Votes
Tyler McGill
  • Chesapeake, VA
Votes |
Newbie from Annapolis

Tyler McGill
  • Chesapeake, VA
Posted Jun 24 2019, 09:38

Hello BP community!  I'm Tyler McGill and I am currently a midshipman at the Naval Academy.  I graduate in two years, and just because of the rules that come with a service academy, I only plan on learning as much as I can about real estate investing until I graduate -- after that, it's game on!

I found out about BP when @Scott Trench visited us for a brief on how to become financially independent from a career in the military.  He mentioned house hacking, the BP website, and the BP podcasts.  After I found the real estate podcast, I became hooked!  

Like I mentioned, my short term goal is to learn as much about real estate investing as I can right now, and hopefully I can start networking and find a couple of mentors along the way.  Midterm goals would be to house hack a multi family home wherever I get station, just to get my hands dirty.  Long term goals would be, if I end up liking real estate investing,  to have enough passive income from properties to be able to achieve financial independence by time I'm 35 (I'll be 26 when I graduate).

I look forward to meeting and discussing other members on here!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Trench
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • President of BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Replied Jun 24 2019, 16:45

@Tyler McGill Welcome to BiggerPockets! It's great that you've joined and I hope that you use some of the great advantages afforded you by the USNA to get into real estate after graduation! 

User Stats

Votes
Kristopher Allen
  • Washington, DC
Votes |
  • Washington, DC
Replied Jun 26 2019, 07:06

@Tyler McGill Welcome to the site!  That will be the way to go! Since you get a housing allowance, best way is to either find a multi-unit like you're thinking or live on really low expenses and sock away that money you can use for downpayment, etc.  

I live in DC and love visiting downtown Annapolis every so often. Something relaxing being by the water. Enjoy all the knowledge you'll learn from the site, it's pleeeeenty!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes