• Wholesaler
  • Waldorf, MD
Votes |
"Best way" to contact vacant owner

James Green
  • Wholesaler
  • Waldorf, MD
Posted Feb 3 2016, 10:53

I've found a "great" vacant house in a popular area of Washington DC. After doing a LOT of sleuthing, I'm "pretty sure, 90% positive" that I've found the daughter of the deceased owner. I actually have her phone number, address.

Here's my question, should I go ahead and call her?! Or send her a letter/postcard?

If I call her, what should I say, how should I start it off?

Anybody here with any experience doing this?

User Stats

Votes
Roland Paicely
  • Raleigh, NC
Votes |
  • Raleigh, NC
Replied Feb 3 2016, 11:37

Either way can work.  However, if you are going to mail to her.  Then I'd recommend a letter vs a postcard.  It's a nicer touch.  In the letter mention that you will call her shortly.  Then wait a couple of days and then call her.  Or simply call her directly and ask about the availability of the house.  The obstacle to keep in mind with the phone call approach is that if the deceased passed away recently you could come across as an ambulance chaser.  

If you are uncertain then I'd say send the letter and call her 2-3 days later.  good luck

User Stats

Votes
Shayne Brescia
  • Investor
  • Milton, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Milton, PA
Replied Feb 3 2016, 12:31

It might be best to find a good probate attorney as well.  An attorney that deals with inherited properties.  You could have the attorney call them so it seems more professional and doesn't spook the buyer.  Let me know if you need any help @James Green, I have a good probate attorney and have delt with this before.  

-Shayne

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Michaela G.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Feb 3 2016, 12:49

In my experience the best is:

1 - knocking on the door, with a big smile on your face

2 - calling

3 - writing. 

It's much harder for someone to slam a door into your face, than to throw away a letter or hang up the phone. But it might be easier as a woman, because it's less threatening to find a female stranger at your door. 

Calling is better than letter writing, because it's more personal and people don't hang up as easy as they throw away a postcard. Most people don't want to be rude and will at least listen to you. That does not go for robocalls.

I personally get a lot of letters/postcards, because I'm an out-of-state landlord and they're all so generic that I assume that they're all newbies, who went to some guru class and who don't have cash and are just trying to get something under contract to assign. I throw all of them away. 

To get my attention, it would have to be something more personal, which hasn't happened, yet ;-)

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Ziehr
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Feb 3 2016, 13:00

If it is a good area I guarantee you she has received several calls and letters from other developers in the area. Whatever you do, be persistent. 

User Stats

Votes
Tae Seung Kim
  • Burke, VA
Votes |
  • Burke, VA
Replied Feb 3 2016, 13:09

I think it depends. Like you said that you found the daughter of deceased owner. In this case, I think phone call would be too overwhelming. Try personal handwritten letter. 

If the owner is desperate to sell, I would say phone call might be best option. Experiment to see what works best in your area. 

User Stats

Votes
Michaela G.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Feb 3 2016, 15:47

Just got another one:

"My name is XXXX and I want to BUY your property in Fulton County (I have 15 properties in Fulton county). I'm a local Cash buyer that will save you $$ in closing costs, Realtor fees + time!

If you would like a quick, no-hassle sale at a fair price, then please give me a call so we can talk about your property. God Bless, XXXXX "

This is just so generic, that it's clear that he's sending out hundreds or thousands. And anything religious is even more of a red flag to me, because it says that the 'buyer' thinks that I'm so gullible, that a mention of God would make me more interested in dealing with him' - In fact, anyone that used something religious is someone I'd be even less inclined to deal with, because they don't think they can can offer enough credibility by themselves, so they throw God into the mix. 

Heck, maybe I'm just difficult to deal with - lol

User Stats

Votes
Davyd Ramirez
  • Vendor
  • Ashburn, VA
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • Ashburn, VA
Replied Feb 3 2016, 16:06

I use handwritten letters all the time. You can check with USPS if there is a forwarding address or if it is labeled as vacant.

I have found many this way and from services like Reiletters 

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Dayton, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Dayton, OH
Replied Feb 4 2016, 07:24

Unless you have really good people skills, a letter is probably best.  It is non-threatening, and if the are motivated, they will contact you.  If they aren't, you won't be in their face, especially at a delicate time.

User Stats

Votes
Vasa G.
  • Investor
  • Washington, Washington D.C.
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Washington, Washington D.C.
Replied Feb 4 2016, 17:41

A lot of good advices already here like @Shayne Brescia and @Davyd Ramirez and others... I can give you a local tip insight, some of decent owners in DC have big families so even if you get in the touch with the daughter there is a big chance that she cant make any decisions, without including rest of the family...

I have learn this hard way, as I have lost really good deal, similar story...great potential property,  I have actually met decent owner son in person as he was still living in the building, and after long talk with him  ...  I have include all of his wishes on my offer and traditional financing with 30% downpayment.... but later I have found out that he doesn't make final decision by himself... all other family members where included so they went with same amount offer but with cash funding... ( and to make things worse I could close that deal with cash as well, but his son was... regular financing is fine with me... ) Lesson learned.

Good luck

User Stats

Votes
Justin Pierce
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Woodbridge, VA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Woodbridge, VA
Replied Feb 5 2016, 06:18

There's nothing more powerful than walking up and knocking on the door.

Snow Goose Homes LLC Logo

User Stats

Votes
James Green
  • Wholesaler
  • Waldorf, MD
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Waldorf, MD
Replied Feb 5 2016, 06:43

Thanks everyone. I wouldn't mind walking up to the door, but unfortunately the daughter doesn't live in DC but College Park MD, so it would feel weird to me to walk up to her current residence.

I am going to do the letter writing route though. I'm pretty sure she hasn't received any or at the most very few contacts from other investors, since the property doesn't even show up on any of DC property tax assessment sites.

User Stats

Votes
Jose Guevarra
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Mira Mesa, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Mira Mesa, CA
Replied Jun 5 2016, 12:00

I've been mailing the owner of a vacant and condemned home with no luck.  A friend suggested using a Postagram which are about $1/each.  I took a picture of the property and placed it into the postcard along with a message saying I want to purchase their property.  We'll see if that works.  

User Stats

Votes
Eric H.
  • Real Estate Solutions Provider
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Solutions Provider
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Jun 5 2016, 16:31

@James Green What did you end up doing?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Mullins
  • Investor
  • Cedar Park, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cedar Park, TX
Replied Jun 5 2016, 16:45

James Green

So how did it turn out?

User Stats

Votes
James Green
  • Wholesaler
  • Waldorf, MD
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Waldorf, MD
Replied Jun 6 2016, 15:07

@Michael Mullins, @Eric H. ha, ha, I'm actually sending out the letter tomorrow. Shortly after my post, I had to have surgery & I'm just getting back to normal last week. I have a lot of following up to do this week.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Mullins
  • Investor
  • Cedar Park, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Cedar Park, TX
Replied Jun 6 2016, 19:08

hope your feeling better