• Investor
  • Boulder CO and St Petersburg, FL
Votes |
Reliable, skilled, reasonable GC needed in St Petersburg FL

Annie Lipscomb
  • Investor
Posted Jan 18 2022, 13:58
Hello fellow investors!  I have a single family home in St Pete that needs some work -- new kitchen and a few other items.  I might tackle some of it myself, but I'm also open to farming it all out.  I live in Colorado typically, but I am currently living in St Petersburg and not super networked here yet.  (and I need to improve my profile on here as I'm not that active!)  Please send me any recommendations you have for reliable GCs.  Not looking for "high end" GC's; and also hope to avoid unskilled/unreliable hacks.  I'm very appreciative of any referrals!!

User Stats

Votes
Dan Maciejewski
  • Realtor
  • PInellas County Largo, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • PInellas County Largo, FL
Replied Jan 19 2022, 06:01

That's one of those "pick 2" lists!  The reliable and skilled ones aren't cheap, and the cheap ones tend to not be so reliable.

With the amount of work the good contractors are getting, they tend to not want the smaller jobs, or to be more accurate, they tend to not want the lower cost, small jobs.  Especially now that the Canadian snowbirds have come and are competing with the others for labor.

A lot of the kitchen/bath remodel guys companies will be able to get your counters/cabinets/sink/small plumbing done at a reasonable price -- depending on what you consider reasonable!  The good ones tend to be licensed builders or GCs so they should also have connections that can handle your other stuff, as well.  They tend to stick to the high profit kitchen/bath stuff but know the contractors around that can handle other things.  

If you're not on nextdoor for your rentals, get on it and search "businesses" by ratings or neighbor reviews.  Then you can get quotes and talk to the top 10% and see who you think is a best fit.

User Stats

Votes
Annie Lipscomb
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied Jan 26 2022, 10:49

Hi Dan, thanks for taking the time to reply!  I have had problems joining Nextdoor here because I own properties in two other states -- so they won't add me for Florida just yet (I'm working on this!)  -- and yes, I am very familiar with the "pick two" list and a firm believer in it.  I am def not looking for cheap. (I'm just not looking for higher end GCs that cater primarily to emotional thinking homeowners.)  I also have very realistic expectations on timing.  My goal is professional, reliable, licensed and no hacks that aren't following code. I'm currently gathering positive references via filtering local facebook groups, since I can't get onto nextdoor just yet... we shall see how that works out!  Regardless, thanks for the reply. Annie

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Reece Register
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Feb 3 2022, 11:48

The Maintenance Pros of Tampa work specifically with PMs and investors for small to large jobs.