Finding BRRRR Deals Feels Impossible Sometimes — Let’s Connect and Hunt Together

Finding BRRRR Deals Feels Impossible Sometimes — Let’s Connect and Hunt Together

Member since 2020 · 64 posts · 145 votes

Hey everyone,

I’m deep in the learning and building phase right now and focused on mastering the BRRRR method but let’s be real, finding the right deal feels impossible at times. Between rising prices, competition, and tight inventory, it can be discouraging if you’re just starting out.

But I know deals are out there  especially in the right markets. Based on everything I’ve researched, the top 5 places I’m seriously looking into right now are:

 Indianapolis, IN

 Cleveland, OH

 Pittsburgh, PA

 Birmingham, AL

 Kansas City, MO

I’m based in California, so I’ll be doing this out of state, which adds a whole other layer of challenge. If anyone here has experience doing BRRRR remotely, I’d love to hear what’s worked and what hasn’t. Also  if you already have a team (agents, lenders, property managers, contractors) in any of those markets, I’d be grateful to connect or even collaborate on a future deal if it lines up.

Right now I’m working on tightening up my finances, getting more confident with analyzing deals, and setting myself up to scale this the right way. I’ve got a couple properties already, but I’m fully in learning mode and want to avoid major mistakes by learning from people who’ve actually done it.

If you’re actively working in any of these cities or even just exploring like me, feel free to reach out. I’m here to network, stay accountable, and build something longterm.

Thanks!

Will

9Reply
154 views

Most Popular Reply

Jeremy MelloulPro Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 83 posts · 83 votes
1y

Hey William! I know exactly what it’s like living in California and investing out of state — I lived in LA for 11 years myself. Too much of a headache to invest there, so I moved to Ohio where I now invest and sell investment properties. I’d be happy to connect — feel free to DM me anytime.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Happy to connect on KC. Helped countless do BRRRs. They are slimmer to find but can be done

    • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes
      1y

      @Caleb Brown Caleb, I am located in Kansas City as well. Looking to connect with those in my area to learn from. Would love to connect. 

  • Joshua JanusBusiness Member
    Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @William Miller:

    Hey everyone,

    I'm deep in the learning and building phase right now and focused on mastering the BRRRR method but let's be real, finding the right deal feels impossible at times. Between rising prices, competition, and tight inventory, it can be discouraging if you're just starting out.

    But I know deals are out there  especially in the right markets. Based on everything I’ve researched, the top 5 places I’m seriously looking into right now are:

     Indianapolis, IN

     Cleveland, OH

     Pittsburgh, PA

     Birmingham, AL

     Kansas City, MO

    I'm based in California, so I'll be doing this out of state, which adds a whole other layer of challenge. If anyone here has experience doing BRRRR remotely, I'd love to hear what's worked and what hasn't. Also if you already have a team (agents, lenders, property managers, contractors) in any of those markets, I'd be grateful to connect or even collaborate on a future deal if it lines up.

    Right now I’m working on tightening up my finances, getting more confident with analyzing deals, and setting myself up to scale this the right way. I’ve got a couple properties already, but I’m fully in learning mode and want to avoid major mistakes by learning from people who’ve actually done it.

    If you’re actively working in any of these cities or even just exploring like me, feel free to reach out. I’m here to network, stay accountable, and build something longterm.

    Thanks!

    Will


    You can still do the BRRRR Method in Cleveland. just need a great construction crew and deal flow

    • Member since 2020 · 64 posts · 145 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Joshua Janus:
      Quote from @William Miller:

      Hey everyone,

      I'm deep in the learning and building phase right now and focused on mastering the BRRRR method but let's be real, finding the right deal feels impossible at times. Between rising prices, competition, and tight inventory, it can be discouraging if you're just starting out.

      But I know deals are out there  especially in the right markets. Based on everything I’ve researched, the top 5 places I’m seriously looking into right now are:

       Indianapolis, IN

       Cleveland, OH

       Pittsburgh, PA

       Birmingham, AL

       Kansas City, MO

      I'm based in California, so I'll be doing this out of state, which adds a whole other layer of challenge. If anyone here has experience doing BRRRR remotely, I'd love to hear what's worked and what hasn't. Also if you already have a team (agents, lenders, property managers, contractors) in any of those markets, I'd be grateful to connect or even collaborate on a future deal if it lines up.

      Right now I’m working on tightening up my finances, getting more confident with analyzing deals, and setting myself up to scale this the right way. I’ve got a couple properties already, but I’m fully in learning mode and want to avoid major mistakes by learning from people who’ve actually done it.

      If you’re actively working in any of these cities or even just exploring like me, feel free to reach out. I’m here to network, stay accountable, and build something longterm.

