LeadPropeller or Investor Carrot?

81 Replies

I am looking to invest in one of these 2 website companies to start my online marketing but I don't know which is better. What do you prefer between the 2?

I like the work Danny Johnson has done and used his "free template" once upon a time. I haven't used Lead Propeller but am familiar with the product. I chose and used Investor Carrots Pro service for the better part of a year and highly recommended it. The content is good, the interface is simple and effective, and their customer support is ridiculously good! I actually just had to contact them again this weekend and was impressed again! 

Let us know what you choose!

Thx...I am leaning toward IC but someone I know uses Lead Propeller and mentioned that to me. 

@Matt Ellis            Here is a podcast with Trevor Mauch you might find it helpful

http://redpillinvestor.podbean.com//e/episode-390-content-marketing-interview-with-trevor-mauch/

Medium original logos 2016 nov 5059 583b07d489ea6Brandon L., The Luke Group Inc. | 571‑510‑0027 | http://www.fairfaxrealestateinsider.com | VA Agent # 0225225026, NV Agent # 181107

This post has been removed.

This post has been removed.

So far my experience with LeadPropeller has been great.  I've been very pleased with the ease of setup and support.  

As far as lead generation, We've just recently launched and it's too early to provide any trackable data.  

I have many REI clients (SEO), so I'm a bit familiar with both solutions. You cannot go wrong with either, however, I think Investor Carrot is hard to beat. It's built on a very flexible, but simple platform (kind of a WP platform but tweaked specifically for REI's) and is quite powerful "out of the box".

Customer service is outstanding (as told to me by clients), video training is outstanding and while they make things simple, it is still powerful and seems to convert leads into prospects very well.

An SEO expert could get both to do great things, but in my opinion IC also makes it very easy for a beginner to get up and running with a very effective online presence.

I am so glad I came across this post and I just started doing my own website and it is ALOT more work that one would think to put into a website for it to not only make sense but be effective and rank on Google. I am definitely going to start my IC this month and hopefully can start pulling more leads soon. UGH! Totally exhausted, really! Lesson learned on not reinventing the wheel. Its hard to do that when you consider yourself good at a few things. Lol.

Disclosure: Founder of InvestorCarrot

Hey Matt! Thanks for taking a look at InvestorCarrot! 

The coolest thing about this thread is the support the community has thrown our way :-) Thanks guys! Means a lot. 

Anyhow, LP is a solid product, and I don't know Danny but it looks like he's out to do the right thing and he'll keep innovating on his product, so it keeps us on our toes :-) 

Our prices aren't the lowest and never will be, but the long-term ROI that people are getting are insanely high.

But the main reasons people join InvestorCarrot and the reason people stick w/ us... 

• Our Focus On Results (SEO and Conversions) Over Everything Else: Since day 1 we made the conscious decision to focus on results over all else. In the past the real estate investor website companies would let you choose between a bunch of templates... let you customize them... and throw you out into the wild. In 2014 our members attracted almost 1million visitors to their sites and are converting over 13,000 leads per month through Carrot. So we have a lot of data and every month we're running between 10-30 tests on customers sites finding ways to improve conversions. When we do, we roll those changes out automatically. 

We don't focus on just making a pretty site, we focus on the #1 reason you need a website... to help you get leads and build credibility. That's it.  Scott Costello has a great post on his blog about how his Carrot site converts about 5x more leads than his non Carrot site that may help you look into that aspect of our service. 

