Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Medium-Term Rentals
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Tyson Thompson
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern Colorado
Votes |
Short and Medium Term Rental Vacancy Rates

Tyson Thompson
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Northern Colorado
Posted

Hello!

Does anyone have any good advice or resources on how to determine an expected vacancy rate for short or medium-term rentals in any given area? My original thought was to basically just triple what the normal vacancy rates were in the area, but I know that would not be super accurate. We are analyzing a potential property as a short to medium-term rental and are struggling to pick a vacancy rate figure. Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Gesner
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Cody, WY
ModeratorReplied
Quote from @Tyson Thompson:

Your best option is to use a data site like AirDNA.

• Property Manager Wyoming (#12599)

American West Realty & Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
#3 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

I'm not sure AirDNA will help much for mid term rentals. There's a lot of data out there for short term rentals, but there's no easy way to determine MTR occupancy rates that I'm aware of. Networking and asking others in your market may be your best bet. In Los Angeles, our properties have around 10-15% vacancy throughout a given year. I recommend going with conservative number as you're analyzing and see how that works out for your deal.

BiggerPockets logo
PassivePockets is here!
|
BiggerPockets
Find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Lygia Bratton
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Replied
Quote from @Allen Duan:

I'm not sure AirDNA will help much for mid term rentals. There's a lot of data out there for short term rentals, but there's no easy way to determine MTR occupancy rates that I'm aware of. Networking and asking others in your market may be your best bet. In Los Angeles, our properties have around 10-15% vacancy throughout a given year. I recommend going with conservative number as you're analyzing and see how that works out for your deal.

Does anyone have a good advice on how/where to properly comp a multi unit property?

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

Hi Lygia, you can definitely find comps and estimate MTR rental rates with Airbnb and Furnished Finder. Just make sure to check if the comp is primarily a STR, which might make the mid term rates look higher if that listing is not targeting mid term bookings.

User Stats

Votes
Lygia Bratton
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Replied
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Hi Lygia, you can definitely find comps and estimate MTR rental rates with Airbnb and Furnished Finder. Just make sure to check if the comp is primarily a STR, which might make the mid term rates look higher if that listing is not targeting mid term bookings.

Hi Allen,

I’m trying to comp the property itself and not the rental income. Any suggestion on any free websites that I might be able to do that?

User Stats

Votes
Brett Deas
  • Colorado
Votes |
  • Colorado
Replied

For the places I have in Denver vacancy ranges from 3% over 3 years to 20%. It is becoming a highly saturated market and you really need to make the place nice in order for it to get traction. As far as estimating goes I would look up furnished finders report to give some insight, combining that with other places like Zillow and other long term sites. 

User Stats

Votes
Allen Duan
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

Hi Lygia, do you mean the value of the property? You can use the typical websites like Zillow and Redfin for that.

User Stats

Votes
Jewel B.
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Lehigh Valley, PA
Replied
Quote from @Lygia Bratton:
Quote from @Allen Duan:

Does anyone have a good advice on how/where to properly comp a multi unit property?

Online real estate sites such as Trulia, Zillow, Redfin, Realtor.com, and LoopNet. Public records. Ask your realtor.

User Stats

Votes
Replied

@Tyson Thompson

Maybe not to determine vacancy %, but you can build out a como list in your area and find which types of properties are not currently available and why. Where I live there are rarely places that allow pets available for rent. Also mother in law suites and private bath are not as available.

Iso g this info you can better determine projected vacancy based on factors you can control on top of the fact that you could have other amenities or the best presentation that would help minimize vacancy.

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied

Hello!

Does anyone have any good advice or resources on how to determine an expected vacancy rate for short or medium-term rentals in any given area? My original thought was to basically just triple what the normal vacancy rates were in the area, but I know that would not be super accurate. We are analyzing a potential property as a short to medium-term rental and are struggling to pick a vacancy rate figure. Thanks in advance!

I own 2 units and manage another 2, we're seeing 5-15% vacancy across the units over the past 18 months. Biggest driver for vacancy for us is being pet friendly.

User Stats

Votes
Marc Rice
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied
Quote from @Conner Olsen:

Hello!

I own 2 units and manage another 2, we're seeing 5-15% vacancy across the units over the past 18 months. Biggest driver for vacancy for us is being pet friendly.

Thanks for sharing Conner. Do you find being pet friendly increases your occupancy OR deters guests away who don't want to deal with past pets?

User Stats

Votes
Conner Olsen
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Replied
Quote from @Marc Rice:

Hello!

Thanks for sharing Conner. Do you find being pet friendly increases your occupancy OR deters guests away who don't want to deal with past pets?

It definitely increases occupancy! There's a lot of demand and low supply for pet friendly.

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Marc Rice
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied
Quote from @Marc Rice:

Hello!

It definitely increases occupancy! There's a lot of demand and low supply for pet friendly.

Makes sense, thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Votes |
Jamie Banks#2 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Reston, VA
Replied

The short answer is that for MTRs it's really hard to estimate for 2 reasons. 1. There's no one MTR site so tools like Airdna don't have access to the data to pull vacancy rates. 2. MTRs can be operated by working directly with businesses, that's my strategy. My vacancy rates wouldn't be shown because I don't run my businesses using the OTAs. 

I study a given market's supply, rental rates, comp properties, etc. for a few months to truly understand the MTR market before I choose to invest there.