• Banker
  • Glen Allen, VA
Votes |
hiring bird dogs

Mario T.
  • Banker
  • Glen Allen, VA
Posted Jun 23 2015, 13:08

I am just curious to see what other people process is for hiring bird dogs and keeping them motivated.

I post an ad on craigslist, with compensation as 20% of the deal $500 minimum $1000 maximum. Then do a phone interview to explain to them what a motivated seller looks like and how to find them.  then I send them on their way. 

Is this generally what everyone is doing??  Maybe someone is doing it better or have a process they'd like to share with me?  Thanks in advance!

User Stats

Votes
Gustov Mentzer
  • Investor
  • North Hollywood, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • North Hollywood, CA
Replied Jun 26 2015, 15:55

Mario,

That seems quite high. I'm about to start using bird dogs to speed up and branch out my wholesaling. Though I haven't used them yet, I was suggested to pay my bird dogs $5-$10 per lead get. 20% is something closer i would think to pay a partner. Hope this comments helps.

GM

User Stats

Votes
Graham Rushing
  • Kannapolis, NC
Votes |
  • Kannapolis, NC
Replied Jun 28 2015, 12:39
Originally posted by @Mario T.:

I am just curious to see what other people process is for hiring bird dogs and keeping them motivated.

I post an ad on craigslist, with compensation as 20% of the deal $500 minimum $1000 maximum. Then do a phone interview to explain to them what a motivated seller looks like and how to find them.  then I send them on their way. 

Is this generally what everyone is doing??  Maybe someone is doing it better or have a process they'd like to share with me?  Thanks in advance!

I am not in the wholesaling business but your numbers sound right to me. I would be  appalled and offended if someone gave me $5-$10 for a lead that made them  thousands! I would much rather pay someone $500-$1000 to bring me good leads that you can actually make money on then to get 20 BS leads from a guy that your paying very little! Just my two cents.  

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes