• Wholesaler
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
PROBATE REAL ESTATE ACQUISITION

Donyelle Keith
  • Wholesaler
  • Pennsylvania
Posted Jul 27 2022, 14:38

I'm working on a property whose owner has passed and is in limbo at the moment. I talked with his daughter to see if the property transferred to her or any spouse or siblings, in which case she was not sure. I looked the property up and it's still listed under the deceased home owner's name. How do I go about finding out the information I need to possibly acquire the property?

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jul 28 2022, 05:48

Take it to title....they can help you and guide you

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#1 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 28 2022, 07:16
Quote from @Donyelle Keith:

I'm working on a property whose owner has passed and is in limbo at the moment. I talked with his daughter to see if the property transferred to her or any spouse or siblings, in which case she was not sure. I looked the property up and it's still listed under the deceased home owner's name. How do I go about finding out the information I need to possibly acquire the property?

Ask the daughter if they ever filed for probate? If not, then they would need to go through that process which will be a very lengthy and slow process.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Donyelle Keith
  • Wholesaler
  • Pennsylvania
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Pennsylvania
Replied Jul 28 2022, 12:02

@Chris Seveney I'll definitely discuss that with her. @Kerry Noble Jr if I go that route wouldn't the daughter then have to open probate on the property incurring extra legal fees to do so? She might have to anyway but what are the pros and cons doing it that way you suggest. Thanks for your answers also!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 28 2022, 14:00

@Chris Seveney I'll definitely discuss that with her. @Kerry Noble Jr if I go that route wouldn't the daughter then have to open probate on the property incurring extra legal fees to do so? She might have to anyway but what are the pros and cons doing it that way you suggest. Thanks for your answers also!

if borrower is deceased they cannot transfer the property without going through probate. if they QCD it to you, you will not be able to sell it or get financing on it as it would not have clear title

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jul 28 2022, 18:19

In my state it depends on the value of the under a certain amount, you don't have to go through probate.....you just need the heirs......

User Stats

Votes
Kerry Noble Jr
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Jul 28 2022, 18:19

That's why I said take it to title.....they'll know those guidelines