• Real Estate Investor
  • Covington, LA
Votes |
Flip2freedom academy - Opinions???

Todd Gustafson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Covington, LA
Posted Aug 7 2011, 09:50

Has anyone signed up for Sean Terry's Flip2freedom academy? A BPer suggested I take a look and like what I see. It sounds like much of the same stuff I've read. I just want to make sure it's not a scam.

Also, I like the fact that the program has video, how-to modules. I learn very well that way.

So, anyone follow his course? Any success with it?

Thanks.

User Stats

Votes
Todd Gustafson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Covington, LA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Covington, LA
Replied Sep 3 2011, 05:32
Originally posted by Rob Gillespie:
The problem I have with the "Guru" is that everything is a feaking up sell! You pay them hundreds if not thousands to have a jumbled mess of info that you cant do anything with and at the end they tell you if you wanna make the real money, come to their 5,000 dollar boot camp! LOL!

I was the past president of a real estate club, so I booked a lotta of these guys.

Yes, as aforementioned, I've reviewed many of the Guru's courses and got this impression. Which is fine if you are willing to pay and get enough value from it. However, most give just enough to keep you wanting more and keep your ink pen pressed against the checkbook.

My father signed up for a course in south Florida. He and my mother made a mini vacation out of the seminar. Although they reviewed a ton of information, the guru and team asked the audience to literally max our their credit cards and invest in one of their projects at a $25,000 minimum. Are you kidding me? Everything was building up to that final sales pitch.

Speaking of sales pitches, I went to my first REI meeting. My current real estate agent is president of the local Chapter, and she invited me. I had a great time, networked with interesting people and learned a lot.

The speaker seemed legit, selling self directed IRA's. I think he's selling a great product and once I get the ball rolling will look into it. However, he is at the meeting for one reason, to sell as many SDIRA's as possible. He's a salesman just as every other guru. In his defense, I could see the value in his product but do not in many of the guru's products; I'm not a sucker.

Last, in Mr. Terry's defense, as the last poster explains, I've learned more from his ebook and podcasts which are free than the wholesaling course I spent a few hundred bucks to acquire.

I expect anyone who acts as a mentor to offer his or her service at a premium. It's what you get for the premium that makes the difference.

User Stats

Votes
Christopher P.
  • Wholesaler
  • Pearl City, HI
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Pearl City, HI
Replied Nov 17 2011, 13:32

The truth to the matter of fact is, "Has anyone made any source of income while being being mentor by gurus or academy programs other than getting educated?" Yes, the education is there but have you put it to use?

If so, please do tell

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
James Vermillion
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Lexington, KY
Replied Nov 17 2011, 13:41
Originally posted by Christopher Puletasi:
The truth to the matter of fact is, "Has anyone made any source of income while being being mentor by gurus or academy programs other than getting educated?" Yes, the education is there but have you put it to use?

If so, please do tell

That is the ultimate question. I have talked to quite a few successful investors and none of them mentions a guru as their source for education. On the flip side, I have heard from a ton of people who have praised gurus, but they seem to fade into the darkness, never to be heard from again. I am not saying that no one has ever put the "guru education" to good use, but I think it is actually quite rare to hear from someone who has been doing for a while and thinks they did a good thing by investing in these courses.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Nov 18 2011, 13:20
Originally posted by David Tower:
Originally posted by Stinson Bland:
Joe,

It seems strange that you posted about how great Sean's coarse is and it was just seconds after Sean posted the same "I've personally been through his entire course" on your thread. Do you guys work with one another?

Joe McCall's Wholesale Lease Options Course?

Originally posted by Sean Terry:
Hey Dan,

When marketing for sellers you'll get a lot of different types of deals that come across your desk. High equity deals, low equity deals, no equity deals and upside down deals.

For properties that have little to no equity (which are the majority) Joes program is by far the best out there to learn how to structure little to no equity deals and turn them into profits.

His lead generation method are unique and works. I've personally been through his entire course and give it my highest recommendation.

Good luck with your investing!!

Sean :D

I think it would raise a red flag if Sean came on and claimed to be the final and best authority on all things wholesaling, what's wrong with recommending someone else's material?

Well, when I read Stinson's post, I gathered that Stinson was implying that there was an "appearance" that these two individuals were doing a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" type of arrangement with the recommendations. So rather than having truly "independent" or "arm's length" recommendations, we get the appearance of recommendations from some sort of affiliation. And there being no mention of any affiliation by either party when making the recommendation certainly contributes further to that same appearance - why not make the disclosure?

