Show 108 Guru?

35 Replies

Am I the only one who thought this one sondes a little like a guru? I mean the opening jingle says "learn about real estate with out all the hype". And the first thing you hear is "you're gonna be so pumped when you hear this guy talk".

I listen to the podcast from my phone and it plays backwards. So I listen to #107 and then it plays 106. I get to episode 100 with Josh(the co-founder of BP with help from Brandon turner :)). He talks about not only what BP stands for but what it stops. They stop the gurus from the 5 Ss(as Brandon stats in one of the webinars). Sleeze, solicitation, self-promotion, and others I can't remember. And that these ideals are what's kept BP together. There was a president that said something like, my greatest power is the power of veto. Meaning what's not there is just as important.

Then I listen to 108.

I got from this episode was to do a video LOI but now that that's out there in sure they will become commonplace soon. 10X is great too. Think 10 times what you did before. If you can do its once you can do it 10 times and then 100 times. Also the quote from Ted turners dad, "never set a goal you can can achieve". Great stuff there.

At one point josh says "we shouldn't filter anything", yet all the curse words are bleeped out. I think it's safe to say that we are all adults and curse words wouldn't bother us. If you say no filter, have no filter.

From the story I assume he bought a 38 unit apartment and then bought 50 and then 100 and then a millions units. I'd really like to know how he got the fist deal and then how he was able to get the next one soon after.

I feel like the whole point of him on the show was to hire new employees for his company which I think is something that should not be in the show. For example would I be allowed to go on the show and recruit bird dogs?

But you know what, this says more about me than it does about bigger pockets and the guest from show 108.

I would be doing BP a disservice if I did not voice my opinion about this. It's these ideals that have made them the biggest REI hub in the net.

@Mike Watkins  - I don't know that our guest is someone that sells any form of real estate course, training, or bootcamp -- he also doesn't offer real estate coaching or other services of the like.  I'd say, as such, he isn't a real estate guru.

As for our bleeping swearing, we try to avoid having our show be labeled explicit.

Finally, as to our agenda -- he has authored several best-selling books on sales, business, management and leadership. Our goal was to educate and motivate.  Not every show has to have the same formula . . . .

It's really good to know that you have defined what a guru is and how they operate. I understand why having an explicit rating would be a bad thing.

I waiting a couple of days to post this. I was thinking surly some else had to pick up on the same vibe. Maybe a note at the beginning of the show, like motivation episode or mechanics.

So you need 10 motivational speakers. 

@Mike Watkins  - Why would we need to disclaim that we've got someone on the show to motivate you or to help you with your business? We're not changing our show -- we're just adding some new kinds of guests. I don't think a disclaimer is needed.  Before I listen to any podcast, I read the show's notes to see if it is something I'm interested in.  Perhaps doing the same with our show will help you avoid the shows that don't line up with your goals?

As for the vibe -- We've never had so many people respond to a show with positivity as we did on this one.  While people love to learn, they also like getting jazzed up. 

Sorry this one didn't work for you -- perhaps the next show will be more to your liking...

I loved the show. One of the best so far. Very inspirational to think big no matter how you invest.

I guess I'm the only ibe that felt that way. Well anyway it your show not mine. 

Best show yet. I very much appreciate the "change up." There is only so many shows you can do about a newbies first deal or Leybovich arguing about why not to buy pigs in Ohio. If you want the mechanics of a deal there are plenty of archived shows.

Originally posted by @Joshua Dorkin :

@Mike Watkins  - I don't know that our guest is someone that sells any form of real estate course, training, or bootcamp -- he also doesn't offer real estate coaching or other services of the like.  I'd say, as such, he isn't a real estate guru.

As for our bleeping swearing, we try to avoid having our show be labeled explicit.

Finally, as to our agenda -- he has authored several best-selling books on sales, business, management and leadership. Our goal was to educate and motivate.  Not every show has to have the same formula . . . .

I am not sure I am reading your post correctly. Grant sells all kinds of guru related products including a dvd course for $4500. Not that it matters much now but he is the definition of a guru based on his website. Thx Josh.

Updated over 2 years ago

To be accurate the $4500 dvd is for automotive management. There are other sales related products in all price ranges. It was still a great podcast nonetheless.

Updated over 3 years ago

To be accurate the $4500 dvd is for automotive management. There are other sales related products in all price ranges. It was still a great podcast nonetheless.

I agree, I think the shows have only been getting better. This show got me excited and inspired me to rethink my goals and shoot bigger. The last 3 shows have been some of my favorite. I think BP podcasts are headed in a great direction.

@Mike Watkins  KEEP CALM & INVEST!

IMO, it was a great show.  While there have been several "heavy hitters" as guests on other podcasts, this was a very different focus - thinking big!

I always recommend the book "The Millionaire Real Estate Investor" by Gary Keller to new investors.  The first thing he focuses on in the book is "Think A Million."  If you've heard of "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill - the whole book is about the importance of the way you think.  I could go on and on about how important mindset is to us as investors.

GREAT SHOW GUYS, THANKS!

Yeah - don't buy pigs in Ohio.  Ben Leybovich doesn't, and you shouldn't either...

Great conversation.  I have to say - I enjoyed the show.  The thing about RE is that it's been around for a few years, and has made fortunes for as long as it's been around.  Very few people can surprise or impress me with mechanics - nothing new has been invented in about 2,000 years.  The reason I likes this show is because, and I quote:

“If you hang out with chickens, you're going to cluck and if you hang out with eagles, you're going to fly.”

Steve Maraboli - my favorite contemporary thinker

I love being surrounded by excellence.  I make it a point to let into my life only that which I deem to be "excellence".  Self-promotion doesn't bother me at all - he's earned that right.  He leaves it to guys like us to teach newbies the mechanics - Grant sees himself as the inspirator and facilitator.  He is those things I believe...

He is not the only one.  I hang with @Serge S.  a lot - he thinks big...bigger than I at times, and I gain from having that in my life.  @Brian Burke  - I can't say enough.  @Brandon Turner  - he doesn't so much inspire me, but...how should I say...well, we have a "special" relationship...

The point is - self promotion is all good, as long as it adds value to my life, and this podcast certainly did!

I LOVED the podcast and am more inspired to work harder than I was before (and my friends already think I'm crazy for putting in the time I do between my J.O.B. and REI). I can relate to lots of his examples of others criticizing because it makes them feel better and as you become more successful, you have more problems. After listening to the podcast, I immediately got the book on Audible and have been listening to it every day. I do agree because of his high energy and repetition he does sound Guru-ish, however his messages are very clearly aimed at teaching his successful mindset and helping others.  

I do not understand why bold is not turning off but when I push the button and turn it off, it turns right back on as soon as I type again :p  

Anyone who sells aggressively will sound like a guru at times because they have the same sales mentality many gurus do.

Every show, no matter how small of an information biscuit my brain gets, is a life changer for me.  I listen to topics that I think I'll never use but still take something from the show.  Show 108 got me PUMPED and is just the kick in the pants I needed.

2015 is going to be my *****.  Keep the awesome podcasts coming @Joshua Dorkin  and @Brandon Turner  !!  I look forward to the next show every week!

For what it is worth, I am going to give my two cents on the subject.

I appreciate what Mike has to say and his viewpoint, he brings up some valuable concerns that pertain to how he processes information. I also see Josh's and Brandon's point on bringing a different "type" of podcast to diversify their offerings.

Here is my take on the podcast, to be honest, when I first started listening to Grant I was thinking, who is this bozo? lol For me, he came across as someone who is all blow and no go, but the entertainment factor was unbeatable. The more I listened and processed what he was saying, the more excited I got. Not really about how he was delivering in the beginning, but the message he was delivering to my subconscious. I am a firm believer in mental preparation, working on your mindset and how to view different circumstances. The mechanics may change somewhat from guest to guest and how they overcame obstacles that sprang up.

