Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Crystal Lo
Votes |
Austin or Denver Investing

Crystal Lo
Posted Dec 12 2023, 22:10

Hello! I’m interested in investing in a single family home in Austin or Denver area, only because I’ll be visiting those cities in the next month. Does anyone invest in these areas or nearby cities? I’d love to know your experience and how you started out! 

User Stats

Votes
Dan Guenther
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Dec 13 2023, 10:04

@Crystal Lo - You're in a great place to be with both options. For me, when I got started I had just moved back from New Zealand (during prime COVID peak) and had open options as to where I could plant the real estate seeds. We had lived in Oregon prior to the NZ trip and always wanted to live in a new nature based community. This took us to Colorado on a trip and we fell in love. Moral of the story, investing in our own (new backyard) was the most realistic option for our first investment. We used a 3% down conventional loan and bought a 5 bed 2 bathroom single family home and started our house hacking journey. Our total out of pocket on this deal was about $20K after closing costs and down payment. 

Will you be looking to purchase as a primary or strictly investment? This is going to dictate your first purchase regardless of if you choose Austin or Denver. 

Let me know if you want to talk more about life in the Denver area and the investment opportunities that we are making work here!

Dan Guenther Logo

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Kelly
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 13 2023, 18:27

@Crystal Lo I'd be happy to connect and chat about the Austin metro area and potential options. As Dan asked, will this be a house hack (primary residence) or a pure investment property? Cash flow can be tougher to find today, but the market still has amazing job growth, population growth, and an entrepreneur-friendly culture!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eric Buonanotte
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 14 2023, 08:58

Hi Crystal, I'd be happy to connect about investment properties in Denver as I am an agent here. Sent you a message!

User Stats

Votes
Brittany Guimond
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Realtor
  • Denver, CO
Replied Dec 20 2023, 09:16

Hi Crystal — Repping the Denver market here! I own a SFH in Arvada (northwest Denver) using LTR strategy, own a condo in the Berkeley neighborhood (fix and flip with eventual MTR strategy), and a duplex in Wheat Ridge that I househack using LTR strategy. Moved to Denver in 2010 and have lots of info I can share with you re: the area, growth, rental experience, etc., just let me know what you'd like to know.

West + Main Homes Logo

User Stats

Votes
Bonnie Low
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Medium-Term Rentals Contributor
  • Investor
  • Cottonwood, CA
Replied Dec 20 2023, 10:37

Denver and the surrounding cities are super popular with travelers but do your due diligence around STR and MTR regulations. They are strict and getting stricter. I recommend you connect with someone like @James Carlson who really knows the regs in each town if you're planning STR or MTR.

User Stats

Votes
Sloane Kraftsow
  • Lender
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Lender
  • New York, NY
Replied Dec 20 2023, 10:59

Hi! I would love to connect, I am very familiar with Austin investing. 

User Stats

Votes
Eric DeNardo
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Denver
Replied Dec 23 2023, 12:25
Quote from @Crystal Lo:

Hello! I’m interested in investing in a single family home in Austin or Denver area, only because I’ll be visiting those cities in the next month. Does anyone invest in these areas or nearby cities? I’d love to know your experience

Hey @Crystal Lo, I'd love to hear more about what you are looking for in a home! Both Denver and Austin are great locations! Are you looking for medium-term rentals? There are great strategies out there to find something that meets your goals! 

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Robin Simon#1 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 30 2023, 07:09
Quote from @Crystal Lo:

Hello! I’m interested in investing in a single family home in Austin or Denver area, only because I’ll be visiting those cities in the next month. Does anyone invest in these areas or nearby cities? I’d love to know your experience and how you started out! 

Just a heads up - while Austin home prices have corrected quite a bit this last year, its still nearly impossible to generate cash flow here on a SFR unless a very well-run Short Term Rental. Even multi-unit properties (2-4 or even 5+) still struggle to break even