"Lifeonaire" by Steve Cook

15 Replies

Hi all,

I just heard an interview with the Steve Cook, the author of "Lifeonaire", a very successful real estate investor that realized that we can become a prisoner to our success. He discusses the importance of defining the life we want first and then building our real estate investment business around it. I was impressed by his thoughtfulness and life perspectives.

Mike

Did you buy his book? What did  you think?

Hi,

I have not read the book. He caught my interest because he reminded me to be careful what we strive to accomplish. We can be a slave to our success in the form of time we have to commit to our real estate properties and projects. I am retired and just picked up another rental property. I like to say I will continue to buy properties until it starts to feel like work. Then I will stop. 

Good insight I think it's important to keep the important things first if that makes sense. And never lose sight of that. I'm getting into this business to first have the freedom to spend time with my family and not ask the boss for a day off to go on a field trip with my daughter. And secondly to retire comfortably one day with my wife!

Interesting. I think that's similar for work life too. People who get an MBA, law degree, go to med school, could make six figures but also often have six figure debt, and they have to work 70 hours a week to keep their job and pay off their debt and they can't escape. They're slaves to their own success. Definitely something to keep in mind.

I tried reading the book Lifeonaire but, quite frankly, it was painful.  As I recall it was written from the perspective of some fictitious guy having a life meltdown.  I put it down after about 10 pages.  I think the underlying principles are fine (though not original) but the presentation was corny.  

I appreciate the feedback folks!

Just finished reading the book Lifeonaire and what a great inspiration book!

I too read Lifeonaire and agree that it was a bit corny.  It was also life changing for my wife and I.  The simple truth is that most of America (myself included up until recently) are living as victims of the world around us.  Without realizing it, we strive for "success" without having ever defined success for ourselves.  We unconsciously pursue society's version of success because its easy to do.  Money and Things are easy to measure so they serve as a good thermometer and tell us how we are "doing" relative to others. The downside being that those things never bring the feelings we hope they will.  Even when our ship comes in and we "make it big", our happiness is short lived and soon replaced by discontent.  We are stuck waiting for our next and bigger "ship to come in".  This isn't to say we are making bad decisions, we are just not aware that there is a better way to live.  

This book helped me shift gears from an "its never good enough" mindset to a much better one.  Now that I have a VISION (which my wife and I formulated at a Lifeonaire event), I could not be happier.  My wife and I live a very comfortable life on a combined 10-15 hours per week of "work" and spend the rest of the time with our two young children.  While we could certainly make more money if we spent more time at it, we have chosen a different path. We used the Lifeonaire message to consciously plan what we want our life to look like and make decisions that create that life for us.  

Boiled down, one of the many valuable messages in this book is that regardless of what we say, our priorities are evident in how we spend out time.  Many folks will list Family ahead of Career on their ordered list of priorities, yet when we look at their weekly schedule, we see that they spend 40, 50, or 60 hours per week at work and 5-10 hours with family). That was me before Lifeonaire.  The opposite is now true and for that I am forever grateful!  This book helped us realize that we had the power to change and that "i work so much to support my family who I love" is a backwards way of thinking.

I just started reading the book.  I normally hate self help books that are written in a story format, but I am actually enjoying this one.  So far the book is very enlightening.  I realize that I have been fed the wrong information. 

Society gives the impression that when you get money that is when freedom begins (which is false).  We pursue money hoping that it will give a great life.  When we should pursue a great life whether we get rich or not.

Account Closed, I'm never impressed by writers who get paid BIG dollars trying to convince us how wonderful it could be being poor (even though THEY'RE not)! Yes, there are plenty of happy poor people. But they didn't need to read 'Lifeonaire' to attain that happiness.

Ahh, I just googled 'Lifeonaire'. The very first sentence I came across was: "The Four Stages Of Financial Prosperity is an e-course valued at $99", being offered for free by Lifeonaire. Just as I thought: an upselling, ongoing, money-spinning same ol' same ol'...

Disclosure: I am a a student  of Steve Cook and Shaun McKlosky and a member of their Lifeonaire coaching group.

@Brent Coombs I certainly understand your skepticism. There has been an explosion of Gurus, many of whom don't know crap. Some are downright deceitful. The barrier to becoming a Guru is low. Anyone who has only read a book on real estate now thinks they are qualified to start teaching it.

I have known Steve Cook for over a decade. He is one of the Good Guy Gurus. Steve has always offered good value in his courses and his coaching. He also does not hold back. He gives the real scoop on real estate without holding back the risks or negatives. 

Steve is not only brilliant, he is outstanding at explaining things in a simple clear way. The co Author Shaun McKlosky has a very different coaching style and they  make a great team. I have learned a LOT from these guys. 

Brent, Lifeonaire is not at all about being poor. It is about getting the most out of life by focusing on what is really important to you. If you knew more about the philosophy I think you would actually agree with most of it.

@Ned Carey , yeah, you're likely right. But the cynic in me suggests that YOU (and other successful winning-at-life people) would be just as happy/successful in life ANYWAY.

It shouldn't require a guru to suggest we: "pursue a great life whether we get rich or not"!

But you're certainly right that I have no specific cause to judge lifeonaire negatively. Cheers...

@Brent Coombs Lifeonaire does not advocate being poor and at the same time it does not push for getting rich.  Think about it...most Americans are already rich!  If you make over $45K per year then you are within the top 5% of wealthy people on the planet.  

http://www.worldwealthcalculator.org/

Yet we are still striving for more and at what price?  Time away from our family, friends, and doing things that we love.  

Originally posted by @Brent Coombs :

@Mike Russo , sounds like same ol' same ol' to this guru-overloaded puppy!...

Knowing this program well, I can promise you that, in this case, your past experiences are causing you to miss out on a perspective that can be career/life changing.  Full Disclosure. I am not currently nor have I ever been paid to promote this company.  Just a VERY satisfied customer!  

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here