Newbie willing to learn.

10 Replies

W.Benson

Hello all, I reside in MI but just wanted to know how hard is it to find a rehabber/renovator who would be willing to let you get your hands and clothes dirty? If so, do they allow women to work with them. Since I've been reading and tasting some of this awesome sauce info it's really building up my confidence even though Mr.Fear keeps rearing up his head , but I'm experiencing levels of strength.

Fear is nothing more than False Evidence Appearing Real (acronym). I believe in probity so I will speak the truth; I do not have any experience but have the tenacity and the willingness to stretch myself. I want be taking my carpentry courses until the fall semester and I also plan on doing some work with Habitat for Humanity. The vision and desire is there but just like breaking up-starting up is hard to do. Thanks a zillion to all who responds.

Hi @Winona Benson

First of all, welcome to BP. You have come to the best place to learn about RE and network with other RE investors.

I reside in MI but just wanted to know how hard is it to find a rehabber/renovator who would be willing to let you get your hands and clothes dirty? If so, do they allow women to work with them.

To answer your question, I would go to local REIA and introduce yourself to all the experienced investors and ask them and I will be surprised if you didn't find any takers. All assuming you do quality work. I don't see anyone having problem working with women.

A contractor that I work with has 2 women on his crew who do painting.

Best wishes for your future success.

@Winona Benson I think networking is a great avenue for you to follow on this one. Meeting in person goes a much greater distance than meeting online.

With that being said, before I allowed you to do physical work on one of my properties/rehabs, there would be a bunch of paperwork. If you got hurt, there is liability issues as you don't work for my company, no worker's comp would be there. Then there is the issue of, if you cut the wrong thing and the property got damaged, does my insurance cover if the work wasn't done by a licensed and bonded individual.

Then if not licensed would the local building inspector give me a pass.

So, be prepared to answer those questions for someone.

Promotion
Ashcroft Capital
A national multifamily investment firm
Three Reasons Investors May Prefer Real Estate
Read three reasons why investing in real estate private placements may provide several advantages.
Read More Here

From what I've read here in the AWESOME forum, before you get your hands dirty in a home, get your hands busy finding a home to flip. There are many rehabbers in the forum from your area. Find a flip for them, then ask in return to be a shadow. If you bring them the deal, they will know you are serious about learning. You can find a lead, then turn it over for consideration.

I think investing is a lot like plain real estate sales. You aren't truly in the flipping business, you are in the lead generating business. Without the leads, there are no transactions. It's good to learn, but you need to start Massive Action now. Get the No's out of the way as soon as possible to get to the Yes's. (Wow, after reading this back, I need to take my own advice!!)

Good luck and welcome to this forum. Its a great place to learn. Don't be shy to ask questions, and offer an opinion every so often.

W.Benson

Thank you all for the input, I really do appreciate it and thanks for the kind welcoming it really helps. Some times it's hard to see your way alone but this forum has quickly shown me that help is on the way. I just have to keep at it to learn. By the way, where do I begin to find a flip? Your right Steele, I wouldn't want to be a liability to no one only asset if possible.

Joan you're also right because that's what I was trying to say, it just didn't come out right. I basically want to look and learn. Watch the procedure for rehabbing and flipping and maybe clean up, put away tools or some light demo would help. Sharad, I will try to find the REIA. I'm now looking forward to that move. Again, Thanks you all.

Thanks Pyrrha, I receive your welcoming compliment. I agree that a brave heart will profit you eventually. As they say, "A coward dies a thousand deaths." Believe me, I've had my share of dying deeds. I'm still learning-in life period, but its a good thing and that's another reason why I'm on here because I have to die to self which is hard to do when you are a strong willed person. I know though that I cannot do this one alone. Be blessed, stay blessed and hope to here from you soon.

P.S. Stone Mountain, Georgia, now how interesting is that. :)

@Winona Benson

Welcome. Consider checking out Home Depot and Lowes for the free classes good start.

Check out the Start Here page http://www.biggerpockets.com/starthere

Check out the free BiggerPockets Podcast - A weekly podcast with interviews and a ton of great advice. And you get the benefit of having 50 past ones to catch up on.

Two Great reads, I bought both J. Scott The Book on Flipping Houses,The Book on Estimating ReHab Costshttp://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Locate and attend 3 different local REIA club meetings great place to meet people gather resources and info.

Consider checking out HUD homes for small multi's owner occupied gets first crack.

Good luck

Paul

Thanks Paul, I really appreciate it. Got a question. When you attend the REIA meetings is there a fee? If so, can you pay upon arrival? Yeah, I've been considering Home Depot but didn't know about Lowes. I will definitely check out Lowes. Habitat for Humanity is my main target right now. Thanks for the golden nuggets. Oh, by the way what's the multi's owner occupied deal all about.