      Thanks!

      Will


      You can still do the BRRRR Method in Cleveland. just need a great construction crew and deal flow


       Yeah I think that's going to big my biggest hurdle, Any suggestions on how to vet them?

  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    im open to connecting about indy

  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @William Miller:

    Hey everyone,

    I'm deep in the learning and building phase right now and focused on mastering the BRRRR method but let's be real, finding the right deal feels impossible at times. Between rising prices, competition, and tight inventory, it can be discouraging if you're just starting out.

    But I know deals are out there  especially in the right markets. Based on everything I’ve researched, the top 5 places I’m seriously looking into right now are:

     Indianapolis, IN

     Cleveland, OH

     Pittsburgh, PA

     Birmingham, AL

     Kansas City, MO

    I'm based in California, so I'll be doing this out of state, which adds a whole other layer of challenge. If anyone here has experience doing BRRRR remotely, I'd love to hear what's worked and what hasn't. Also if you already have a team (agents, lenders, property managers, contractors) in any of those markets, I'd be grateful to connect or even collaborate on a future deal if it lines up.

    Right now I’m working on tightening up my finances, getting more confident with analyzing deals, and setting myself up to scale this the right way. I’ve got a couple properties already, but I’m fully in learning mode and want to avoid major mistakes by learning from people who’ve actually done it.

    If you’re actively working in any of these cities or even just exploring like me, feel free to reach out. I’m here to network, stay accountable, and build something longterm.

    Thanks!

    Will

    I would just recommend finding a great investor-friendly agent in any market that you're interested in doing the BRRRR to help you have a great realtor to help you find that deal flow, and contractor recommendations

    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
    • Member since 2020 · 64 posts · 145 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Kerlous Tadres:
      Quote from @William Miller:

      Hey everyone,

      I'm deep in the learning and building phase right now and focused on mastering the BRRRR method but let's be real, finding the right deal feels impossible at times. Between rising prices, competition, and tight inventory, it can be discouraging if you're just starting out.

      But I know deals are out there  especially in the right markets. Based on everything I’ve researched, the top 5 places I’m seriously looking into right now are:

       Indianapolis, IN

       Cleveland, OH

       Pittsburgh, PA

       Birmingham, AL

       Kansas City, MO

      I'm based in California, so I'll be doing this out of state, which adds a whole other layer of challenge. If anyone here has experience doing BRRRR remotely, I'd love to hear what's worked and what hasn't. Also if you already have a team (agents, lenders, property managers, contractors) in any of those markets, I'd be grateful to connect or even collaborate on a future deal if it lines up.

      Right now I’m working on tightening up my finances, getting more confident with analyzing deals, and setting myself up to scale this the right way. I’ve got a couple properties already, but I’m fully in learning mode and want to avoid major mistakes by learning from people who’ve actually done it.

      If you’re actively working in any of these cities or even just exploring like me, feel free to reach out. I’m here to network, stay accountable, and build something longterm.

      Thanks!

      Will

      I would just recommend finding a great investor-friendly agent in any market that you're interested in doing the BRRRR to help you have a great realtor to help you find that deal flow, and contractor recommendations


       Yes Sir this website has already helped out a lot with that. I didn't realize how many doors this would open up!

  • Jeremy MelloulPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 83 posts · 83 votes
    1y

    Hey William! I know exactly what it’s like living in California and investing out of state — I lived in LA for 11 years myself. Too much of a headache to invest there, so I moved to Ohio where I now invest and sell investment properties. I’d be happy to connect — feel free to DM me anytime.

    • Member since 2020 · 64 posts · 145 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Jeremy Melloul:

      Hey William! I know exactly what it’s like living in California and investing out of state — I lived in LA for 11 years myself. Too much of a headache to invest there, so I moved to Ohio where I now invest and sell investment properties. I’d be happy to connect — feel free to DM me anytime.


       Thanks man I appreciate it lets connect for sure!

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @William Miller   
    I would narrow down your search to one market and then focus on building a team in that market vs trying to look in 5 different markets across multiple states while trying to build multiple teams. 

    • Member since 2020 · 64 posts · 145 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Patrick Drury:

      @William Miller   
      I would narrow down your search to one market and then focus on building a team in that market vs trying to look in 5 different markets across multiple states while trying to build multiple teams. 


       Yeah im pretty convinced Clevland OH or around there might be a good start. Seems like its entry level as far as investing goes. Might give that a shot!

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @William Miller:

    Hey everyone,

    I'm deep in the learning and building phase right now and focused on mastering the BRRRR method but let's be real, finding the right deal feels impossible at times. Between rising prices, competition, and tight inventory, it can be discouraging if you're just starting out.