So when you setup a motivated seller website... you don't get to choose between different templates. We have 1 that works. Then from there you can tweak the design to make it more unique to you. We have a whole array of different "content packs" we rotate through on sites and we do some cool SEO automation things to help give you a jumpstart on the SEO. 
  • Carrot sites have more page 1 and #1 rankings than any other website system: Carrot is just over a year old and because of some of the SEO automation built in... and our training... our customers hold more page 1 rankings (and #1 rankings) in markets across the country than any other single platform.  It's a combo of our platform, the tools in the platform, the data science built into our platform, and our training / support. 
  • Fanatical Support: One of the main ways we reinvest back into the platform and customers is w/ our support. We have great email support and live chat... + a robust online help center and weekly live mastermind calls for our Content Pro members w/ me every Tuesday. Where you can have me personally dive into your site on that call and I'll diagnose how you can rank better for specific keywords, improve your own conversions, grow your business. Basically like a free coaching program as part of the membership. We love that side of the business. It's one of the most fun parts. It's a lot of work, but fun. 
  • Integrations: At the beginning we decided that we likely will never build our own fully robust CRM into Carrot. Sounds weird, but we're focusing the majority of our efforts on being the best online lead generation tool on the market first. Everything "post conversion" we've built integrations so you can use other systems to do your email marketing, CRM, etc. Tons of investors use Zoho and Podio now... which our system directly integrates with both really well. 

Anyhow, we'd love to connect w/ ya and see if it's a fit. 

We have some really cool innovations coming out over the next several months that you'll love.  

Hit me up if you have any questions. 

As a last tidbit, what we found when we started InvestorCarrot was that our best customers are the ones who value and understand the long-term ROI really well. They tend to get the best results and implement what we teach. Our pricing when we launched was about half what it is now... but we found that high achieving investors cared more about real results and personalized help than they did about that extra few bucks a month. So we beefed up our product and support even more, added that weekly mastermind call, added our Content Marketing System... and have focused on investing more money back into our customers success. Our prices are higher... but long-term ROI for customers who leverage the tools and resources we have is much higher than the alternatives.

Good luck on your decision and whatever way you go you'll be in good hands! 

- Trevor

Trevor Mauch, InvestorCarrot | http://www.oncarrot.com

Disclosure: Real estate investor, software geek founder of LeadPropeller

Hey, Matt.

Just wanted to chime in and let you know more about LeadPropeller and our different philosophy.

At LeadPropeller, we believe your real estate investor site doesn't have to fit an exact mould to be effective.  Yes, it can look good and do very well.  

The reason I built LeadPropeller is because I've personally used a house buying website in my business for about a decade.  I've been through the early frustrations, the ups and downs and have had to keep up with what worked and what didn't.  

We're talking LOTS of trial and error. :)

What I learned a long time ago on forums like this and others when people would ask about what their post card or letter should say for their direct mail was that, "It's more important to let them know what you do and get the message in front of people in need of your service than what the exact message you use is."

I love that answer because it cuts through all of the salesman crap. :)

Conversion rates can be improved by doing certain things on websites and we've included many of them on our sites, but the fact is the most important thing is to get people that need your service to your site and make darn sure that they can figure out what they need to do when they get there.  It's really as simple as that.

One of the biggest things I've learned over all of these years (and yes, I still flip houses), is that true motivated sellers could care less about what color a button is on your website...meaning that little tweaks might improve conversion rates for the average visitor to a website, but we are focused on motivated sellers and not tire kickers that will waste your time.

If you have a website that shows your personality and the fact that there is a real person behind it that will be working personally with the seller (who is usually in a rough time in their life), you will do very well.

Now, we haven't been around nearly as long as the other guys, but we are constantly improving and providing new training to our customers.

Our customers are climbing the rankings very quickly and we are excited to see that what we are doing is working.   Obviously, it takes time to rank websites and a lot of it depends on the market and the competition within the market.  But, we are here to help you and provide VERY fast support by people that are in the office with me in the same room.  

Oncarrot seems to be a great product and I'm sure you can't go wrong with going with either of us.  We do have different philosophies but at the end of the day we are both out there to help you get leads for your real estate investing business.  

I'm sure we will all agree that real estate investor websites are an awesome way to generate motivated seller leads, but they do take dedication...just like any other form of marketing for leads.  

Regardless of who you choose to go with, please be sure to not give up too early on it.  The commitment will pay off very well over time.

