well enough for me to want to take it then I will more than likely choose Malaysia. Beyond that, thank you so very much for your help. I'll be sending you a connection request right now.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Ma
  • Professional
  • Larapinta, Queensland
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Larapinta, Queensland
Replied Apr 18 2016, 23:19

anyone want to meet up ? Ive been looking into different strategies to get into SG property. It hasnt been easy because of all the government measures in place but over time i have found that these barriers becomes opportunities. Would love to meet up with like minded people and those preferably already transacting Singapore properties. PM me if you want to meet up

User Stats

Votes
Jenifer Ine
  • Atlanta
Votes |
  • Atlanta
Replied Apr 28 2018, 21:58

@Sam B. Hi, I see that your original post on this thread is a couple of years old, so I am wondering if you are still located in Singapore. I just moved to Guangzhou, China last year, so I’m practically your neighborhood 😉.   I am interested in starting a career in real estate investing in the states while remaining abroad, at least for the next couple of years.  I would love to know more about how you manage your properties and purchase new deals from abroad. 

User Stats

Votes
Sam B.
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Houston, TX
Replied Apr 29 2018, 23:56

@Jenifer Ine No longer in SG but still abroad and still buying properties.  Happy to help, shooting you a message now.

User Stats

Votes
Jenifer Ine
  • Atlanta
Votes |
  • Atlanta
Replied May 9 2018, 17:09

Thanks Sam. 

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 3 2018, 08:35

Hi Sam B, I am an expat in Singapore and looking to add to my real estate portfolio.  We should put together a group of BP members here in Singapore!  PM me if you're free to connect.