• Rental Property Investor
  • Petaluma, CA
Votes |
Seeking locals perspective on Ogden

Noel R.
  • Petaluma, CA
Posted Jul 24 2018, 12:31

Oddly enough it appears my last post asking about the Ogden market was removed. I did not know that seeking locals perspective on their market isn't allowed.

Been scoping out Ogden for a while now and really like what I see. Forbes has it as a top 10 market for investors and the brick houses are awesome imo. The old town feel with parades and car shows is awesome. Add to that the access to outdoor adventure and I have fallen in love from a distance. 

The internet can make things look alot better than they are and that is where YOU come in. Looking to connect with folks who have boots on the ground and can share with me their local insider take. 

Any and all articles, local newspaper sites and general takes on Ogden are greatly appreciated.

Thank you all who take the time to respond!

(Moderators if this is not allowed please link me to the rules that state what my infraction is.)

User Stats

Votes
Dexter Bee
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Jan 25 2019, 13:31

Hi Noel. I am new to the Salt Lake City area and looking into Ogden area as an investment as well. I have heard that Ogden is one of the cheaper areas to purchase in. However, I have also been told that there are a lot of bad seeds and not so good pockets. I like the area because the fact that it is in the vicinity of Hill Air Force Base and that fits with my niche of investing. I have recently made contact with a Realtor that I discovered through BP and I think he is worth a referral so far. I don't know if you are still looking but if so I can send you his number. Best of luck to you and your investments in the area. 

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 25 2019, 20:06

Ogden is definitely up and coming. They have done a lot of revamping the downtown district. That being said, like Dexter says, there are definitely rough pockets still. As a general rule the eastern side is less sketchy. I work on Hill AFB and am looking to buy a house hack in the Ogden area by the end of May.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Dexter Bee
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Jan 25 2019, 21:10

Awesome Zachary. What method are you using? The VA method? I asked the Realtor I am working with about the cost of 4 plex's and he said around $700,000. That's insane!

User Stats

Votes
Dustin Lyon
  • Clearfield, UT
Votes |
  • Clearfield, UT
Replied Jan 25 2019, 21:40

There is a dog food plant on 29th and Wall Ave. It has a distinct smell around that area sometimes other then that it is your typical community with good and bad areas. There is a lot going on around the Junction in Ogden. More development also happening at the border of Ogden, Riverdale, and Washington Terrace. 

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Jensen
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 28 2019, 22:42

@Dexter Bee I'm planning on using an FHA. I'm not military, just a contractor. I haven't seen the evidence to support that $700,000 number. Because I don't have the money for a large down-payment, I will probably go with a duplex instead of a four-plex, but when I have seen four-plexes for sale they have tended more toward the $500,000 range. But maybe your realtor is looking in a different area than the ones I have seen

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Naylor
  • Lender
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Jan 29 2019, 14:52

Hi there, I'm an investor friendly loan officer and I my own personal house is in Ogden, the assumption that Ogden is a little rough can certainly ring true in some areas. Over the past few years they have really upgraded the area, lots of historic renovations in the historic district, lots of financial programs that help with the community and it's upkeep has been making a huge impact.

The housing prices are very hit and miss still. There are some fantastic deals to be found, but the market is becoming saturated with more and more getting priced out from Salt Lake and moving up north. Ogden is about 40-60 minute drive from Salt Lake, but there are some VERY attractive cities in between as well.

User Stats

Votes
Dexter Bee
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Feb 5 2019, 19:22

@Ryan Naylor Yeah, I agree with you about there being nice cities in between SLC and Ogden. I also like how you introduced yourself as an investor friendly loan officer. PM me with your information.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Naylor
  • Lender
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Salt Lake City, UT
Replied Feb 7 2019, 09:56
Originally posted by @Dexter Bee:

@Ryan Naylor Yeah, I agree with you about there being nice cities in between SLC and Ogden. I also like how you introduced yourself as an investor friendly loan officer. PM me with your information.

Thanks! Request sent. Let's put our heads together and get some deals done.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 13 2019, 20:10

@Ryan Naylor I would be interested to learn about the ltv% you offer on investment SFR's.