Skip to content
Marketing Your Property
Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saint Louis, MO
Votes |
What Is Your Favorite Direct Mail Service?

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saint Louis, MO
Posted Mar 24 2017, 16:18

Hi Bigger Pockets,

I want to start a direct mail campaign that is unique, budget-friendly, and most importantly – easy to systematize.

I was wondering what direct mail services you all like to use. 

Which ones are the most affordable? The most customizable? The easiest to use?

Also, is there anything you have learned that you wish you had known before you embarked on your first big direct mail campaign? I won't ask for your "special sauce," but are there any general tricks for making mail more likely to be opened, read, and acted upon?

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth Wilson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Mar 26 2017, 08:21

@Account Closed - The thing I wish I knew was how expensive this method is!  I wrongly thought we'd get more leads.  But we also just started this.

We've used yellowletterhq.com for the last two mailings.  Pricing is competitive.   

The biggest challenge is building your lists and finding creative ways to find properties that others aren't mailing to.  That is hard and takes times.

Biggest suggestion: once you find a way to find leads like this, hire a VA to actually build your weekly lists! We have had great success using upwork.com.

Best of luck!  Let me know if you find anything new to try!

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saint Louis, MO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Saint Louis, MO
Replied Mar 26 2017, 19:12

@Elizabeth Wilson Thank you for the advice! One question – do you only use your own custom mailing lists or do you ever use mailing list services? If so, have you had any luck with them? Which do you recommend?

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Elizabeth Wilson
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Mar 27 2017, 04:40

@Account Closed -  weare doing both.  So far only a handful of leads but only two mailings so not much to go on.  I'd hate to recommend without really knowing. I'll Keep you posted!

User Stats

Votes
Justin Silverio
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Andover, MA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Andover, MA
Replied Mar 27 2017, 07:23

I agree with @Elizabeth Wilson.  DM does get expensive so if you don't have the proper funds to at least stick it out for 6 months, I'd recommend either using a different method to find deals OR you can put the mailings together yourself.

User Stats

Votes
Ethan Summers
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 28 2017, 09:29

@Account Closed Keep in mind that you must be persistent it takes 5-7 campaigns to truly see a "great" return on your investment with direct mail. I have great experience with yellowletters.com. My best advice to stand out from the competition is that most real estate investors and realtors fear the hang up or are not able to locate correct phone numbers for the sellers they are looking for. This leads to them paying crazy amounts of money in direct mail just to get a deal. When i first started investing in real estate this was a huge problem dumping money into direct mail and not seeing a great return on my investment. That’s when my business partner and I began skip tracing phone numbers for potential sellers that were on our direct mail list and calling them directly. I then set followup sequences inside of my CRM which notifies me when it's time to give a cold lead a ring again.I've seen my response rate go from a 1-2% to around a 4-7% increase when i added cold calling.The beautiful thing is this entire process is now outsourced and it makes my business more profitable and gives me more time during the day. Let's keep ringing potential sellers directly it works wonders along side your direct mail efforts. If you have any questions PM me!