Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Eric V Harding
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Votes |
Reverse Mortgage - Best Options

Eric V Harding
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles
Posted Jun 6 2022, 18:53

The time has come where we lost someone special and they have moved the estate in our names.

There was a reverse mortgage taken out in 2017. Our angel used a little bit, not too much, and kept a line of credit open.

By the RM nature, we need to sell within 12 months now. Its a solid condo in Orange County, CA which is a good rental pull, so we were wondering if its possible to hold on somehow? We dont know any RM hacks, so any wisdom is appreciated.

User Stats

Votes
Joe Homs
Agent
Pro Member
  • Flipper
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Flipper
  • Mission Viejo, CA
Replied Jun 6 2022, 20:38

@Eric V Harding let's start with how the property was titled?  I hope it was in a living trust and that you are the trustee.  If it was just in their name, then you may have to go into Probate.  There are really no hacks that I can think about so you will just have to refinance the debt and pay off the RM.  You can save on Property Taxes, but the new rules are that you will need to move in.  You might be better off selling it as you will not pay any capital gains taxes with the step up in basis.  Hope this helps.

Good Investing...

User Stats

Votes
Robert Reynolds
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jun 7 2022, 01:13

@Eric V Harding sorry for your loss. If I were you and wanted to keep the condo I would reach out to a real estate investing friendly loan broker and figure out my options refinancing the home. I would love to help you run your numbers, and find the best option moving forward. 

Robert Reynolds

The David Greene Team Logo
BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Kushaal Malde
  • Lender
  • Redwood City, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Redwood City, CA
Replied Jun 9 2022, 21:04

@Eric V Harding sorry for your loss. As @Joe Homs mentioned, based on how the property was titled, your best bet if you want to hold as rental will be to refinance into long term fixed debt and pay off the RM. If you have good credit, you could command several attractive refinancing options- rate/term and/or cash-out, depending on equity, to choose between based on your specific investor goals. 

From a rental property owner perspective, holding would benefit with no property tax reassessment. And a sale would benefit from no capital gains liability from a step up in cost basis. Not to say you couldn't hold and sell later.

Good luck! Let me know how I can help or if you would like a 2nd opinion on anything.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Browning
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • CO CA TX WA ID OR
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • CO CA TX WA ID OR
Replied Jun 9 2022, 22:30

Hi Eric, also Erik here. Sorry for your loss. Yes, holding onto the property is ideal to capture the benefits of owning real estate - including the depreciation and ability to cash flow. Like the other folks mentioned the trust document and how the property was last recorded will determine your ability to capitalize on the property. 

We have a reverse mortgage expert on our team, not me, that can assist in this effort if you'd like to schedule a call and work out the details. Feel free to reach out, best of luck!

• Lender

• (707) 595-7574

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 29 2022, 05:43
Quote from @Eric V Harding:

The time has come where we lost someone special and they have moved the estate in our names.

There was a reverse mortgage taken out in 2017. Our angel used a little bit, not too much, and kept a line of credit open.

By the RM nature, we need to sell within 12 months now. Its a solid condo in Orange County, CA which is a good rental pull, so we were wondering if its possible to hold on somehow? We dont know any RM hacks, so any wisdom is appreciated.

If HECM balance is small, you can refinance it and keep it. 

If HECM balance exceeding the value of the property, you can short sale it.