User Stats

Votes
Michael G.
  • Wholesaler
  • Bay Shore, NY
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Bay Shore, NY
Replied Nov 18 2011, 15:41
That is the ultimate question. I have talked to quite a few successful investors and none of them mentions a guru as their source for education. On the flip side, I have heard from a ton of people who have praised gurus, but they seem to fade into the darkness, never to be heard from again. I am not saying that no one has ever put the "guru education" to good

Its funny because most of the rehab guys I wholesale to never mention GURU courses.

Makes you wonder if one would not be better served asking for mentorship from RE investors already in the game vs taking GURU courses.

If I had to do it all over again I'd go the mentorship route.

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied May 2 2012, 15:35

David Tower - It has been over 8 months now since your last post and expectation that you would soon have a wholesale deal completed due to the education from flip2freedom. So, have you . . . ?

Another thread brought my attention to this one and several have mentioned the fact that those praising guru courses and materials always seem to fade into the darkness, whereas in comparison, those you got educated from mentors and other active investors are still around on this board talking about previous deals COMPLETED.
I know James Vermillion is one of many of them.

So for all the people (who already posted in this thread) who stated they felt this program was a great resource, how about sharing those success stories now!

User Stats

Votes
James Hiddle
  • Altus, OK
Votes |
  • Altus, OK
Replied May 2 2012, 17:39

I also like how these gurus come to BP when their course is mentioned,defend their position and just leave.

User Stats

Votes
James Vermillion
  • Lexington, KY
Votes |
  • Lexington, KY
Replied May 3 2012, 05:14

The returning theme with these threads is cut and run.

1) The "investors" who come here asking for more information about a program (after they have already spent the money). When they get honest opinions from people they then defend the program they are asking about (clearly knowing nothing about the program)
2) The "defenders" who show up with 0 posts and desperately defend the gurus. They talk about all the money they have made and then like magic, they are gone (although I am sure Josh makes some of them disappear).
3) The "gurus" themselves show up in defense of their programs. It usually goes "what, my program is a result of my vast experience in real estate investing...I am just looking to pass my secrets on to people. My program is a great value, we offer information, a great mentorship program, etc", and the guess what, they disappear never to return again.

So David Tower, how would rate your investment in flip2freedom? I hope you have had great success, but please fill us in as Will Barnard suggested.

User Stats

Votes
Luis A.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied May 3 2012, 05:33
Originally posted by David Tower:

While I have not yet completed a wholesale deal, I know without a doubt that it will happen soon and I also know without a doubt that I will have Sean Terry to thank for it.

That is quite a stretch. This is like me saying I am not yet a millionaire but I am sure I will become one...or I have not yet ran the Boston Marathon but I am sure I can finish it...

One tip I picked up a while ago from people that have actually achieved what I want to achieve is that if you have not done it then you do not know it.

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied May 3 2012, 07:48

[b]

Originally posted by Keith Ottman:
great discussion.

prediction for bp: joshua will select, or, bp members will vote to have one bp online mentor monitor specific forums, and then that mentor will share his/her expert opinion, which will bring topics to a knowledgeable finish.

i say this because often enough a topic will be introduced, and someone will respond with what seems to be good, sound advice/insight. but then, another member will respond, and then that member's advice/insight may contradict the information of the original poster. then, ongoing discussion entails, and either the most persuasive responders share their knowledge or the whole discussion fades. sometimes you're left with asking yourself who's right, and what is the accurate answer to the original post or question?

First welcome to BP!

I assure you that's not the case, while Jon is a monitor and does contribute greatly nothing is set up in BP, if it were I think I would have caught on by now.

Myself, I simply cruise around the forum titles and see what is interesting to me or if I have something to contribute. I do not pump any thread.

I vote for good comments. I have voted for comments made by some that are rather new and still need to do alot of learning, but if they made a good comment....bam, they get a kiddo!

The newer they are the more slack I cut, to a point. My votes are never to sway a favorite member.

That's just me but stick around and I think you'll find there are no such issues.

As to Michael's comments, BP is great and has better info than probably any one person can dole out, but many just can't read and do, a mentor on a persoanl level in a specific deal can't be replaced by any book, tape, CD, forum or phone call for that matter....IMO

BP is worth more than any guru program I know of as to content, so get all you can for free, just takes a little effort.