Updated 5 months ago

2017 Update: Things change pretty fast when it comes to online lead generation. There is more competition than ever and we've been focused on figuring out how to beat the competition. Here's what we found that works. 1. Automated Communication. Starting the conversation as soon as possible with the motivated seller. To do this we worked on automations and focused on making sure they didn't seem like automations. Let me explain. When a motivated seller searches online for a solution to a real estate related problem, they will see search results containing lots of real estate investor websites. If you've worked hard to rank your site to be seen by these motivated seller searchers or are paying for pay per click ads, they will likely see your site in the results. They then click onto your site (if your title and description are enticing enough) and find out if what you offer is what will help them with their problem. They will also most likely make decisions about how credible your site appears. If your site has done well to convince them you are the right company to contact, they will either submit the form with their information or give you a call. The majority of sellers submit the form. This is what happens next and where many people fail with online lead gen. The seller then clicks the back button on the browser and goes to your competitors' websites. Not cool. But it's what they do. I do it too when I'm searching for things on Google. So we focused our energy on making sure we did as much as we could to prevent this from happening. It's why even from the very beginning our websites had automated texting. After the seller submits their phone number on the first form of our 2-step forms, they get a text message that you can customize. This automated text message can include the address that they entered into the form as well so that it is personalized and seems like someone really did type it out them. It used to be that these text messages would go out as soon as the form what submitted. Not good. They came off as undeniably automated. :( They now have a time delay of roughly 30 seconds to make it plausible that you actually typed the quick text to them. How cool is that? Your autoresponder text should say something that tells them who you are and that you received their information and you will be calling them in a minute. This way they are anticipating your call rather than going to other websites. Since this goes out after the short time delay after the first form submission, they usually are still on your website filling out the second form. We've found that the majority of sellers that you can get in touch with right away will not go to any more websites. We've found that they feel satisfied that they have done what they set out to do and want to see what you will offer them. This is also why I always recommend calling a seller IMMEDIATELY when you get a website form submission. The first person to speak to the seller usually has a much better chance of getting the deal. If you've got an answering service handling calls, I suggest you find a way to have someone live answer it for you. This is where rapport needs to be built. Over the years, I've countless times been told that a seller called X amount of other investors and that I was the first to answer my phone. If they felt that special enough to tell me, you know it meant something very important to them....and I usually end up with the deal. One issue many people have with trying to set this up is that the phone number the texts come from don't have their local area code. This isn't a huge problem but can be perceived by some sellers as slightly undesirable (because you might not seem local). We put in the development time to allow you to purchase local phone numbers through LeadPropeller so that your automated texts can come from a local number. This is also perfect for tracking your marketing....which I hope you are doing. Using automated texts and emails (which are perfect for sending credibility information including testimonials) helps to make sure you have a much better chance at being the person that gets the deal. And when you look at what ALL of this online lead gen boils down to, that is really all that matters. 2. Content Marketing. My website used to only rank for a handful of keywords. Then I started blogging. Now my site ranks for roughly 2,000 keywords. Now granted, all of those keywords I'm ranking for won't be highly targeted for motivated sellers and many don't get much search volume, but when you add up all of the small search volume over that many keywords, it really does add up. Plus, most of those keywords are not what most investors are targeting...which means they're easier to rank for! I highly recommend adding SEO optimized blog posts to your website. You can use the free Yoast SEO plugin for wordpress to make sure your blog posts are optimized correctly. This is the tool that shows the traffic signal showing green if your blog post is optimized sufficiently and yellow or red or enough factors are not met. We've included this plugin in one-click blog install's for LeadPropeller websites. You can hire writers on Upwork.com to write these articles for you. Good writers will typically cost about $.02 per word. Each article should be at least 1,000 words. Try to keep your site fresh with these articles. I recommend one per week but every two weeks or per month is better than nothing and will still give you tons of benefit over time. We've automated much of this as well with our content packs that are automatically personalized with your information and location so that they are SEO-optimized for your website's target city. It's much easier to rank locally. 3. The correct strategy. So many investors go into online lead generation with the wrong expectations. Having the right strategy built from the correct expectations greatly ensures success. We've found that, even with having professional SEO done monthly for your website, it can take as long as 8 months or more to get to the first page let alone the top of the first page for the best keywords. This in and of itself isn't a problem but a blessing. If you know this you will be more willing to work at it from the perspective of it being an investment. Most won't. Therefore, most people will never challenge you once you get to the top. It's much easier to stay at the top than to get to the top. So what do you do while waiting for this long term investment in SEO to pay off? Pay per click and posting ads on Craigslist is what I recommend. This advertising enables you to send highly targeted traffic to your site immediately. Things have changed over the last several years. Competition has increased. This update shows you what we found has been our advantage so that you can use them to your advantage as well. If you have questions about strategy for online lead generations, feel free to contact me. I'd love to help.

Medium leadpropellerlogoDanny Johnson, LeadPropeller | 210‑999‑5521 | https://leadpropeller.com | Podcast Guest on Show #144

I can only speak for OnCarrot as I am a user of this technology.  The customer support is on the ball and helpful.  No long delays for help.  If you took a look in the past - take a look again as they keep adding more and more benefits and training that goes well beyond how to make their websites work well and rank.

This newbie appreciates everyone's input and information!  I shall visit both to see their products.

Margaret B

@Matt Ellis Did you ever sign up for either of these sites? If so, any more info you can share on this thread? I have seen a couple of the Investor Carrot sites and they seem very busy. Almost too much information going on. I like very simple, clean sites that don't confuse people but also still answer all the questions at a quick glance. Probably just a personal taste and I really don't know how motivated sellers view these sites but they seem a little gimmicky. 

Great thread.  Nice to see Trevor and Danny's comments.  Both are solid options.

Disclosure: Company Founder

Hey @zach! Man I'm a bit late on the reply here but I wanted to shoot a quick note over on your question. 

So, one thing I learned years and years ago was that what we (as the marketers) thinks looks "good" versus what performs are often two different things. 

I've been really surprised countless times by what I thought would perform the best (convert more qualified leads) vs what actually did. 

We've tested pretty sites, ugly sites, sites with little content, sites with lots, just squeeze pages vs. full "mini-sites", sites with no-sidebar and sites with a sidebar, etc, etc. 

You can see many of the tests that we run each month in some of our blog posts on our Inbound Marketing Blog

But in the end, we always follow the data. 

The website format we currently use is still that way because we haven't found a format in our testing that has out performed the current site design. 

Yes they do have lots of content on them and may be "busy"... but that's to our eye as the marketer who is looking at the page with a totally different mental frame than a buyer or seller. 

In our tests and countless heatmaps we've ran... it's a fine balance between too little content and too much in the wrong places. 

Actually... to prove this point... lets take one of the highest converting and best performing ecommerce websites in the world (probably the most). 

amazon.com Here's a screenshot of their home page below. 

They are the king of following the data and their data tells them that this format, at least currently, outperforms and is more profitable than their previous formats. 

Very busy. 

Of course though... the way most people use Amazon is by either landing directly on a product page from a Google search... or they hit the search box at the top of the site to find what their looking for. So the search box on their home page is the #1 focus (which is why it's displayed prominently at the top... see below). Everything else on the home page is there to further support the person in finding something on Amazon to buy... behind that search bar. 

Amazon's Primary Focus... 

Now Relating This To Real Estate...

We've tested simple squeeze pages (actually testing a very simple 1 page format right now on a bunch of members site who are generating a lot of traffic / leads) and more often than not the simple and low content / uncluttered landing page didn't perform as well as landing the visitor on the home page of our sites the way they are structured. 

But just like w/ Amazon... we pick the #1 focus we want the visitor on (which is what we call the Hero section... seen below)... knowing that the more attention we can put on that the easier we can get the visitor to that section to take action... and then everything else on the page and the entire website is geared to support that act of helping the seller find the solution to their problem and getting them an offer. 

If you don't have the info the prospect needs to feel good about continuing to interact w/ the page and to entice them to opt in or call... the visitor will bail and find another site that will. 

