Skip to content
Real Estate News & Current Events

User Stats

Votes
Mike Schelske
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
How would I pick a state to move to, that is good for investing?

Mike Schelske
  • Las Vegas, NV
Posted Feb 5 2018, 18:36

I plan on leaving California at the end of 2018, maybe earlier. The cost of living is to high, and there are just way to many people here. What I would like to do is find a market that has potential for investing, but won't break the bank. I know that less people means less renters, but I just want to be in an area that is a little slower. So, how would I go about valuating a state, county, city, and so on? 

User Stats

Votes
Bettina F.
  • Investor
  • Post Falls, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Post Falls, ID
Replied Feb 5 2018, 19:38
Check out Idaho. Growing state, property prices are going to look very low to you, but have been appreciating. Unemploment is lowest in the nation. Business friendly state. You will have to adapt to snow in winter. Idaho is a right to work, balanced budget state. There are websites that rank the states by their business friendliness. Idaho usually ranks about #8 in the nation.

User Stats

Votes
Will G.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Maryville, Tn
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Maryville, Tn
Replied Feb 5 2018, 19:41

i think it might depend on what strategy you want to work at, but its tough everywhere right now, except maybe Ohio

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Alex S.
  • Investor
  • Metro East of St. Louis (Illinois)
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Metro East of St. Louis (Illinois)
Replied Feb 5 2018, 19:47

I'm becoming a believer in the southern/midwestern states (Alabama, Mississippi, Missouri, etc). Property values are wayyyyyy lower than CA and frankly they haven't risen all that much since 2008. They offer a lot of potential for rentals because you can find $80K ARV homes that will rent for $900 or $1000 pretty frequently. They are particularly worthwhile near colleges and military bases and the like. They are sometimes a little tougher to make the numbers work as a straight flip.

User Stats

Votes
Susan Maneck
  • Investor
  • Jackson, MS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jackson, MS
Replied Feb 5 2018, 20:14

I've paid 30-35K for houses that rent for $800-$850 a month in Jackson, MS. Granted these are become few and far between but the return is still good. Some of these were worth 100K plus prior to the recession and I expect them to return to that value. 

User Stats

Votes
Tom Ott
  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Feb 6 2018, 06:22
Originally posted by @Mike Schelske:

I plan on leaving California at the end of 2018, maybe earlier. The cost of living is to high, and there are just way to many people here. What I would like to do is find a market that has potential for investing, but won't break the bank. I know that less people means less renters, but I just want to be in an area that is a little slower. So, how would I go about valuating a state, county, city, and so on? 

Well, I always put my vote with Cleveland, Ohio! It is mainly because I live here and the cost of living is SO affordable! Check it out :)

User Stats

Votes
Mike Schelske
  • Las Vegas, NV
Votes |
  • Las Vegas, NV
Replied Feb 7 2018, 17:42

Thanks everyone. I have heard a lot about Ohio, but I didn't consider Alabama, Mississippi or Missouri. I like the idea of buy and hold, I think one of my hang ups is how to evaluate a property so I am not buying a lemon. And, not spending too much on a contractor to repair the property. 

User Stats

Votes
Susan Maneck
  • Investor
  • Jackson, MS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Jackson, MS
Replied Feb 7 2018, 20:06
Originally posted by @Mike Schelske:

Thanks everyone. I have heard a lot about Ohio, but I didn't consider Alabama, Mississippi or Missouri. I like the idea of buy and hold, I think one of my hang ups is how to evaluate a property so I am not buying a lemon. And, not spending too much on a contractor to repair the property. 

The good news is that labor charges are pretty cheap in Mississippi. 

User Stats

Votes
Jonna Weber
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boise, ID
ModeratorReplied Feb 8 2018, 17:43

@Mike Schelske -  We are seeing a lot of Bay area folks find Boise lately...both for moving and investing.  It's a 1 hour and 15 minute non-stop flight.