A Hero's Home - Giving Back

A Hero's Home - Giving Back

Brian BurkePro Member
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes

Fellow BP’ers,

Five of us long-time active BP’ers, @Jay Hinrichs, @Chris Clothier, attorney @Tom Gimer , and CPA @Brandon Hall and I have come together to change the life of someone that has sacrificed so much to defend our freedom and our lives. We think that many other BP members have the same desire to give back to a deserving family, so please read this and feel free to pass along the information.

In my former life before going full time into real estate investing, I worked in law enforcement and as a firefighter/EMT and my wife is a nurse at our local trauma center—so this cause is near and dear to me.

When Jay came to me with this idea, I was onboard in less than two seconds.

For many of us, BiggerPockets has become a way for us to connect, share, advise, seek advice and grow as investors and business persons in general. It is a rewarding online forum and led many of us to successful investment opportunities, joint-ventures with other like-minded investors, opportunities to lend and borrow, purchase, sell and even rent properties.

To put it lightly, we have all been blessed to have BiggerPockets available to boost our careers. And now we want to give back in a very meaningful way.

To do this, we have created A Hero's Home, Inc. The organization has been formed and is in the process of applying for 501(c)(3) status with the sole purpose of providing a home free and clear for a deserving member of the United States Military, local law enforcement, fire or EMS. These first responders and their families are heroes and make enormous sacrifices to help our country and our communities.

The first opportunity to give a home away will be in Memphis, TN where a single-family home has been purchased, renovated and inspected in preparation for being given to a local hero. Each dollar will go directly toward providing a beautiful, fully renovated, and completely debt-free home to a deserving hero. The Board Members have generously donated their time and effort and the first $10,000 to this cause, so we are well on our way to reaching the Memphis goal of $125,000.

Our intention is to move this program throughout the country. Thanks for reading and please visit A Hero's Home for more information!

45Reply
252 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y

To all BP members we are excited to bring this awesome charitable enterprise to all our friends and Colleague's on BP .

@Chris Clothier has picked out an awesome home to be our first of many ( hopefully) homes we give away to deserving veterans and first responders.. As we progress we will be posting pictures of the home as well.. and announcing our next markets for our next home giveaway.

I want to also reiterate that 100% of our efforts is donated and all houses will go into the program as absolute cost. 

We want to show the real estate community that all of us that get value and support from BP are here to give back to our communities in this small but very meaningful way.. 

See this reply in the discussion

62 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Curt Davis:

    Thx for the clarification Chris !!

    Curt when we were starting this project that was mission one... everything at cost.. our Attorney and CPA have donated their time in the set up of our organization.. and on top of that we put in the first 10k of cash into this project.. Chris will bring the home in at cost so at cost of 125k ish that will be a market value home of probably 150 to 170k  given normal closing costs and profit to a retail flipper .   And again why when we started this I wanted one of the top companies in the US to be our provider I knew his company had the ability the desire and could execute and peel one home off and let it go for cost.

    And as stated its even less than Cost since we have put the first cash into this project..  I am sure you will agree this is a worthy cause and MI and Chris are eminently capable of providing the first of many homes for this charity... 

    We have all been blessed by being on BP and for me spending 4 decades in an industry I know and love this in my mind is a perfect project for me to spend my last years in the business giving back and that's what I mean to do..  

    My job and business has always been about building teams.. we have done that and we will execute.. 

    I hope you will join us in spreading the word and supporting our cause.

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Awesome guys!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 483 posts · 956 votes
    8y

    This is awesome! Thank y'all for making this happen. I look forward to donating to such a worthy cause. 

    My wife and I have been very lucky and blessed through real estate. We have given one home away to my brother-in-law after he became to I'll to work construction anymore. 

    Was planning to do the same for my sister but her condition was worse than her doctors thought. Cancer had completely spread throughout her body and she passed away.

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Curt Davis:
    Just looking for more information that’s all.   

    Originally posted by @Matt R.:
    Originally posted by @Curt Davis:

    Curious to know what part of town the home is in for $125k?  Also wondering if that dollar amount has built in profit for the company who purchased it and doing the work or if the $125k it truly purchase and all rehab?  sounds like a great project! 

     What? no seriously do you think BP and company are thinking profits? I must have misread your post. 

    Right on.  