    But I know deals are out there  especially in the right markets. Based on everything I’ve researched, the top 5 places I’m seriously looking into right now are:

     Indianapolis, IN

     Cleveland, OH

     Pittsburgh, PA

     Birmingham, AL

     Kansas City, MO

    I'm based in California, so I'll be doing this out of state, which adds a whole other layer of challenge. If anyone here has experience doing BRRRR remotely, I'd love to hear what's worked and what hasn't. Also if you already have a team (agents, lenders, property managers, contractors) in any of those markets, I'd be grateful to connect or even collaborate on a future deal if it lines up.

    Right now I’m working on tightening up my finances, getting more confident with analyzing deals, and setting myself up to scale this the right way. I’ve got a couple properties already, but I’m fully in learning mode and want to avoid major mistakes by learning from people who’ve actually done it.

    If you’re actively working in any of these cities or even just exploring like me, feel free to reach out. I’m here to network, stay accountable, and build something longterm.

    Thanks!

    Will


    what defines a good brrrr market in your mind?   

    I will tell you to me it is the market that I can get the highest value add per dollar spent.  The markets you listed are not this markets.   

    I completed a value add a year ago that included adding a half bathroom out of existing space.  At the time, and I suspect still today, the data showed a half bathroom in that very expensive market would add ~$50k of value.  Crazy!   How much do you think a half bathroom adds to a property in Cleveland?   If I spend $5k n the half bathroom addition, will I add over. $5k of value?   

    my last 2 value add purchases are up $800k and $600k above their cost including cost of the value add.  To me those are quality BRRRRs.

    I have done quite a few BRRRRs.   I am typically at the property daily providing oversight and direction.  When things do not go right (which happens on virtually all large BRRRRs), I am ready to perform heroics to get things back on track.   Virtually every job has stuff go wrong.   A recent rehab I had 2 contractors basically quit mid job without adequate notice.   I had an inspector that requested multiple things that were not in the city approved plans.  We did each of them because I wanted things to go monthly even though I believe the people who approved the plans are more qualified at knowing what is necessary.   I had a down draft oven missing some of the venting parts (ovens go in late in the process and I only allocate half a week of margin - we over ran this margin by a couple/few hours but our guest was gracious).

    my last rehab I had a contractor quote a price that I accepted then decided he did not want the job.    I had a back up contractor that was only slightly more costly and was already doing work onsite. I had a paint contractor get ill and not make it to the job site until near a week after planned.   My job site manager had an extended vacation (planned) that I took over his role while he was gone 3 weeks.  

    i believe doing your first BRRRR OOS will be very challenging and difficult.   Building a reliable and honest team from afar has additional challenges.   There is no oversight better than the asset managing team (ie owner).

    good luck


    • Member since 2020 · 64 posts · 145 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @William Miller:

      Hey everyone,

      I'm deep in the learning and building phase right now and focused on mastering the BRRRR method but let's be real, finding the right deal feels impossible at times. Between rising prices, competition, and tight inventory, it can be discouraging if you're just starting out.

      But I know deals are out there  especially in the right markets. Based on everything I’ve researched, the top 5 places I’m seriously looking into right now are:

       Indianapolis, IN

       Cleveland, OH

       Pittsburgh, PA

       Birmingham, AL

       Kansas City, MO

      I'm based in California, so I'll be doing this out of state, which adds a whole other layer of challenge. If anyone here has experience doing BRRRR remotely, I'd love to hear what's worked and what hasn't. Also if you already have a team (agents, lenders, property managers, contractors) in any of those markets, I'd be grateful to connect or even collaborate on a future deal if it lines up.

      Right now I’m working on tightening up my finances, getting more confident with analyzing deals, and setting myself up to scale this the right way. I’ve got a couple properties already, but I’m fully in learning mode and want to avoid major mistakes by learning from people who’ve actually done it.

      If you’re actively working in any of these cities or even just exploring like me, feel free to reach out. I’m here to network, stay accountable, and build something longterm.

      Thanks!

      Will


      what defines a good brrrr market in your mind?   

      I will tell you to me it is the market that I can get the highest value add per dollar spent.  The markets you listed are not this markets.   

      I completed a value add a year ago that included adding a half bathroom out of existing space.  At the time, and I suspect still today, the data showed a half bathroom in that very expensive market would add ~$50k of value.  Crazy!   How much do you think a half bathroom adds to a property in Cleveland?   If I spend $5k n the half bathroom addition, will I add over. $5k of value?   

      my last 2 value add purchases are up $800k and $600k above their cost including cost of the value add.  To me those are quality BRRRRs.

