• Miami, FL
Votes |
Possible condo deal. Need opinions.

Carlos Rovira
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Posted Jun 26 2015, 19:23
I've got a potential deal here and need some advice. Here it goes: It is a 2/1 Condo unit in Hialeah, FL (a very competitive rental market). Price: $80-85k (market value ~$105k). Potential Rent: $1,300/mo HOA Fee: $215/mo (includes flood insurance) Insurance: ~$90/mo (aside from flood - hurricane, fire, etc.) Taxes: ~$90/mo Mortgage PMT: $350/mo I am paying using an equity line of credit from another property so I'm essentially putting zero down. Plan is to refinance and recover the equity line to continue buying. My concerns are the following: 1) I've never owned a condo and the idea of an HOA scares me 2) I'm buying this from a "pushy" wholesaler (no offense to wholesalers) who wants to close quickly and not allow me to have an inspection period. The wholesale company bought it at auction and has been holding it for a few weeks. Red flag? The cash flow is excellent, so it's hard to turn away from the deal. Thoughts?

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jun 26 2015, 19:41

If your buying a property that is $20-$25k below market value and is an auction property I would damn well want to do an inspection as you can spend that pretty quickly.

Also for a condo, make sure to get a copy of the condo documents as well as the last budget the association did. 

Also ask for information on the condo board and contact them and see if there are any special assessments planned or large capital purchases/improvements in the next five years.

Also ask what the HOA fees were for the last five years (to see a pattern if they are rising)

I had a condo under agreement and the seller "forgot" to tell me there was a $7,000 special assessment (condos were selling for $40k) - when I went back to the seller they noted the price was based on the assessment. Needless to say the deal fell through.

User Stats

Votes
Carolina E.
  • Investor
  • NW Indiana
Votes |
  • Investor
  • NW Indiana
Replied Jun 26 2015, 19:58

@Carlos Rovira Make sure the HOA fees are up to date. I believe some states you are liable for the past 6 months.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Gilbert Dominguez
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jun 26 2015, 20:22

First do not leap. Condo ownership and renting your condo is something you should really research and be prepared for. Get to know the HOA and the CC&Rs if you do not know what CC&Rs then you should not purchase any condo at this time.

Some HOA restrict an owner from renting out their units until such time as they have actually lived in them for a extended period of time maybe between one and two years.

You need to check with your insurance agent and review your policy to make sure you are adequately covered for renting our your unit. 

Before I would buy a condo I would interview several condo owners and learn from them about their experience, ask questions. 

How would you know what condition the place is in if you cannot do an inspection? How do you really know what you are buying?

You said potential rents does the mean the unit is currently empty?

Make sure. There really is allot to know and learn about owning and renting condos that can be very different than owning and renting single family units.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Combs
  • Investor
  • Cary, NC
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cary, NC
Replied Jun 26 2015, 20:37

As others have said, do your due diligence on the HOA. Is there a history of special assessments? What is the delinquency with dues? What are there reserves? Also, talk to some of the owners. Some condo complexes are passive aggressive towards rents, making their lives and yours difficult. Are the neighbors pleased with the operation of the HOA?

User Stats

Votes
Carlos Rovira
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Replied Jun 27 2015, 05:04

@Chris Seveney@Carolina E.@Gilbert Dominguez@Steve Combs

Thanks to all!

A quick update here. I will be getting an Estoppel Letter from the HOA on Monday (supposedly). I've been told by the wholesaler that, while they can't provide an inspection period, I can come in and out of the place prior to even submitting an offer, and I'd get "first dibs" should I decide to buy it (assume within a reasonable amount of time).

In the mean time, I am compiling a list of things I'd like to check with the HOA as part of my due diligence with them. Most of this is based on your comments above, but any additional questions / concerns are welcome.

1) Were there any special assessments in the past (if not stated in the estoppel letter) or any imminent in the near future?

2) What is their policy on owners renting their units?

3) Is there a specific process I need to follow to get renters approved?

4) Acquire a copy of the condo documents (CC&R) and previous budget

5) What are their reserves?

6) Find out what the HOA fees have been in the last 5 years

I am going today to check it out (it's on lockbox) and I will knock on some doors and speak with some of the neighbors.

Thanks again, everyone!

User Stats

Votes
William Price
  • Investor
  • Arlington, VA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Arlington, VA
Replied Jun 27 2015, 05:29

In addition to all of the above, I would ask for the minutes from the last year.  Sometimes there is discussion about upcoming projects (new roof, paving parking lot, etc), that could indicate a large special assessment is about to happen.

User Stats

Votes
David O.
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami Beach, FL
Replied Jun 29 2015, 11:20

@Carlos Rovira

Carlos, I can assist you with all of this and any further questions during our meeting as I own several condo properties and I have experience in dealing with the associations.