Skip to content
Marketing Your Property

User Stats

Votes
Sue Deng
  • Investor
  • Sunnyvale, CA
Votes |
Is it legal to contact owner whose house in Forclosure?

Sue Deng
  • Investor
  • Sunnyvale, CA
Posted Aug 8 2015, 17:46
I just start my wholesaling and flipping business. And plan to reach out to those owners who are in default either property tax or mortgage. I am in ca. Is it legal for me to contact those owners in distress? Thanks Su

User Stats

Votes
Nat C.
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Miami, FL
Replied Aug 8 2015, 19:39
Of course! I do it all the time. There are laws surrounding what you can and can't say. You're not supposed to say you're going to help them, you can stop the foreclosure and a few other things. If you're planning to offer them cash plus pay off the final judgement order then that's absolutely fine.

User Stats

Votes
Bill P.
  • Investor | Syndicator | Instructor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Investor | Syndicator | Instructor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Aug 8 2015, 20:01

@Sue Deng

Yes, but never overpromise and always deliver on your promise. Understand how to do wholesaling legally and don't cross state real estate laws. Remember you are selling your interest in a contract and not selling a house.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Sue Deng
  • Investor
  • Sunnyvale, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Sunnyvale, CA
Replied Aug 8 2015, 22:51

Thank you very much @Nat Chan and @Bill Pohl.

Does that mean when I speak to the owner I should not mention forclosure?  What are the other things I suppose not to say?  What do you normally say when you talk to them?

I am pretty new to real estate investing, but I am very passionate about it.

Greatly appreciate your help!

User Stats

Votes
Shawna Machen
  • Real Estate Invester
  • Odessa, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Invester
  • Odessa, TX
Replied Aug 14 2015, 22:16

Hi Sue!

I'm also a newbie and learning from these posts. Have you gotten any information on what you should not mention?

~Shawna

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hinrichs#2 All Forums Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Lake Oswego OR Summerlin, NV
Replied Aug 14 2015, 22:37

@Sue Deng  please take no offense.. however If you do not even understand this basic question.. and folks in foreclosure are under EXTREME duress and stress how is someone like you remotely going to help them.. other than for your own self serving gratification.

to come on BP and ask this question just floors me personally.. the blind leading the desperate and this usually leads to those your trying to rip equity form to end up just losing their house.  Plus the foreclosure ship has sailed in Santa Clara county good luck with that.