      I have done quite a few BRRRRs.   I am typically at the property daily providing oversight and direction.  When things do not go right (which happens on virtually all large BRRRRs), I am ready to perform heroics to get things back on track.   Virtually every job has stuff go wrong.   A recent rehab I had 2 contractors basically quit mid job without adequate notice.   I had an inspector that requested multiple things that were not in the city approved plans.  We did each of them because I wanted things to go monthly even though I believe the people who approved the plans are more qualified at knowing what is necessary.   I had a down draft oven missing some of the venting parts (ovens go in late in the process and I only allocate half a week of margin - we over ran this margin by a couple/few hours but our guest was gracious).

      my last rehab I had a contractor quote a price that I accepted then decided he did not want the job.    I had a back up contractor that was only slightly more costly and was already doing work onsite. I had a paint contractor get ill and not make it to the job site until near a week after planned.   My job site manager had an extended vacation (planned) that I took over his role while he was gone 3 weeks.  

      i believe doing your first BRRRR OOS will be very challenging and difficult.   Building a reliable and honest team from afar has additional challenges.   There is no oversight better than the asset managing team (ie owner).

      good luck



      Hey, really appreciate you breaking all that down  I can tell you’ve put in serious work and have learned a ton through doing the hard stuff. That’s the kind of experience I’m trying to learn from right now.

      To be honest, I'm a new investor just trying to dip my toes in and get a feel for what makes a solid BRRRR deal. My goal right now is to do it right, even if it's slow at first. I know OOS (out-of-state) adds another layer of challenge, but I'm trying to learn what I'd be walking into ahead of time.

      You mentioned the value-add per dollar as your core focus that’s super helpful. I hadn’t thought about the impact of something like a half bath being market-specific. Would you say that’s something you’ve just learned through experience, or are there ways you research that kind of return before doing it?

      I’m all ears if you have any tips on what to prioritize as a newer investor trying to avoid the biggest mistakes early on. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience that kind of transparency is rare and super valuable.

      Thanks again! 

    • Dan H.Pro Member
      Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @William Miller:
      Quote from @Dan H.:
      Quote from @William Miller:

      Hey everyone,

      I'm deep in the learning and building phase right now and focused on mastering the BRRRR method but let's be real, finding the right deal feels impossible at times. Between rising prices, competition, and tight inventory, it can be discouraging if you're just starting out.

      But I know deals are out there  especially in the right markets. Based on everything I’ve researched, the top 5 places I’m seriously looking into right now are:

       Indianapolis, IN

       Cleveland, OH

       Pittsburgh, PA

       Birmingham, AL

       Kansas City, MO

      I'm based in California, so I'll be doing this out of state, which adds a whole other layer of challenge. If anyone here has experience doing BRRRR remotely, I'd love to hear what's worked and what hasn't. Also if you already have a team (agents, lenders, property managers, contractors) in any of those markets, I'd be grateful to connect or even collaborate on a future deal if it lines up.

      Right now I’m working on tightening up my finances, getting more confident with analyzing deals, and setting myself up to scale this the right way. I’ve got a couple properties already, but I’m fully in learning mode and want to avoid major mistakes by learning from people who’ve actually done it.

      If you’re actively working in any of these cities or even just exploring like me, feel free to reach out. I’m here to network, stay accountable, and build something longterm.

      Thanks!

      Will


      what defines a good brrrr market in your mind?   

      I will tell you to me it is the market that I can get the highest value add per dollar spent.  The markets you listed are not this markets.   

      I completed a value add a year ago that included adding a half bathroom out of existing space.  At the time, and I suspect still today, the data showed a half bathroom in that very expensive market would add ~$50k of value.  Crazy!   How much do you think a half bathroom adds to a property in Cleveland?   If I spend $5k n the half bathroom addition, will I add over. $5k of value?   

      my last 2 value add purchases are up $800k and $600k above their cost including cost of the value add.  To me those are quality BRRRRs.

      I have done quite a few BRRRRs.   I am typically at the property daily providing oversight and direction.  When things do not go right (which happens on virtually all large BRRRRs), I am ready to perform heroics to get things back on track.   Virtually every job has stuff go wrong.   A recent rehab I had 2 contractors basically quit mid job without adequate notice.   I had an inspector that requested multiple things that were not in the city approved plans.  We did each of them because I wanted things to go monthly even though I believe the people who approved the plans are more qualified at knowing what is necessary.   I had a down draft oven missing some of the venting parts (ovens go in late in the process and I only allocate half a week of margin - we over ran this margin by a couple/few hours but our guest was gracious).

      my last rehab I had a contractor quote a price that I accepted then decided he did not want the job.    I had a back up contractor that was only slightly more costly and was already doing work onsite. I had a paint contractor get ill and not make it to the job site until near a week after planned.   My job site manager had an extended vacation (planned) that I took over his role while he was gone 3 weeks.  

      i believe doing your first BRRRR OOS will be very challenging and difficult.   Building a reliable and honest team from afar has additional challenges.   There is no oversight better than the asset managing team (ie owner).

      good luck



      Hey, really appreciate you breaking all that down  I can tell you’ve put in serious work and have learned a ton through doing the hard stuff. That’s the kind of experience I’m trying to learn from right now.

      To be honest, I'm a new investor just trying to dip my toes in and get a feel for what makes a solid BRRRR deal. My goal right now is to do it right, even if it's slow at first. I know OOS (out-of-state) adds another layer of challenge, but I'm trying to learn what I'd be walking into ahead of time.

      You mentioned the value-add per dollar as your core focus that’s super helpful. I hadn’t thought about the impact of something like a half bath being market-specific. Would you say that’s something you’ve just learned through experience, or are there ways you research that kind of return before doing it?

      I’m all ears if you have any tips on what to prioritize as a newer investor trying to avoid the biggest mistakes early on. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience that kind of transparency is rare and super valuable.

      Thanks again! 


      I have mostly done brrrrs but I am not actively seeking LTR brrrs.  It is because after the high LTV refi, my underwriting shows large negative cash flow.   This implies that they would be better flips, but I do not do flips because it is a job.  Stop flipping stop earning. 

      I am currently concentrating on
      1) sophisticated value adds.  Lot splits, recognizing up graded land use.   My first protege recently sold a property that current use value was $1m but he sold it for $1.5 to be leveraged for bonus ADU program.   Note he had no role in the development other than obtaining the land and selling it to the developer.   This property is largely a reason for local rule changes related to ADUs (4601 Almayo Ave, San Diego).
      2) upscale locations that can STR or MTR.  Bonus if they have a value add.

      a LTR purchase at today’s rates do not produce the return that I have come to expect at high LTV.  This is true even if there is a value add with subsequent refinance.   In some STR markets, I can still obtain >2% rent ratio.

      good luck
  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Hey — sounds like you’ve got a great project going even if it feels slow. With those numbers, it’s worth pushing through. Maybe bring in a second crew for drywall/flooring so your current team can stay on plumbing/electric.

    If you want, I can share how I’ve juggled multiple trades on my midwest projects — just let me know. What’s your refi timeline looking like?

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    1y
    Quote from @William Miller:

    Hey everyone,

    I'm deep in the learning and building phase right now and focused on mastering the BRRRR method but let's be real, finding the right deal feels impossible at times. Between rising prices, competition, and tight inventory, it can be discouraging if you're just starting out.

    But I know deals are out there  especially in the right markets. Based on everything I’ve researched, the top 5 places I’m seriously looking into right now are:

     Indianapolis, IN

     Cleveland, OH

     Pittsburgh, PA

     Birmingham, AL

     Kansas City, MO

    I'm based in California, so I'll be doing this out of state, which adds a whole other layer of challenge. If anyone here has experience doing BRRRR remotely, I'd love to hear what's worked and what hasn't. Also if you already have a team (agents, lenders, property managers, contractors) in any of those markets, I'd be grateful to connect or even collaborate on a future deal if it lines up.

    Right now I’m working on tightening up my finances, getting more confident with analyzing deals, and setting myself up to scale this the right way. I’ve got a couple properties already, but I’m fully in learning mode and want to avoid major mistakes by learning from people who’ve actually done it.

    If you’re actively working in any of these cities or even just exploring like me, feel free to reach out. I’m here to network, stay accountable, and build something longterm.

    Thanks!

    Will


    Any possibility you can do BRRRR in state as your first property? Even if you don't pull 100% of funds, is it possible where you are or close to where you are?

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
    • Member since 2020 · 64 posts · 145 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Sam McCormack:
      Quote from @William Miller:

      Hey everyone,

      I'm deep in the learning and building phase right now and focused on mastering the BRRRR method but let's be real, finding the right deal feels impossible at times. Between rising prices, competition, and tight inventory, it can be discouraging if you're just starting out.

      But I know deals are out there  especially in the right markets. Based on everything I’ve researched, the top 5 places I’m seriously looking into right now are:

       Indianapolis, IN

       Cleveland, OH

       Pittsburgh, PA

       Birmingham, AL

       Kansas City, MO

      I'm based in California, so I'll be doing this out of state, which adds a whole other layer of challenge. If anyone here has experience doing BRRRR remotely, I'd love to hear what's worked and what hasn't. Also if you already have a team (agents, lenders, property managers, contractors) in any of those markets, I'd be grateful to connect or even collaborate on a future deal if it lines up.