User Stats

Votes
Maria-Jose De Massa
  • Venice, CA
Votes |
  • Venice, CA
Replied Nov 9 2012, 00:24

I will be signing up for the Tycoon member account, I have been listening to Sean Terry's podcast every time I'm driving to work. I truly like that guy, the vibe that you get from him is so transparent. I discovered his website through a YouTube video after I went to a Rich Dad Poor Dad 3 day seminar, I was SOOOOOO disappointed after seeing that Rich Dad's company is ripping you off with a wholesale course that was $10,000! of course I didn't buy it, I was really motivated with the idea of making money but seeing how they try to sell you all their programs I started looking for another websites that would have the wholesale keyword. I'm so glad I did, I found Flip2Freedom!
I have listened to more than half of the PODCASTS in iTunes (around 50 of them), I think they are AWESOME, and I'm pretty sure Sean will keep on receiving BLESSINGS and more blessings because what he shares with people is awesome, he motivates me so much. He is truly a charismatic person. Paying $590 or something like that is truly worth it in my opinion, I will let you know after I do my first deal.
I live in California, I know the houses are mega expensive, I wonder if wholesaling in CA is doable... Is anybody doing wholesale in Los Angeles area? let me know :)

Cheers!
Maria Jose

User Stats

Votes
Terry Peters
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Sep 1 2016, 08:32

Regarding Sean Terry's Flip2freedom Academy.  Are their any references here by those who've taken the course(s) and are experiencing success due to the academy?

User Stats

Votes
Justin Harris
  • Slidell, LA
Votes |
  • Slidell, LA
Replied Dec 17 2016, 16:33

I know this post is old but for what its worth ,if it where not for Sean Terry flip2freedom podcast I would not have closed my first two wholesale deals (one netting me $8,200)

I don't think you could put a price on the information that he gives away for free...and if his free information is that good I am pretty sure the info that he charges for is 10x better 

User Stats

Votes
Dante Williams
  • Wholesaler
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Dec 18 2016, 07:48

I'm a current Flip 2 Freedom Academy member. I actually started wholesaling and completed my first couple of deals using only free real estate blogs, and YouTube channels.

Having been on both sides of the discussion I know that deals can be done using only free resources. HOWEVER, the knowledge that I gained from joining F2F sped up my learning tremendously and made me more organized and focused. The cost of the course delivers the best value that I've seen so far. I've literally seen friends and family attend seminars and sign up for a similar price from well known gurus but, they only receive pieces of the information in the course and need to up grade for thousands more in order to get the full value of what they've already purchased.

Sean's course had the following benefits for ME:
1. Video modules that I could move through at my own pace.
2. Clear and easy to follow format
3. All material was relevant and actionable so, it's on the purchaser to take action
4. Sample marketing programs and strategies thoroughly explained
5. No ridiculously, shady, sales tactics such as "we've made awesome new updates to the program and to receive those updates please pay us a hell of a lot more money". Your a lifetime member and your membership includes any new updates to the program purchased.

Do your research and line up the top 5 gurus courses and compare the price to value of each. Make sure to take into consideration how often they are pushing "new" courses and "updates". And form your own conclusion if it's worth it to you.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Pratti
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Knoxville, TN
Replied Jul 27 2017, 20:20

Sean has outstanding podcasts, and really cares about teaching.  Does most of the podcasts on his own, and makes them very long.  Not sure about the seminar but I love his podcasts

User Stats

Votes
Steven E Lasseigne
  • Ontario, CA
Votes |
  • Ontario, CA
Replied Jul 8 2018, 11:36

Just my two cents. When looking for a mentor I have found that people or are willing to be mentors for someone they either want you to work for them for free or pay them, which is fine I understand that. The other options are courses like Flip 2 Freedom (Sean Terry) or Clever Investor (Cody Sperber) or others.  in my research these are the most reputable. The common theme here in BP is ... all the info you need is here for free, which it is.

For some people who works 40 + hours per week and wants to get out of that  9-5 asap, they may not want to take the time to sift through all threads, pod casts and such, these courses may be a more time efficient way plus from what I seen they off money back Guarantees. So if they don't work for you, you get your money back. Again just my two cents

