Awesome online resources I have been using for researching properties

46 Replies

@Heather Jones   That's good to know. As a rule, I don't allow any third party apps access to my contacts for reasons like this. Thank you for the heads up!

@NA Jones, @Rodney Kuhl , @Tom Mole ,  @Account Closed , and @Account Closed 

For another great online resource, check out: www.USA.com

You can get demographics at any level (City, zip, etc). Once you get down to the zipcode level, you can narrow down to the street level by clicking "OTHER". Once you are there, they have a listing of all of the names and numbers on the street! Not bad if you want to contact a vacant lot!

I've used neighborhoodscout. I'll have to check out the others. Thanks for the add.

Originally posted by @Jon Huber:

I've used neighborhoodscout. I'll have to check out the others. Thanks for the add.

Great list Jon. Have you seen rentfaxpro? I used it the other day. They claim lenders use to determain risk. Here is their spiel.

Faster, better, more profitable decisions about residential income property.       RentFax provides data-driven analytics to help investors, lenders, agents, property managers, and others assess and compare risk, determine rents, vacancy, and tenancy duration, and forecast gross and net income, providing unparalleled insight to any residential property.

thanks,

Matt

@Matt R.   Interesting source. I checked it out but it seems to be a paid site. To be honest, I am not looking to pay for a site especially if the info is free somewhere else. Thanks for the input though.

I'm a little late adding to this forum, but I just stumbled upon a fantastic tool for evaluating crime data - Raidsonline:  www.raidsonline.com.  

It is very current, much more so than Trulia, and will create a nifty heat map. You can go back 12 months and select by radius of an address as well.   

I find batchgeo.com really useful for mapping out comps, wholesaler's lists, etc 

Another rental comparison site that can be useful is hotpads.com because you can see what's on the rental market and easily E if it's actually comparable 

@Kara Haney I often use Loopnet just to get the contacts. I have always been told that Loopnet is where commercial properties go to die. You've got the right idea by going to the individual brokers website.

Niche.com is pretty nice. Easy to use interface. The school rating is nice. Thanks for the input!!

Hi Jon, hi all,

I'm all about open source data and software so I have to recommend the QGIS software and the US Census data. The 2016 Census data is available now. QGIS is free-to-download and free-to-use geographic information science (GIS) software.

The Census data is also free, of course, and it usually comes in spreadsheets (.csv and .xcl). However, by using QGIS, the real power in the Census data is found in their "shapefiles".

These they call TIGERLine and if you have QGIS you can open them up as full-on maps. You can then read the software instructions (37 pages long but worth it) and you will know how you can use QGIS to display the Census data in various, useful ways.

For example, if you wanted to know which neighborhoods were, in 2016, above average in median income or were, in 2016, more owner occupied than renter occupied you could see it on the map in equal interval categories (100-75%, 75-50%, etc.) or custom categories (0-50%, 50-60%, etc).

I'm not sure this is what you're looking for because all the posts so far haven't mentioned Census data. Also, I'm new here so I want to make sure to follow the rules: I am not affiliated or receiving compensation, of any type, from the US Census or QGIS.

Absolutely. So much data is out there, beyond the Census. For instance, I'm looking at Duluth, MN. I'm not really interested in buying there. It's a class project. Personally, MN is too cold for me but I have a ton of data on it, all the way down to the parcels' tax info. The Census doesn't supply that; I got the shapefiles free from the state.