      Right now I’m working on tightening up my finances, getting more confident with analyzing deals, and setting myself up to scale this the right way. I’ve got a couple properties already, but I’m fully in learning mode and want to avoid major mistakes by learning from people who’ve actually done it.

      If you’re actively working in any of these cities or even just exploring like me, feel free to reach out. I’m here to network, stay accountable, and build something longterm.

      Thanks!

      Will


      Any possibility you can do BRRRR in state as your first property? Even if you don't pull 100% of funds, is it possible where you are or close to where you are?


       Id love to its just crazy expensive here. Also, in my town we had a fire that wiped out the whole town, so everything is new build around me. If I start getting about 2-4hrs out of my radius the homes are just as expensive.

    • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
      1y
      Quote from @William Miller:
      Quote from @Sam McCormack:
      Quote from @William Miller:

      Hey everyone,

      I'm deep in the learning and building phase right now and focused on mastering the BRRRR method but let's be real, finding the right deal feels impossible at times. Between rising prices, competition, and tight inventory, it can be discouraging if you're just starting out.

      But I know deals are out there  especially in the right markets. Based on everything I’ve researched, the top 5 places I’m seriously looking into right now are:

       Indianapolis, IN

       Cleveland, OH

       Pittsburgh, PA

       Birmingham, AL

       Kansas City, MO

      I'm based in California, so I'll be doing this out of state, which adds a whole other layer of challenge. If anyone here has experience doing BRRRR remotely, I'd love to hear what's worked and what hasn't. Also if you already have a team (agents, lenders, property managers, contractors) in any of those markets, I'd be grateful to connect or even collaborate on a future deal if it lines up.

      Right now I’m working on tightening up my finances, getting more confident with analyzing deals, and setting myself up to scale this the right way. I’ve got a couple properties already, but I’m fully in learning mode and want to avoid major mistakes by learning from people who’ve actually done it.

      If you’re actively working in any of these cities or even just exploring like me, feel free to reach out. I’m here to network, stay accountable, and build something longterm.

      Thanks!

      Will


      Any possibility you can do BRRRR in state as your first property? Even if you don't pull 100% of funds, is it possible where you are or close to where you are?


       Id love to its just crazy expensive here. Also, in my town we had a fire that wiped out the whole town, so everything is new build around me. If I start getting about 2-4hrs out of my radius the homes are just as expensive.


       Got it, yeah going OOS probably your best shot. In that case I would focus on ONE market at a time and pick one then really dig in. Visit the area for a weekend maybe, meet people, see properties, see the night life and the crime, etc

      Sam McCormack Realtor
      View Page
  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 270 posts · 217 votes
    1y

    Investing in cheap / low end out of state rentals doesn't work.

    • Member since 2020 · 64 posts · 145 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Sam B.:

      Investing in cheap / low end out of state rentals doesn't work.


       I'm new to the game man what do you recommend? I'm open years to anything that brings me knowledge.

  • New to Real Estate · Bloomington, IN · Member since 2024 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    I’m in the Indianapolis market. 

  • Ryan RomingerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 340 posts · 144 votes
    1y

    You're right, Will. the deals are out there, but it takes a lot more than just hunting Zillow listings. In markets like Indy, the numbers can work well for BRRRR, but only if you're conservative on rehab estimates, careful with area selection, and realistic about timelines and financing. That last part tends to get glossed over online.

    One thing we see often with out-of-state investors is that success comes down to having a clear, boots-on-the-ground team early — not just after the deal’s locked up. That means lining up your property manager, contractor, and lender before you’re under contract so you’re not scrambling mid-deal or after closing. It also gives you way more confidence when you're running numbers remotely.

    Intrigue Real Estate & Property Management4.6285 Reviews
    • Member since 2020 · 64 posts · 145 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Ryan Rominger:

      You're right, Will. the deals are out there, but it takes a lot more than just hunting Zillow listings. In markets like Indy, the numbers can work well for BRRRR, but only if you're conservative on rehab estimates, careful with area selection, and realistic about timelines and financing. That last part tends to get glossed over online.

      One thing we see often with out-of-state investors is that success comes down to having a clear, boots-on-the-ground team early — not just after the deal’s locked up. That means lining up your property manager, contractor, and lender before you’re under contract so you’re not scrambling mid-deal or after closing. It also gives you way more confidence when you're running numbers remotely.


      Appreciate this  exactly what I needed to hear. I’ve been working hard to understand the real numbers beyond just Zillow and get a feel for how to make this sustainable. I’ve got the vision, but I know execution is where most people mess it up  especially doing this from out of state.

