• Snohomish, WA
Votes |
Looking to find FREE Short term rental data

Kobe McDaniel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Snohomish, WA
Posted Feb 4 2024, 10:31

Hello BP,

I live in a region with a handful of Short term rentals and I'm currently analyzing a property with STR potential. Where is the best place to get free data on STRs? Obviously a little knew to the short term space here. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Feb 4 2024, 10:40

Hi Kobe,

Have you looked into AirDNA? The data is not always accurate but it gives you basic information as a baseline. In general, the most sure way to confirm data is to actually look at the listings on Airbnb and Vrbo.

User Stats

Votes
Kobe McDaniel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Snohomish, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Snohomish, WA
Replied Feb 4 2024, 10:44
Quote from @Ko Kashiwagi:

Hi Kobe,

Have you looked into AirDNA? The data is not always accurate but it gives you basic information as a baseline. In general, the most sure way to confirm data is to actually look at the listings on Airbnb and Vrbo.

Will try this. AIRDNA free version is good for overall market research, ie looking at the whole area of Seattle instead of a specific county/city.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
James Carlson
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver CO | Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Feb 4 2024, 12:41

@Kobe McDaniel

AirDNA offers some free stuff, for sure. But I guess I'd push back on your emphasis on "free." I'd urge anyone who's going to buy a multi-hundred-thousand-dollar asset to throw down $100 (or whatever it costs) to get the full data.

If I didn't already have a full AirDNA subscription, I'd be advising my Colorado STR clients to do so.

Good luck in your analysis.

User Stats

Votes
Kobe McDaniel
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Snohomish, WA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Snohomish, WA
Replied Feb 5 2024, 13:39
Quote from @James Carlson:

@Kobe McDaniel

AirDNA offers some free stuff, for sure. But I guess I'd push back on your emphasis on "free." I'd urge anyone who's going to buy a multi-hundred-thousand-dollar asset to throw down $100 (or whatever it costs) to get the full data.

If I didn't already have a full AirDNA subscription, I'd be advising my Colorado STR clients to do so.

Good luck in your analysis.

Good thought, small change in the grand scheme of it.

User Stats

Votes
Alyson Gordon
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Feb 13 2024, 07:30

You can also check out Rabbu.com however I wouldn't shy away from paying for data from AirDNA or STR Insights. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Logan Moir
  • Investor
  • Bremerton, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Bremerton, WA
Replied May 9 2024, 14:36

Hey Kobe, if you're trying to save some money, you can hop on VRBO/Airbnb and find properties like your subject property. You can see what your competition is charging, what amenities they offer, and how booked they are into the future. 

If you intend to have it managed after purchasing, reach out to a couple STR property managers and have them offer their perspective on what's worth fixing, what amenities you need, and how much they would rent it for. I still do this method, even if I don't intend to have it managed.

If you're keen on going the paid route for speed, you could try convincing your brokerage team to purchase STR Insights (preferred over AirDNA) for the team to use with clients.