Skip to content
Market Trends & Data

User Stats

Votes
Antoine Griffin
Votes |
Best Areas to look for Flips, Rentals, and Wholesales in SWFL?

Antoine Griffin
Posted May 17 2024, 10:45

Best Areas to look for Flips, Rentals, and Wholesales in SWFL? Just moved down for a job. Looking to start doing more research.

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
#3 Managing Your Property Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied May 18 2024, 03:05

You will typically find a lot of distressed properties in Ft Myers due to the age of the properties and the economic diversity in the city. Right now you can find some great but risky deals on Sanibel and Ft Myers beach. There are still flood properties around the city that can be purchased cheap and have enough margin to make money. If you are looking to B&H than Cape Coral may be a better option as home prices are still decreasing and it is a great time to buy.

User Stats

Votes
Antoine Griffin
Votes |
Replied May 18 2024, 04:14

I appreciate your response. Helps me really understand. What makes the fort Myers deals risky? Shaky structures?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Adam Bartomeo
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied May 18 2024, 07:20

@Antoine Griffin Ft Myers Beach and Sanibel got pounded with the storm. Some of those building had extreme structural damage that would need to be identified by an engineer or architect. 

User Stats

Votes
Nick Bednarczyk
Lender
  • Lender
  • Florida and Nationwide
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Florida and Nationwide
Replied May 18 2024, 08:35
Quote from @Antoine Griffin:

Best Areas to look for Flips, Rentals, and Wholesales in SWFL? Just moved down for a job. Looking to start doing more research.

Whatever you decide we can help you finance your future deals. Fort myers, cape coral ,etc have some wonderful opportunities for those with a keen eye and true understanding of the buildings' structural situation. so working with a good inspector is key to moving forward. Best of luck to you and let's connect.

User Stats

Votes
Antoine Griffin
Votes |
Replied May 18 2024, 08:52
Thanks Nick! I’ll definitely be in touch. Quote from @Nick Bednarczyk:
Quote from @Antoine Griffin:

Whatever you decide we can help you finance your future deals. Fort myers, cape coral ,etc have some wonderful opportunities for those with a keen eye and true understanding of the buildings' structural situation. so working with a good inspector is key to moving forward. Best of luck to you and let's connect.

User Stats

Votes
Antoine Griffin
Votes |
Replied May 18 2024, 08:53
Quote from @Adam Bartomeo:

@Antoine Griffin Ft Myers Beach and Sanibel got pounded with the storm. Some of those building had extreme structural damage that would need to be identified by an engineer or architect. 

Fair enough! I did hear about the structural issues a few times but didn’t realize it was that much. Did see how bad the hurricane was though. Terrible.

User Stats

Votes
JASON V.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Lee County FL
Votes |
  • Lee County FL
Replied May 18 2024, 11:19

I had a property on Fort Myers Beach that I sold after the hurricane. In order to get power ran back to our house, we had to get a structural report/sign off from an engineer. So depending what you're looking at, most things that have power restored should of already passed a structural inspection.

Pay attention to mold and electrical as well. Most of the houses that were sitting on grade were  completely or almost completely under water. (my house was underwater completely except for the crest of the roof) ALso, the city wasn't letting anyone back on the island (even owners) for like 14ish days (I forget the exact number), so ALL of the non-raised houses were full of mold by time anyone was allowed to go in and start doing things. 

Hopefully you're aware of these types of issues, or as Nick Bednarczyk stated above you get a good inspector who will be on the look out for them.

User Stats

Votes
Antoine Griffin
Votes |
Replied May 18 2024, 11:23
Quote from @JASON V.:

I had a property on Fort Myers Beach that I sold after the hurricane. In order to get power ran back to our house, we had to get a structural report/sign off from an engineer. So depending what you're looking at, most things that have power restored should of already passed a structural inspection.

Pay attention to mold and electrical as well. Most of the houses that were sitting on grade were  completely or almost completely under water. (my house was underwater completely except for the crest of the roof) ALso, the city wasn't letting anyone back on the island (even owners) for like 14ish days (I forget the exact number), so ALL of the non-raised houses were full of mold by time anyone was allowed to go in and start doing things. 

Hopefully you're aware of these types of issues, or as Nick Bednarczyk stated above you get a good inspector who will be on the look out for them.

Solid advice: and great insight. I can see why it may be risky then. Sounds like extra money upfront to determine if it’s a good deal in a market that’s already slim on deals as is. Are you still buying?

User Stats

Votes
JASON V.
  • Lee County FL
Votes |
  • Lee County FL
Replied May 18 2024, 16:24

I am, but I'm a smaller investor and only do one or two a year anyway.