• Savannah, GA
Votes |
New foreign investor making a start in the US

Erin Wilks
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Savannah, GA
Posted Sep 13 2020, 09:57

Hello Bigger Pockets, I am an expat looking to start investing in the US, I've been listening to bigger pockets for some time now and I feel like i am just about ready to buy my first property. I have my deposit and pre approval with a couple of lending companies.  I was just hoping there might be some foreign investors in the South Florida area that might have any advice or be kind enough to help me avoid any pitfalls. Open to investing anywhere in the US, I thought I would start in Florida, I am wanting to buy single family and multi family homes that cash flow and to set myself up for a future where I don't have to work 16 hour days. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied Sep 13 2020, 11:16

@Erin Wilks

That is great to hear! A couple of my partners are foreign and actively and passively invest in the US. There are a few additional steps most foreign investors take when getting setup to invest in the US. It really is not a very difficult process but will take a little longer. DM me if you want to discuss your specific investing criteria.

User Stats

Votes
Taylor L.
Pro Member
  • Multifamily and Self Storage Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Multifamily and Self Storage Investor
  • Richmond, VA
Replied Sep 13 2020, 11:47

If you can, find some local networking groups and join them. Meetup.com is a great source in many areas. Many networking groups have gone online, and you can still make connections that way.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Rabih El-Khoury
  • Dubai, UAE
Votes |
  • Dubai, UAE
Replied Sep 17 2020, 22:08

Well done Erin and good luck. I recommend listening to @Charles Carillo podcast, especially regarding legal and tax setup to maximize efficiency and minimize risk. Otherwise, BP is a great source for building your team, mainly realtor and property manager (PM). As some who invest long distance, i've learned to focus my BP attention on connect with a good realtor and PM and then use their connections to complete the crew: insurance broker, title company, contractor, handyman etc--finding all those people will take a lot of your time. 

User Stats

Votes
Tess L.
  • Investor
  • Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Replied Nov 15 2020, 04:47

Hi Erin, 

I've just written a blueprint for getting started, based on what has worked for me over the past year. You can see it here: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

User Stats

Votes
Nalin Ratnaike
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Canberra AUSTRALIA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Canberra AUSTRALIA
Replied Jan 3 2021, 05:09

@Erin Wilks

Hello Erin

If you want to have a chat please DM me.

Thanks

Nalin