Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mustafa Erden
Votes |
User Stats

Votes
Greg Scott
Pro Member
#4 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
  • Rental Property Investor
  • SE Michigan
Replied Apr 29 2023, 18:26

I would have different answers for commercial properties.  For residential SF, duplexes, triplexes, or quads, this is my (non-lawyer) experience

Pros for in your name:  1) Easier  2) Access to better financing  3) You don't have to worry about due-on-sale clause

Cons for in your name: 1) Extra liability exposure if any claim exceeds your insurance liability coverage 2) Lots of phone calls from people trying to buy your rent property 3) Lots of phone calls from people trying to buy your rent property

Pros for in an LLC 1) Theoretically unlimited liability protection from the property in the LLC if it is manage correctly 2) Greater potential for anonymity if you are willing to incorporate in certain states and pay for Resident Agents 3) It feels cool to have a company

Cons for an LLC 1) 50% of people don't do it right so they really have zero LLC protection 2) It costs more, both in terms of financing and annual fees (if you do it right) 3) LLCs provides your asset no protection against something YOU might do (like crash a car) while umbrella insurance can provide protection for you from your property and for your property from things you might do.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 30 2023, 06:50

Buying in your LLC will build your business credit and will start the road to being qualified for commercial loans. It is also easier for recordkeeping.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Brett Deas
  • Colorado
Votes |
  • Colorado
Replied Apr 30 2023, 09:48

You can always quitclaim it into an llc later. IMO the only plus for putting it into an llc early is for business credit, otherwise the legal protection is not as much as people think and your landlord insurance should cover almost all issues that come up. 

User Stats

Votes
Ted Schirm Jr
  • Lender
Votes |
  • Lender
Replied May 24 2023, 08:27

WIth an LLC you are limited to where you can get financing as conventional financing won't allow it. Some people switch the title over to an LLC after getting financing but there have been cases that the investor will find out and call the note due (does not happen with any great frequency but has been known to happen) There are options, like a DSCR loan, without going to a full commerical lender and closing the property in an LLC and save on a lot of the costs (environmental study for one). If you are intersted in having a chat shoot me a message.

I have worked with a number of people who BRRRR and we have come up with long term plans to make sure not only the first deal has gone well but everything is set up for the next one.

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Syrios
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Residential Real Estate Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
ModeratorReplied May 24 2023, 10:55

I would generally advise an LLC for liability reasons. The only exception is that you can only get Fannie/Freddie loans in your own name (and FHA if you're buying yourself). So if you intend to get those loans, I would buy in your own name (you can transfer them into your LLC but that technically triggers the due on sales clause so there is a small risk there), but otherwise I would use an LLC.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied May 24 2023, 13:41

@Mustafa Erden

Business credit for owning rentals does nothing for you. Banks won’t lend for investments they lend for active businesses, so doing it to build business credit is a farse