But ya, I'm with you man. I LOVE clean simple design. Our own sales website is that way because that's what our particular prospect (real estate investors) want to see. In that circumstance we've tested the ugly page and our current clean design outperformed it. 

But for motivated sellers, cash buyers, and we're finding it with tenants as well... the prospects are in information gathering mode. 

They're not doing a Google search thinking... "man, I hope I can find a site to put my email address into"

They're doing the search in information gathering mode and are looking for info that'll help them solve their problem. Our mechanism for helping them is that we need their property address and contact info to give them the full info on what we can offer... but your site should do a good job of doing whatever it needs to to engage the visitor, build credibility, and make sure you keep them on the site engaging w/ something vs. leaving feeling their questions weren't answered. 

But ya, we're testing lots of things right now and I honestly hope we find a pretty and simple version that performs as good as our current version. But human psychology doesn't change easily :-)

To hammer it home... some of the most effective websites in their industries are also some pretty darn cluttered sites. Why? Because the target person on that site is in a mindset to consume and information gather... and the fewer ways you have to engage the person on the site to help guide them toward the goal... the more apt the person is to be unsatistied and leave the site. 

Examples:

- huffingtonpost.com

- Amazon.com

- facebook.com (once you get into FB, look at all the ways they try to engage you to stay on the site. 

According to our data, the longer we can get someone to stay on the site the higher the chance for a conversion (also the more qualified the lead more often than not). Carrot members brought in over 15,000 opt in (that doesn't include the phone call leads) leads in the past 30 days... 51% of them on mobile devices which is crazy... because of the relentless testing we do. It keeps it fun and interesting for sure :-) 

But ya, follow the data man. 

Setup some tests on your own site and test some different variations and then go w/ what performs the best.  Reach out if I can help you in any way! 

Good luck!!! 

- Trevor

Trevor Mauch, InvestorCarrot | http://www.oncarrot.com

Hi All,

I thought I would chime in as well.  I'm not an affiliate of either, and have used both.  Both are GREAT!  I've spoken for hours with the IC folks, and consider Danny a friend.  With that being said, I lean towards lead propeller- but not for lead propeller itself.  Strange huh?  Well....

I was more interested in a whole solution, and Danny's REIMobile (http://reimobile.com/) 

backend ties it all together very well for lead submission to disposition.  The webiste is just an avenue to solicit leads.  After that, you still have to capture them and manage them- and never one let one get lost!!

If you've not taken a look at that, you should.

I've also been using Podio, etc. prior but was frustrated with all of the bandaids needed to put in place to work.  I wanted an out of box solution so that I could focus on deals rather than mechanics that end up directly not putting money into pocket (being defined as action that directly produces revenue).

Thanks,

Jim

Great thread. I'd love to hear if @Matt Ellis decided to pull the trigger - and if so, which company and how has it panned out.

I'm conducting my due diligence on all things lead-generation (lists, yellow letters, fliers, 1-800 #s, etc..) and of course online and mobile lead generation is a part of that.

In my previous life I worked for large retail companies within their e-commerce department. A consistent multi-channel message was a must. There simply was not the option to just do an online marketing campaign or just an in-store marketing campaign. One of the frustrating aspects to having similar messages all over the place was it became difficult to pinpoint where exactly did we first "touch" the customer. Sure maybe they bought product in the store or online or maybe both. But we couldn't - at least effectively - tell when and where they first received that message.

What I am wondering, for those that have had success with either LP or OC, what other marketing efforts are happening at the same time? Does all of your collateral point back to the website? Have you tested different campaigns with different URLs to see response rates from both off & online efforts?

I'm looking forward to all responses and appreciate the time to read & reply.

Jeffrey

I checked them both out and like them both but right now I am with Carrot. They have amazing training and support. I really like them

I use four OnCarrot sites. The platform works for me. I have generated over 1000 leads. (buyer,seller,rto) Their support is awesome and they know what they are doing. 99% of my questions are answered within minutes so I can keep moving.

I ask a lot of questions