• Wholesaler
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
Advice needed on potential deal

Giacinto L.
  • Wholesaler
  • Boise, ID
Posted Aug 26 2016, 20:25

Hi BP community, I need some advice on what approach I should take in order to get this property under contract. I recently found a home for sale by owner, it's ARV is around $200,000-$225,000. The seller was renting it out previously and the renters completely destroyed the home. The home needs at LEAST $40,000 in repairs and the seller is asking for $180,000. When I asked him about his pricing, he stated he needs $178,000 to break even and cover his mortgage. He wants out of the home and landlord situation so he is motivated. The home has great potential, but tons of work! How should I go about presenting the offer and getting it under contract?

Thank you

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Aug 26 2016, 20:47

Why it looks like a bad deal.

User Stats

Votes
Russ Draper
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Boston, MA
Replied Aug 26 2016, 22:54

I agree with Stephen, there is no money to be made on this property by your own estimation!  The seller needs to come to terms that it isn't worth what he wants, he has to take a haircut to sell it.  Or find a miracle buyer.

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Giacinto L.
  • Wholesaler
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Boise, ID
Replied Aug 27 2016, 06:15

Wouldn't I still want to make my wholesale offer though, what would I have to lose? He could reconsider and accept that he's asking too high and take my offer.

User Stats

Votes
Nirmal Khanderia
  • Investor
  • Leander, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Leander, TX
Replied Aug 27 2016, 07:06

@Giacinto L.

With ARV at 200K, and rehab at 40K, your MAO will be:

MAO=70% ARV- Rehab costs = 140K-40K = 100K

At 178K, you are at 18K loss, and no spread for the flipper.

Why would you do this? Are we missing something here?

This could be potential for short sale, though.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Boyd
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Aug 27 2016, 07:15

Make him the offer contingent to inspection, and then renegotiate. If he still doesn't come down, ask if he is willing to seller finance at least some of it. If it's a desirable location, after repairs, you may have a deal. Most walk because they cannot see the opportunity. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Paul Williams
  • Investor
  • Copperas Cove, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Copperas Cove, TX
Replied Aug 27 2016, 07:21

You might want to try to arrange a short sale. This could be a win for everyone involved. Then you could pick it up for the price you should.

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Aug 27 2016, 07:51

I totally agree with Chris Boyd. 

User Stats

Votes
Giacinto L.
  • Wholesaler
  • Boise, ID
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Boise, ID
Replied Aug 27 2016, 09:00

Thank you guys.

User Stats

Votes
Kevin Phu
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Aug 28 2016, 01:59

@Chris Boyd could you a little in how getting seller financing for part of the amount could make this a deal? Newbie here that would like to better understand financing options. Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Boyd
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Replied Aug 28 2016, 07:07

@Kevin Phu without teaching options, I will remind you of this. Real Estate is a agreement between two parties. Seller financing is great because in the right circumstance, it gives you leverage to move a property and make money when margins are small. If I was selling you a bottle of water for $5, but you couldn't afford it, and you were thirsty, you would find a way. So I can afford 3.50. You ask if I'll seller finance the remaining 1.50 over a period of time. Now to make a profit, I'll look to sell that bottle for $6 (sub lease) with $4 up front and finance the remaining $2. With property, if the leasee cannot make good on getting financing within a certain period, the property reverts back to the owner, and you can enter another agreement with someone else if you choose. Not sure if the water was a good example, but I want you to understand the thought process more than anything. Hope that helps. Have a good weekend!