Background Check and Credit Score Companies

6 Replies

Hi all! I am a relative newbie to all of this. We own a single family rental, and a triplex rental in California (LA area). The single family unit is currently vacant, and I just finished getting it all ready to rent again. This is my first time handling the renting process myself - in the past I have used a company to advertise and show the properties and to check out the applicants. this seems like a waste of money, though. I am ready to do it myself, but the background check/credit score part gives me pause. I don't know how to do that. Do you have a company that you use that you like? How do I get permission from the applicants to run those checks? Is it in the application? I need to find one of those as well... lots to figure out. 

Thanks in advance! -Alyssa

@Alyssa Lebetsamer   I use MrLandLord.com and you type in the info from the rental application.  Yes, the rental application has the permission cause.  Downside is you have to have your place of business inspected, so they know it's you running the reports.

I know there are other web only companies where the applicants type in their own info and pay themselves.  Haven't used those so can't comment, but happy with the MrLL overall.

Welcome to BP!

- Tom

@Alyssa Lebetsamer

I use https://www.mysmartmove.com/  which is run by trans union

You do not need to have prospect tenant's info, just their email address. It's $35 per person and you can have tenants pay for the screening. You will receive criminal, eviction and credit report on the tenant as well as recommendation from the website if the tenant is a good match. Also you have an option to send a decline message from the website or approve the tenant for your rental. I've been using this service for 5 years now and pretty happy with it.  

@Yuriy Skripnichenko I was JUST looking at their website. Thank you so much - I feel better going with them knowing someone else has had a good experience. 

@Tom S. Thank you for the lead! I appreciate any and all tips and advice... it's a little nerve wracking doing this the first time. 

@Yuriy Skripnichenko   Thanks for the tip on the site you use.  It may be something I expand into, having the tenants do it and pay for it themselves.

- Tom

@Tom S.

You're welcome. Also this way you have less liability, you do not have to collect prospect tenants SSN

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.