User Stats

Votes
Replied Apr 26 2022, 10:35

No I personally have never purchased a course because at the end of the day, ACTION- is what comes down to it.  Sean Terry is far from a scam artist though, he knows his stuff. However, even if you get one of his courses, nearly 85-90% of those who do don’t do much with it.  Why? Because most want a magic bullet without taking action and the results are the same.  For instance, most of what he teaches can be found on YouTube and the internet without even buying his program. For example, I’ve done 12 deals that would reflect his “retail buyer program”. The program is $997.00 and I didn’t both buying it. Why? Not so much the people who are representing the program, but more so they charge that upfront because they are assuming most won’t do anything with the info given.  Let’s say they provided it for 100% free retail Buyer profits in exchange for a percentage of your profit.  Well, so many people will learn the info and a very small fee will actually go and do it.  Thus, I don’t blame them for charging that price.  my best advice is to take the information you’re learning piece it all together. Yes Sean Terry’s “Retail Buyer profits system“ does have ironclad contracts to use, Scripps, and other fluff that some may find useful. For example they have a script where you can position the seller and agreeing to the “Retail Buyer profit system“. For me I use my own strategies and just followed their paperwork. I told seller that I am a real estate Wholesaler however I have the income to guarantee that the deal will close on the date given. I also told them I’ll pay $5,000 additional at closing just to add them to the program.  Once they agreed here’s how it was broken down:

The home was fairly furnished with little to no work. The ARV was $189,000.00 and the home was in great shape. The owner had a divorce and was in the process of liquidating his rental portfolio. He didn't care how long just that he had to sell-off this property. I contacted him before he even listed with an agent @ $105,000. The home needed maybe $2-$5,000 of quick paint, touch ups, etc. Now, the seller didn't care how long, just as long as he could get $105,000. I was able to secure the deal with him for $105,000 then, a few days later I used Sean Terry's real estate retail buyer program script he intermittently gave away during his explanation video.

“hey Mr Seller, now I’m not charging commissions, fees  not do you have to pay any closing costs if you would like to join my retail buyer program”

Seller: Huh?

Me: Lol, basically for $5,000 additional, you will allow me to market your property through an agent (whom I will pay) and will get this place sold at retail.  If he can’t, I buy it for $110,000 anyway just for joining.  

Seller: OK but you were selling my property at retail now even though I’m selling it to you at a discount so how is that fair?

Now with that question above most people regardless if they took Shaun Terry's course or not will probably freeze up not know what to say become confused and probably say something they shut it and then lose the deal in the first place. This is when your job begins not ends then responded "totally understand where you're coming from and your concern about that, yes I will be selling this for retail and I will get some profit out of it however you have to understand most of that profit that is made through the retail system I'm paying for all the appraisals I'm paying for the closing expenses I'm playing for the agency fees I'm paying for everything else in between as well as all the demands from the bank you don't have to worry about anything you'll be getting that same amount regardless if you wanna go with a realtor I bet you well however if you do go with that realtor at the end of the day you may even receive less than what I'm offering you at $110,000. After a couple of days thinking about it, the seller said let's do this"! Now I made sure I remembered and wrote down what Schein Terry's Retail Buyer program asked for, so I created two templates 1) Power of attorney on behalf of the seller for a certain timeframe 2) Notice of Interest against the property for a certain timeframe. The notice of interest coupled with the power of attorney allowed me to embed myself within the deal where the seller couldn't go around me and sell to any Buyer nor could a buyer bring an offer to the seller behind my back and buy the property without me releasing the notice of interest. I then, being a licensed realtor myself, put it up on the MLS with their permission. Remember now they're receiving $5000 more of what we originally agreed upon for me to do this if this fails I still have to buy the property at $110,000. Now this is an example of someone taking "action" and I didn't need a $997 program to do it however there was some bumps along the way and some edge of your seat type of stuff. But just like everything it was a learning curve that I conquered. So I then posted the advertisement on the MLS to a vast area of hungry Retail Buyer‘s within a market with very low inventory. Within three days I found a pre-qualified buyer retail looking for a home that loved it. I showed the home to them and they show me the preapproval and they wanted to go forward at $180,000 . I told him I will get right back with them within a day. Again I am playing the REALTOR hair because I have my license, however a wholesaler would just communicate to a licensed real estate agent of what to say when an offer is given to them. Always give about a day or two between the offers yes you could lose that offer to that buyer moves on but do you want to keep it open for the highest possible bidder in this type of market. Not even a day later somebody came with $195,000, when the buyer who asked to purchase it at 180 K called I told them we had a higher offer in place and I apologize. It became a bidding war between these two buyers where the last buyer won the contract at $210,000. The whole process took about 35 days kind of drawn out mostly the bank which was Chase I believe. Chase did the appraisal had an inspection and they came up with something in regards to the outside walkway which only cost $500 to repair. The appraisal came out to be $215,000.00. I then told the bank that I will pay for all of that at closing and they agreed. I told them and the title agent to take the 500 out of my fee as well as all the closing expenses, as well as our preferred costs accrued during this closing process. Their entire closing bill was $18,570.76 at closing. My contract with the seller was $110,000, on the disposition side with the bank and the Retail Buyer obviously I couldn't assign the deal to them. I executed another buyer side sales agreement with the seller with an addendum. The addendum basically broke down the difference between the original purchase and sales agreement for $110,000 and the purchase and sales agreement with Chase and their client a.k.a. the borrower for $210,000. I broke down the math and how the profit will be used to pay for the inspections, appraisals, closing costs for both buyer and seller, the $500 requested bank repairs, and my cost to release the notice of interest so that their buyer can move forward with the purchase.
After a few days of back-and-forth of signing the addendum attached to the purchase agreement the bank conceded, and we entered into the agreement. Now on day 37 I believe we finally closed escrow the buyer got his $110,000 of net payment, the buyer got their dream home, and I was paid.  The break down:

-Closing Costs: $12,500

-Inspection: $225.00

Appraisal: $345.00

Repairs: $500.00

Updates to home: $5,000.76

Total cost: $18,570.76

Buyer Paid: $210,000

Purchase Agreement: $110,000

Total left over: $100,000.00

Total Costs: $18,570.76

Payment by Chase bank to investor for releasing notice of interest for subject property:

My Profit Fee: $81,429.24

i repeated this process and got better everything time.  I did roughly 15-16 of these deals with only 12 being successful (not bad for not buying the program). I’m sure if I bought the program it would’ve been a much smoother process in the beginning and probably would’ve help me with the ones I lost because some loopholes didn’t allow me to do what I wanted to do which I’m sure there was a way around them which I found out after the fact. However just like everything I learned as I went . Now you have to look at Sean Terry’s position. He’s banking on you to fail not because he’s a bad guy he’s actually a great guy but he just knows how humans are these days. You’ll buy all of this fluff all these shiny objects even though his is a value, however, he knows that  most will not take action steps to actually execute what is being taught.

User Stats

Votes
Ed Brancheau
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Coach
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Coach
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Nov 15 2022, 21:07

@Gary Leonard This is what I love about BP. I haven't logged in for a while because I've been so busy, but I love your post.

First of all, I'm thrilled to hear you had the success you had and that you're keeping it up. It took me two years to get out of my head and do a deal.

Second, I jumped on BP because, while I've watched some of Sean Terry's videos, I don't know too much about his reputation. And, let's face it, there are fake "gurus" out there scamming people's money.

What I also like about your post is that it shows that you can do it on your own, while it also admits that going through the course would have saved you time and probably would have made you more money.

I find it funny when people on BP make it seem like you're just wasting your money if you buy a course rather than watch hundreds of Youtube videos and read hundreds of posts -- although everyone should because you never know what little nugget you'll dig up.

You nailed it when you said that what your paying for when you buy a course is TIME.

Sure, there's a lot of amazing free content out there for just about any topic one can think of. But the problem is sifting through the coal to find the diamond.

One could spend years digging for diamonds and learning to craft them into a ring. Or they can go to a jewelry store and drop $10K to buy a beautiful diamond ring.

How many people who say one should only watch videos and read posts crafted their wedding rings?

ZERO!

There's only one thing that I disagree with you... I'm sure that he's not banking on one to fail just because he says that he'll give one's money back when they do a deal.

First of all, he's offering a 30-day money-back guarantee which a lot of other people don't offer because THEY ARE hedging their bets that most people won't take action.

They worry that they'll have a ton of refunds, or people will ask for a refund and keep the content.

And they're not wrong. There are plenty of unscrupulous people that do this.

But they fail to realize that if they offered a satisfaction guarantee, they'd make a lot more sales than they get scammed for.

Now with Sean, his offer to refund the purchase if one makes a deal is widely used because it gets people to take imperfect action. You'd be surprised how many people, even though they'll make a bunch of money, won't take action without a little prize like that.

It also serves another purpose... It reveals who the action-takers are. He's building a huge list of action-takers with whom he can do deals.

Plus, hardly any of the action-takers that qualify take people up on these offers. Joe McCall does this, and he told me only about 2% ask for their money back. Everyone else is simply happy with making money that they feel guilty asking for their money back.

Finally, you are right that most people won't take action. But it's shocking how large of a percentage of buyers won't ask for a refund even though they could because it's essentially admitting that they failed. And people hate to admit that.

Stay Awesome!