  • Debbie W.Pro Member
    Lindenhurst, NY · Member since 2017 · 75 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    I donated and will share with others so they have the opportunity as well. THank you for doing such a nice thing. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2015 · 450 posts · 196 votes
    8y

    Amazing project!  I love the idea and execution!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Debbie W.:

    I donated and will share with others so they have the opportunity as well. THank you for doing such a nice thing. 

    thankyou I saw that its deeply appreciated.. this is a great Charity  in my mind 100% of donations go to the acutal home being given to a deserving Veteran first responder there is no staff no over head.. its all volunteer.. !!  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Duc Ong:

    Amazing project!  I love the idea and execution!

     Thank you sir I hope we can receive a donation from you as well.  that would be great.

  • Joshua DiazPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 165 votes
    8y

    this is absolutely fantastic.  I will definitely be donating what I can

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Joshua Diaz:

    this is absolutely fantastic.  I will definitely be donating what I can

     Thank you so much we appreciate it lets show our veterans and first responders that US Real Estate investors know how to give back.

  • Joshua DiazPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 165 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Joshua Diaz:

    this is absolutely fantastic.  I will definitely be donating what I can

     Thank you so much we appreciate it lets show our veterans and first responders that US Real Estate investors know how to give back.

     Agreed!

  • Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
    8y

    As an active duty military chaplain I want to thank each person involved.  So many of our military members and first responders give all their time and talents into taking care of others and for very small pay.  Let me know if I can help in anyway.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    Thank you Chris we feel there is a great need for this and we are excited to show our hero's that us real estate investors can give back in a meaningful way !!

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs Congrats on your new program, I can not think of any more worth while cause, hats off to you, @Brian Burke, @Chris Clothier and all the others.

    AS you know I am a real estate developer, among other things;  I would like to donate to the program an approved building lot to this program, let me know how we can make this happen.

    David Krulac

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @David Krulac:

    @Jay Hinrichs Congrats on your new program, I can not think of any more worth while cause, hats off to you, @Brian Burke, @Chris Clothier and all the others.

    AS you know I am a real estate developer, among other things;  I would like to donate to the program an approved building lot to this program, let me know how we can make this happen.

    David Krulac

    WOW David  thankyou   I am going to copy our founding member @Tom Gimer  as well he owns a title company in PA and will be able to facilitate this plus you guys should know each other anyway..  WOW humbled. !! 

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    Wow, @David Krulac, that is amazing!  I don’t know what to say.  But thank you for such a generous gesture that will play a huge role in changing the life of a future recipient.  I am so proud to be involved in this cause!  Thank you!!!

  • Investor · Keller, TX · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Both my wife and I are Veterans and would like to say thank you for what you're doing. We try to give back to several MIL/LEO organizations throughout the year. We will happily add this one to our list.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Rob Willson:

    Both my wife and I are Veterans and would like to say thank you for what you're doing. We try to give back to several MIL/LEO organizations throughout the year. We will happily add this one to our list.

    Thank you Rob Deeply appreciated.. !!!    

  • Tom GimerBusiness Member
    DMV · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @David Krulac:

    @Jay Hinrichs Congrats on your new program, I can not think of any more worth while cause, hats off to you, @Brian Burke, @Chris Clothier and all the others.

    AS you know I am a real estate developer, among other things;  I would like to donate to the program an approved building lot to this program, let me know how we can make this happen.

    David Krulac

    WOW David  thankyou   I am going to copy our founding member @Tom Gimer  as well he owns a title company in PA and will be able to facilitate this plus you guys should know each other anyway..  WOW humbled. !! 

    That is mighty generous of you David ... I will connect with you on the back end. Thank you! 

    Gimer Law516 Reviews
  • Investor · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    CLASS.  ACT.  

    Just made my donation.  

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    This is so awesome of you guys to start the charity! @Jay Hinrichs , I noted you have changed your signature and was wondering what kind of new project you are starting. Glad I found this thread. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Christine M.:

    This is so awesome of you guys to start the charity! @Jay Hinrichs , I noted you have changed your signature and was wondering what kind of new project you are starting. Glad I found this thread. 

    Thank you Christine it is team work though one person would not be able to pull this off..  We assembled a team that could do critical components to make this work..  And to survive for a long time Is all of ours wish's.. 

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Great!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    @Sam Grooms and I, having made personal contributions, will donate 20% of gross income from the 2019 Phoenix Syndication Workshop . Hoping to write a large check!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

    @Sam Grooms and I, having made personal contributions, will donate 20% of gross income from the 2019 Phoenix Syndication Workshop . Hoping to write a large check!

     your our hero  !!!!! deeply appreciated. !! lets put that hero into a home of their dreams.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.