Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Keith Meyer
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Help Me to Talk Myself Out of This Quadplex in Kansas City

Keith Meyer
  • San Diego, CA
Posted

Hello BP Community,

As I continue forward with my 2018 resolution to analyze at least one deal per day, I came across this listing on Loopnet for a quadplex in south Kansas City, MO. As Kevin Bupp says, Loopnet is often the dumping ground for RE deals, so I'm mainly using the site as a tool to hone my analytics skills, and to learn how to create my own proforma's rather than take the broker's provided proforma at face value.

The Loopnet proforma for this subject quadplex in KC is kind of all over the place, so I've re-run the numbers with my own conservative estimates. I'd appreciate any feedback on my analysis, especially from investors with knowledge of the area, to help breakdown specifically why this is probably not a good deal given it made it all the way to Loopnet.

# Units4900 sq ft/unit2 bd 1 bath
Avg Monthly Rent per Unit (current from Proforma)$900
Monthly EGI$3,600
Purchase Price$350,000Purchase Cap Rate5.74%
Inspection + Appraisal Fee$1,000
Closing Costs$10,000
TOTAL AMT FINANCED$361,000
Down Payment$72,200DP %20.00%
Loan Balance$277,800
Interest Rate5.00%
Loan Terms (Months)36030 years
Monthly Debt Serv-$1,491
Annual Debt Serv-$17,895
Est. Operating Expense (% of EGI)50%
Est. Vacancy %7%
Annual EGI minus Vacancy$40,176
Annual NOI$20,088
Annual Cash Flow$2,193
Cash on Cash %3.04%
Monthly Rent Ratio (% of Purchase Price)1.03%
Debt Service Coverage Ratio1.12
Debt Yield Ratio7%
Breakeven Rate95%
Gross Rent Multiplier8.71

A couple of takeaways I see:

1. Cash on Cash of ~3% is not good. An investor would need to look into alternate financing options such as Seller Financing to lower cash-in and increase this metric. Other option would be to raise rents to increase cash flow. Not being all that familiar with the KC market, I'm not sure if this particular area would bear an increase above $900/month for 2 BD 1 BA. Any KC investors want to weigh in here? (NOTE: This appears to be a newly rehabbed property, so upfront CapEx would at least probably be minimal.)
  2. Other metrics such as Rent/Price Ratio, DSCR, GRM appear to at least be in the ballpark of recommended rules of thumb. I used pretty conservative figures of 50% Op Expense with an additional 7% Vacancy, so there's potential for these to be a tad higher in reality.

Are there any other red flags or key metrics I'm completely missing? I'm working to train my thought process to more quickly screen and identify deals worth pursuing, at which point I would take a deeper dive into the individual markets as a next step.

Any feedback is appreciated, and thank you in advance for helping to walk me through this exercise!

Loading replies...