      You brought up something I’ve been thinking about a lot: building that local team before I ever go under contract. Out of everything, I feel like vetting a solid contractor remotely might be the hardest part. How do you personally go about vetting contractors in new markets especially when you’re not there to oversee things day-to-day?

      Would love to hear how you approach that, especially since I’m getting close to taking that first step and want to do it right the first time. Thanks again for all the insight  really appreciate you sharing your experience.

    • Ryan RomingerBusiness Member
      Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 340 posts · 144 votes
      1y
      Quote from @William Miller:
      Quote from @Ryan Rominger:

      You're right, Will. the deals are out there, but it takes a lot more than just hunting Zillow listings. In markets like Indy, the numbers can work well for BRRRR, but only if you're conservative on rehab estimates, careful with area selection, and realistic about timelines and financing. That last part tends to get glossed over online.

      One thing we see often with out-of-state investors is that success comes down to having a clear, boots-on-the-ground team early — not just after the deal’s locked up. That means lining up your property manager, contractor, and lender before you’re under contract so you’re not scrambling mid-deal or after closing. It also gives you way more confidence when you're running numbers remotely.


      Appreciate this  exactly what I needed to hear. I’ve been working hard to understand the real numbers beyond just Zillow and get a feel for how to make this sustainable. I’ve got the vision, but I know execution is where most people mess it up  especially doing this from out of state.

      You brought up something I’ve been thinking about a lot: building that local team before I ever go under contract. Out of everything, I feel like vetting a solid contractor remotely might be the hardest part. How do you personally go about vetting contractors in new markets especially when you’re not there to oversee things day-to-day?

      Would love to hear how you approach that, especially since I’m getting close to taking that first step and want to do it right the first time. Thanks again for all the insight  really appreciate you sharing your experience.


       --- 

      Vision is important but execution is where it really matters. In my experience, it's more than just hiring someone who can do the work but finding someone who can communicate proactively, stay on schedule, and respect the investment goals and processes.

      You can start with referrals from other investors or PMs you might have heard in your network. Or this might come across as idealistic but asking situational questions like how do you handle tenant issues or what would you do if permit releases get delayed, etc.

      But the thing is, you don't need a contract to start building relationships. You can go ahead and start asking questions, getting sample bids, or even references. 

      Intrigue Real Estate & Property Management4.6285 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 110 votes
    1y

    Hi William Miller

    I can totally relate to what you're saying, the BRRRR method is a powerful strategy, but finding the right deal, especially from out of state, can feel like looking for a needle in a haystack. That said, you're absolutely on the right track with those five markets and Cleveland is a really smart one to focus on right now.

    I’m based in Cleveland and have been working closely with investors for years. This market still offers solid BRRRR opportunities, but the key is staying laser-focused on specific zip codes and knowing what to avoid (certain neighborhoods look good on paper but can have higher turnover or code issues).

    A Few Tips:
    • Use PropStream or similar apps to find tired landlords, pre-foreclosures, or tax delinquent properties. Cleveland has a ton of off-market potential if you’re consistent with your outreach.
    • Look for duplexes and small multifamily units in zip codes with investor-friendly results.
    • Be cautious when selecting neighborhoods — all can work, but you need strong systems and a local team in place.
    • Section 8 is very active in Cleveland. I know several investors who’ve stabilized their BRRRRs with voucher tenants and seen consistent cash flow.

    You’re doing the right thing by tightening up your analysis game. The numbers have to be airtight now more than ever, especially with rehab costs rising. I help investors evaluate deals daily, so if you ever want a second opinion on something in Cleveland, I’m happy to take a look or point you in the right direction.

    Even if you’re just in research mode right now, having someone local who understands ARVs, rehab costs, rent comps, and tenant screening can really reduce your risk and help you move with confidence.

    Let’s definitely stay connected, feel free to connect with me anytime if you want feedback on a deal or need boots-on-the-ground insight.

    Wishing you success as you build out your portfolio!

    • Member since 2020 · 64 posts · 145 votes
      1y
      Quote from @R. Elle Berry:

      Hi William Miller

      I can totally relate to what you're saying, the BRRRR method is a powerful strategy, but finding the right deal, especially from out of state, can feel like looking for a needle in a haystack. That said, you're absolutely on the right track with those five markets and Cleveland is a really smart one to focus on right now.

      I’m based in Cleveland and have been working closely with investors for years. This market still offers solid BRRRR opportunities, but the key is staying laser-focused on specific zip codes and knowing what to avoid (certain neighborhoods look good on paper but can have higher turnover or code issues).

