Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes

What's a good way to structure a deal with a family member

Posted Jan 24 2023, 05:21

Hi all! I'm just starting real estate investing and trying to figure out how to work a deal with a family member that has the cash.

I'm thinking something like this.

- I find a good deal on a single family that needs a lot of cosmetic rehabs (I can do that) but has good bones and is in a desirable neighborhood

- Family member puts up the down payment and sets up the mortgage

- I live in the house for one year and fix it up while living there, using my money. I also cover the mortgage expense while living there

- After a year is up, rent the house, and the rent would go towards the mortgage. I would manage the rental.

- Rinse and repeat

It would be a 50-50 split on equity.

Has anyone ever taken this approach? Does it sound fair and reasonable?

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Jan 24 2023, 06:39

It's dangerous bringing family in. Especially if both of you are newbies and neither can steer the ship. I would make sure the deal is killer before getting into anything. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Jan 24 2023, 07:07

Your outline is not a bad start. There are a few holes and things missing, but you are on the right track.

The biggest issue that I see with your plan is that the family member is putting up the down payment and putting the mortgage in their name, but they aren't seeing a return on their money for at least a year. Depending on how much money they are putting into the deal, this could be a big turn-off for them.

Splitting up the cash flow 50-50 and splitting up the equity upon resale 50-50 is pretty fair for a deal structure like this in my opinion. But that family member should want to see a return on their money during that initial 12 months. Maybe you can agree to pay them an interest only payment of ~5% on their money for that time (it would be like you having a 2nd mortgage)

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 3.99% rates, 5% down loans, below market prices across the US! Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jan 24 2023, 09:50

@Scott E.That's a great idea. I like that