The more I listened, the more I understood what Grant was getting at........it is up to each individual to decide how they map out their progress, but the 10X method will accelerate that progress if implemented. I can definitely understand why they were so pumped up with having Grant on the show. He kind of comes across as a loose cannon, but this is no loose cannon, he is very focused and doesn't really much care what others think. He BELIEVES in who he is, what he is doing, and where he is going..........by the end of the show, I was ready to run through fire with him. Motivation comes in all sizes and shapes, some will and some won't be motivated by him and his message. What I learned from Grant is that I don't need to think outside the box, but I need to get rid of the box. I hope we have more podcasts along these lines........

I appreciate that Bigger Pockets has an appeal to many sectors of the market, there is something for ALL, but ALL is not for everybody.

Cary

@Cary Lonis - I couldn't have said it better.  I have listened to the podcast twice and I am on a third go at it.  Grant has touched me like no other motivated speaker; I actually don't listen to a lot of motivational speakers, but when I was listening to this podcast, I was thinking how to accelerate my tax prep business using his method.  He didn't sound Guruish to me especially when he isn't asking me to purchase his "secret method".  The information was free via the podcast and no solicitation from him to purchase his book or audio.  I am always grateful for the free advice I get from these podcast and other forums in BP.  I wish i have his energy and motivation, he even got me thinking when he said "success is destination and not a journey". What a refreshing, radical and disruptive thinking from the norm.  Slow folks like me always believed the opposite based on what we have been taught from years past.

I loved the show. No offense to anyone who I may describe in my next comment. Im tired of hearing interviews (not just on BP) with people who have 5-10 units and have no plans of buying more until 3 are paid off.

I want to FREAKING GROW!! I want to hear from the MONSTERS in this business how to do it!

Thanks for all the continued feedback, guys!

I think the most actionable step from the episode was "buy a private jet so brokers take you more seriously" 

I have added that to my goals for 2015. Though maybe I should 10x it and aim to buy a spaceship. 

I loved this podcast! It was incredible! I even liked the bleeping out of the bad words so I don't have to worry if my kids walk in while I'm listening to it.  I've listened to it 2x so far and I think I will listen to it many more.  The most amazing thing for me was that during the coarse of the show, my goal for net real estate flip profits for 2015 increased by $200k!  I didn't consciously decide to increase my goal or even think about it.  It just came to me.  By the time I finished listening to the podcast my goal was $200k higher!  The crazy thing is I think I have a good shot at making it and the old goal has washed away. 

The podcast guest, Grant, is not a guru.  He is just a guy who made it telling you how he got there.  Thanks Josh and Brandon for putting him on.  He gave a lot of us added motivation. 

@Joshua Dorkin  

@Brandon Turner  

This is great feedback... as to what others are looking to get out of a pod cast one thing I think would be beneficial to the BP listener is bringing on guest that touch on sales techniques .. the art of the deal ,, how to close,, how to relate to people... Anyone can as you say teach the mechanic's IE send out a yellow letter etc etc.. But listening to real Sales pro's who can seal the deal would be cool I think.

Originally posted by @Mark Freeman :

I loved this podcast! It was incredible! I even liked the bleeping out of the bad words so I don't have to worry if my kids walk in while I'm listening to it.  I've listened to it 2x so far and I think I will listen to it many more.  The most amazing thing for me was that during the coarse of the show, my goal for net real estate flip profits for 2015 increased by $200k!  I didn't consciously decide to increase my goal or even think about it.  It just came to me.  By the time I finished listening to the podcast my goal was $200k higher!  The crazy thing is I think I have a good shot at making it and the old goal has washed away. 

I didn't even think about it that way. 

@Brandon Turner  and @Joshua Dorkin  

The thing I got out of this post was how professionally you both responded.  Thank you for continuing to provide a great site and allowing everyone to voice their opinions, I am more and more impressed with BP daily.  I'm still not sure about the podcast, after the first few minutes I changed it but now it is the only one I haven't heard so I will probably go back to it.  

These dvd products sell for $999.00 and $2900.00 on his site. Or you can get a plastic water bottle for $29. Guru or not, he did an outstanding job either way. I look foward to more guests.

@Matt R.  

Zig Ziegler sells books and tapes I don't think him a guru.. along with many other motivational speakers... its a different genre' 

So I think I will put in my Zig tape and get a check up from the neck up !!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.