• Grasonville, MD
Votes |
Splitting a SFH into two dwellings in Maryland

Ken Nyczaj
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Grasonville, MD
Posted Feb 26 2018, 04:39
Hello everyone, One of the houses I’ve had my eye on lately has the potential to be split into two separate dwellings. Currently, the house is a 4 bed 1.5 bath. And the back master bedroom was an addition built on at some point which is approximately a 20 x 20 room. It already has a rear entrance built in with steps leading up to the door making it a prime candidate for this. My equity partner who is a GC seems confident he can make this into an efficiency with a full bath, kitchenette, washer/ dryer and place for a bed. We would take down another wall to increase its SF to About 500SF without losing the 3 bed 1.5 bath on the main side of the house. So one side is 1 bed 1 bath around 500SF and the other side 3 bed 1.5 bath around 900SF. Anyone have experience with this? We are investing in Maryland. I’d imagine the electrical and plumbing needs to be done by a licensed contractor which isn’t a problem- he has subs that are licensed and he is a licensed GC. Any additional permits need to split a house? Plus whole house is on oil heat which I don’t believe can be split with two separate meters so our plan is to block the duct to the efficiency side and put in its own heating element, Propane wall unit or Electric wall unit. Efficiency side Tenant will be billed separately for this unit. One last thing! We must cut out the sidewalk for a second driveway which gets the county involved. Anyone have experience calling the county to cut and ramp out a sidewalk for a second driveway? On top of all these expenses the numbers do work especially with the two incomes. We’re estimating around $40,000 in expenses with him doing the work. We are 50/50 equity partners and he is very experienced so I trust his numbers. Thank you

Loading replies...