• Landlord
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
@Message Issue

Samantha M.
  • Landlord
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Aug 21 2013, 05:51

I noticed prior to the latest BP update you could @message anyone on the website. This allowed you to call forth people of expertise into a thread for their input. For example if it was a probate thread I could do @sharon and get her to join in on the discussion.

Now it seems you can only @message people that have already responded in the thread or are on your collegues list.

User Stats

Votes
Ann Bellamy
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Replied Oct 6 2013, 04:25

@Joshua Dorkin

This post, and the last post I made above, were on Firefox 24.0. Lenovo laptop.

The Acer netbook is running 23.0.1 and I will try a post from that next.

User Stats

Votes
Ann Bellamy
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Replied Oct 6 2013, 04:28

@Joshua Dorkin

this post is from my Acer netbook Firefox 23.0.1. Both worked this time.

I'll try @Steve Babiak also. That seems to work this time also.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ann Bellamy
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Replied Oct 6 2013, 04:35

Now I'm on my Lenovo laptop with FF 24.0, trying @Joshua Dorkin and @Steve Babiak . Both are working.

Ok, I'll have to wait til it doesn't work again, I guess.

One interesting note: I posted the reply above from my Acer netbook FF 23.0.1. Pressed "post reply". Went to my Lenovo running FF 24.0. When I pressed Quick reply to make this post, the draft of my Acer post was there. Deleted it. Closed the window. Opened the window, the draft was back again. I understand that's because I'm logged into BP on both, but thought I'd mention it. I'm not techie enough to know the ramifications.

User Stats

Votes
Steve Babiak
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Audubon, PA
Replied Oct 7 2013, 20:28

@Ann Bellamy - the drafts are actually a GOOD thing. It allows you to start on one of those long posts like @Bill Gulley can sometimes put together, and get interrupted and come back or even go to another computer and resume where you left off. It's a newer feature, and it may have some issues to be worked out (I haven't seen any yet, but who knows), but it's a good thing overall IMO.

User Stats

Votes
Ann Bellamy
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Replied Oct 8 2013, 03:30

Yes, I like the drafts, @Steve Babiak . I just found it interesting that I couldn't get rid of it, and thought it might contribute to the bug.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied Oct 8 2013, 07:22

@Ann Bellamy - As Steve said, the drafts are a good thing and are designed to work that way. You can get rid of the draft by completing the post and posting it or by deleting the text.

It looks like things are working ok for now. If that changes, let us know!

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Oct 8 2013, 13:00

Well, I'm lost here, I'm thinking this is about posting and having your previous post reappear. For me that's a PITA as I have to delete a heck of a lot sometimes and it's time consuming just holding the button down, guess I need to highlight it and then delete, haven't tried that ye, but it's no big deal, it's my problem that I'm not up on computer stuff......All Im doing is typing e and do simple functions. Ireh

My computer crashed and died last Sunday, losing 3/4 of some writings I was doing as it also had my e-mail crap out losing it and not being able to send anything to save it.......I'm now on a Samsung Tbalet or Notebook thing, and I can't find a delete button, so you're getting all my trash typing as well.

I have no idea what syustems are involved, all I know is I use Mediacom.

Thanks for the mention but I got nothing.....I'll see how I can use this and adapt. :)

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied Oct 8 2013, 19:45

@Bill Gulley - Sorry about your crash. That said, I have no idea what you just said . . . good luck getting it all sorted out. If you need an assist on something site related, hit Brandon or I up and we're happy to help.

User Stats

Votes
Ann Bellamy
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Replied Oct 28 2013, 04:44

@Joshua Dorkin , here is another example of the issue on a post I just made:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/49/topics/104626-hard-money-or-private-money-longest-terms?page=1#p662881

I'm working on Firefox 24.0

When I double clicked on "Jeff S" in the drop down, it highlighted the "Jeff S" that I had just typed, and then added the second line. When I clicked on post, it then showed that the second line was highlighted. I left it as is so you could see it.

User Stats

Votes
Ann Bellamy
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Tyngsboro, MA
Replied Nov 20 2013, 18:27

I continue to have issues with the @mention, @Joshua Dorkin. (Here is an example, I can't get the dropdown to work right now)

Also, sometimes when you click on the dropdown, it leaves the partial name as you have typed it, and then on the next line it @mentions correctly but with the word undefined after the name.

If you do a search for the word "undefined" in the last couple of months in the forums, you'll see I'm not the only one having issues. I'm using Firefox 25.0.1 on Win7 right now.

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dorkin
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Votes |
Pro Member
  • BiggerPockets Founder
  • Maui, HI
Replied Nov 20 2013, 19:00

Thanks for the continued feedback Ann Bellamy . We will see about once again digging in on this.

User Stats

Votes
Matt Stricklen
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Austin TX
Replied Aug 7 2020, 10:34

7 year old post and I'm having a terribly frustrating time with this today :(