Votes |
HELOCs on Investment Property in DC Area

Tiana O.
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Washington, DC
Posted Aug 31 2018, 09:30

Hey BP Fam, 

I'm having a hard time finding a bank that will do HELOCs on rental properties in the DC (DMV area). People have mentioned that I might want to try a local lender or credit union. I'm not a part of any credit unions. 

Does anyone know of any local lenders that provide HELOCs for investment properties?

User Stats

Votes
Teresa F.
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Clinton, MD
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Broker
  • Clinton, MD
Replied Aug 31 2018, 09:53

Hi Tiana -- My LLC has a couple of business loans secured by rental property. Best, Teresa

User Stats

Votes
Nicole A.
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida
ModeratorReplied Aug 31 2018, 10:28

@Tiana O. You can likely become a member of several credit unions as they don't all have much of a restriction on membership.

While we can not give you recommendations here in this thread (against forum rules to give recommendations outside the marketplace), we can give you advice. You're correct in talking to smaller local banks.

The other big thing is that rather than the term "HELOC", for your rentals, you'll want to ask for a "line of credit" secured by your rental. Essentially the same thing, but if you call it a HELOC, they might just say "oh no we don't do that".

Go out and visit a few banks! Best of luck!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Tiana O.
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Washington, DC
Replied Jan 19 2019, 18:41
Originally posted by @Nicole A.:

@Tiana O. You can likely become a member of several credit unions as they don't all have much of a restriction on membership.

While we can not give you recommendations here in this thread (against forum rules to give recommendations outside the marketplace), we can give you advice. You're correct in talking to smaller local banks.

The other big thing is that rather than the term "HELOC", for your rentals, you'll want to ask for a "line of credit" secured by your rental. Essentially the same thing, but if you call it a HELOC, they might just say "oh no we don't do that".

Go out and visit a few banks! Best of luck!

Such a good idea. I've heard of people getting bank lines of credits. So essentially instead of getting an unsecured line of credit, I can ask for a general line of credit and just use my rental as collateral. Way to think outside the box!! I'm going to look into this.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Svendsen
Pro Member
  • Front Royal, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Front Royal, VA
Replied Jan 19 2019, 18:48

Penfed gave me a 80% LTV HELOC on my rental property and soon going to be doing a 90% LTV ON my primary residence with them. Very easy to join and great service. They are in the dc area.