      A Few Tips:
      • Use PropStream or similar apps to find tired landlords, pre-foreclosures, or tax delinquent properties. Cleveland has a ton of off-market potential if you’re consistent with your outreach.
      • Look for duplexes and small multifamily units in zip codes with investor-friendly results.
      • Be cautious when selecting neighborhoods — all can work, but you need strong systems and a local team in place.
      • Section 8 is very active in Cleveland. I know several investors who’ve stabilized their BRRRRs with voucher tenants and seen consistent cash flow.

      You’re doing the right thing by tightening up your analysis game. The numbers have to be airtight now more than ever, especially with rehab costs rising. I help investors evaluate deals daily, so if you ever want a second opinion on something in Cleveland, I’m happy to take a look or point you in the right direction.

      Even if you’re just in research mode right now, having someone local who understands ARVs, rehab costs, rent comps, and tenant screening can really reduce your risk and help you move with confidence.

      Let’s definitely stay connected, feel free to connect with me anytime if you want feedback on a deal or need boots-on-the-ground insight.

      Wishing you success as you build out your portfolio!


       I would love to connect sometime after the 4th, My wife and I are very eager and are ready to learn! I appreciate you reaching out!

    • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 110 votes
      1y
      Quote from @William Miller:
      Quote from @R. Elle Berry:

      Hi William Miller

      I can totally relate to what you're saying, the BRRRR method is a powerful strategy, but finding the right deal, especially from out of state, can feel like looking for a needle in a haystack. That said, you're absolutely on the right track with those five markets and Cleveland is a really smart one to focus on right now.

      I’m based in Cleveland and have been working closely with investors for years. This market still offers solid BRRRR opportunities, but the key is staying laser-focused on specific zip codes and knowing what to avoid (certain neighborhoods look good on paper but can have higher turnover or code issues).

      A Few Tips:
      • Use PropStream or similar apps to find tired landlords, pre-foreclosures, or tax delinquent properties. Cleveland has a ton of off-market potential if you’re consistent with your outreach.
      • Look for duplexes and small multifamily units in zip codes with investor-friendly results.
      • Be cautious when selecting neighborhoods — all can work, but you need strong systems and a local team in place.
      • Section 8 is very active in Cleveland. I know several investors who’ve stabilized their BRRRRs with voucher tenants and seen consistent cash flow.

      You’re doing the right thing by tightening up your analysis game. The numbers have to be airtight now more than ever, especially with rehab costs rising. I help investors evaluate deals daily, so if you ever want a second opinion on something in Cleveland, I’m happy to take a look or point you in the right direction.

      Even if you’re just in research mode right now, having someone local who understands ARVs, rehab costs, rent comps, and tenant screening can really reduce your risk and help you move with confidence.

      Let’s definitely stay connected, feel free to connect with me anytime if you want feedback on a deal or need boots-on-the-ground insight.

      Wishing you success as you build out your portfolio!


       I would love to connect sometime after the 4th, My wife and I are very eager and are ready to learn! I appreciate you reaching out!


       Sounds good! Have a happy 4th of July weekend.

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Hey William! Would love to connect. I'm always watching the market, seeing what's out there. I am learning myself at the moment. I'm based in Kansas City MO. Love to see how we can collaborate. 

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 32 posts · 33 votes
    1y

    Would love to connect. I am searching for BRRR properties just in Ohio. Feel you're pain, but agree that they're definitely out there.
    I've done one BRRR out of state that worked very well, so it's definitely possible. Happy to run numbers together!

  • Real Estate Agent · Indianapolis IN · Member since 2022 · 144 posts · 65 votes
    1y

    Hi William

    Indianapolis and central Indiana markets.

    DM if I can help answer any questions.

    Thanks and good luck!

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Thanks for this post. I'm a new REI and looking to learn everything I can about BRRRR. Your post and these comments have helped me a bunch. I'm also located in California (Southern) and buying here seems like a joke. Let's connected. Excited to meet new investors and build relationships and share tips.

  • Gloria N GearBusiness Member
    Realtor · Indianapolis IN · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 339 votes
    1y

    There was an article on BP recently about delayed BRRRR -- I didn't know it had a name, but that is what I have done on a few of my properties (not on purpose) but it did seem to work out better to leave the equity in initially and refinance a few years later when the property appreciated. Just a thought-- in this market, would that work better??? (I am in Indianapolis and happy to have a conversation with you)

  • Ethan HaiglerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2019 · 111 posts · 58 votes
    1y

    I am actively investing in OH and have a fantastic team to help in every aspect along the way. I’ve found great BRRRRs that cash flow well. Please dm me if you’d like to have a 1 on 1 conversation. I would love to help!

    3 Little Pigs Rental Management
    Ethan Haigler Realty
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.