Votes
Andrew S.
  • Maryland
Votes |
investor RE agent & comps

Andrew S.
  • Maryland
Posted Jan 22 2010, 14:55

Is it possible for me to ask an investor RE agent to find comps for me in order to find out whether or not properties I look at are really deals or not and what amount I should be offering for them/how they should be valued?

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Jan 22 2010, 12:26
Originally posted by Andrew S:
Is it possible for me to ask an investor RE agent to find comps for me in order to find out whether or not properties I look at are really deals or not and what amount I should be offering for them/how they should be valued?

Not only is it "possible," but it's also reasonable...

If you have an agent that will be submitting offers for you, and will be earning commission on your transactions, that agent should be willing to pull comps and advise you on what a property is worth and what you should be offering.

That's part of the job of any agent who works with investors...

User Stats

Votes
Scott R.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Amarillo, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Amarillo, TX
Replied Jan 22 2010, 12:40

Correct, but be careful how you approach the agent! Make it known your an investor and will be using them for offers you make on MLS stuff, REOs and such, and will be listing your property with them if your doing rehabs. They only make money if you do such business with them, providing CMAs or Comps generates them no money, just cost them time and hastle and paper please ATLEAST make them think your going to.!
-Scott

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Andrew S.
  • Maryland
Votes |
  • Maryland
Replied Jan 22 2010, 19:58

Thanks for the responses. I should have pointed out that I don't plan on using the agent for anything more than this. So is it still ok to ask to do that? Maybe if I'm nice and say hey here's fifty bucks can you help me out?

User Stats

Votes
J Scott
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Sarasota, FL
ModeratorReplied Jan 22 2010, 22:16

If you're not planning on using the agent for your transactions, you really should be completely upfront about that at the beginning, and as you said, try to negotiate a per-hour, per-search, or flat fee for the agent to help you.

As long as you're completely honest and the agent knows what they're getting (and not getting) out of the deal, all is good...

User Stats

Votes
Keri Proctor
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • oklahoma city, OK
Votes |
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • oklahoma city, OK
Replied Jan 22 2010, 23:05

I think honesty is the best policy. If you are doing something you wouldn't like being done to you, don't do it. You don't want a bad experience with a local Realtor to spread like wild fire.
I think if you are honest, you can find a Realtor willing to help you. Many probably will not waste their time knowing they won't get anything out of it.
Others may try to negotiate a deal out of it, and some may do it in the hopes of future business.
Remember it never hurts to ask.
Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Andy J.
  • Wholesaler
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Colorado Springs, CO
Replied Jan 22 2010, 23:55

It is absolutely reasonable, but always do the comps yourself. It's good to have someone double check, but it's your butt on the line. If you make offers through them and are able to pass on leads that are better suited to Realtors from time to time you can create a mutually beneficial relationship that will save you time and money.

User Stats

Votes
Danielle C.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Naperville (Chicago), IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Naperville (Chicago), IL
Replied Jan 23 2010, 01:59

I have been considering doing this as well. I don't intend on using an agent as I will assign my contracts. Until I am 100% comfortable with my farm area however, I will need assistance with values.

What would anyone here suggest is a good starting $ offer... how much per hour or per comp? This could really add up because when starting out, making many offers is key.

Thanks!
Danielle C

User Stats

Votes
Kristian Peter
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Jan 24 2010, 14:10

A great way to do this is to pay for a Broker Price Opinion - for a normal exterior BPO, agents / brokers usually get paid about $50. That way you are not obligated to anyone, and you get a mini-appraisal for cheap...

There are plenty of BPO forms on the web that you can utilize - the biggest factor in a BPO is to make sure that the agent gets plenty of photos of the subject property and the comps. All of the driving around and research is worth $50.

KP

User Stats

Votes
Scott R.
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Amarillo, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Amarillo, TX
Replied Jan 24 2010, 15:01

finest expert, zillow, and most of the internet based quick value web sites are normally quite a bit off, Finestexpert in my experience in my area is pretty accurate on rental rates, this is just my area, you need to be very comfortible with the price you come up with, and no website is going to just give you the magic number.
-Scott

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Jan 25 2010, 00:01

The problem I found with "finest expert's" rental rates is this: Just because the beds and baths are the same, and the zip code is the same, does not mean it is a true comp! Things like square footage, parking, A/C, W/D, dishwashers, year built / renovated, etc all impact how much rent you can get. Once you see that such things aren't used in their classifications ...

Anyway, "finest expert" was saying that because newer and bigger 3 bed/1 baths were going for $1400 in a certain zip (those were the comps they had), that the REO I was checking out would also get that rent. I got rental comps from the MLS, and saw that $1200 would be tops for that REO. Makes a big difference in this example.

User Stats

Votes
Will Barnard
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Developer
  • Santa Clarita, CA
ModeratorReplied Jan 25 2010, 03:10

I think the point to remember is to get your own comps, both ales comps and rental comps to evaluate a price, and not depend on some website to do it for you.