• Rental Property Investor
  • St. Augustine
Votes |
New Wholesaler in Jacksonville & St. Johns County, FL

Louis Porter Jr.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • St. Augustine
Posted Apr 3 2024, 11:01

While I have been in the real estate buy-and-hold investing side for nearly 5 years, I have just started wholesaling deals to other investors. I understand, in theory, what to do and have been reaching out to do deals, but I still seem to slide into my buy-and-hold real estate investing ways. I look at a property and while researching it, I keep thinking of ways that I could add "just this one" to my real estate portfolio. I keep feeling that I am tripping myself up by doing this. I keep thinking I should be looking for people to sell a deal to even though I don't have any deals. This seems to me to be a typical cart before the horse issue. What am I doing wrong and has anyone else fallen into this mindset "trap"?

User Stats

Votes
Ken Holifield
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Apr 3 2024, 13:26

It feels like your post came right out of my head because I went through the same exact thing.  This is very difficult for those of you reading that may not understand.  I struggled for a long time (and still do a little) with this, as my first instinct when I find a deal is always, "how can I keep this one".    

Honestly for me, I moved away from wholesaling and just built a wholesale friendly brokerage instead.  So this way, I still get to do a little wholesaling but I also work with other amazing wholesalers (that are better than me) and I still get to look at a lot of deals, while also still making money helping other investors buy and sell properties.  

It's extremely difficult to completely shift your mind away from this way of thinking.  It's like expecting a wild animal to not act so wild.

I know I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear but I at least wanted to respond and validate your concerns.  I'm in Jay too, let me know if you want to chat.  Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Eric Clunn
  • Madison, WI
Votes |
  • Madison, WI
Replied Apr 5 2024, 20:22

You'll be able to dispo your deals to Rubik without paying a JV fee. They just messaged me today asking me if I had deals in Jacksonville. Unfortunately, I do not. But it sounds like you will soon.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes