Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
David Cohen
  • Investor
  • Decatur, GA
Votes |
If I'm cash-flowing why does Bigger Pockets make me feel like I failed?

David Cohen
  • Investor
  • Decatur, GA
Posted Jul 15 2014, 12:47

I just joined Bigger Pockets. I'm a buy and hold landlord with 6 properties in a middle class area of Atlanta. All are rented and rents are all $500 above PITI. So, though there's been some repairs, for the most part they all do okay in my book. Yet, only one met the 1% rule.

I like renting out Middle Class housing where their close to my house, most of the renters are easy to deal with and take good care of the homes. But it's soooo hard finding properties that fit in most of the calculations that I have found on Bigger Pockets.

I don't want to buy bad deals.  I don't want to have to go too far out for a deal. And I still want to grow my portfolio, so I'm not sure what to do.

David

User Stats

Votes
Eric Taylor
  • Investor
  • Mission, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Mission, TX
Replied May 25 2015, 07:31

The 1%/2% rule is inversely proportional to Appreciation.   

User Stats

Votes
Gilbert Dominguez
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Replied Jul 5 2015, 20:37

If you are cash flowing $500.00 per property which are in better neighborhood and renting to more reliable tenants that take good care of your properties then you should be doing ok. The 2% rule is meant to protect you in the case you have unexpected major repairs to do and maybe higher insurance costs. Sounds to me like you know what you are doing and doing what works for you. Formulas are used to account for contingencies of the unexpected or the probable but if your properties are good quality then you should experience less breakdowns of systems which in effect offset what the formulas are meant to account for. Still it would be a good idea for you to always have a nice cash reserve. 

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Alfred Harding
  • Investor
  • Santa Fe, NM
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Santa Fe, NM
Replied Sep 25 2015, 13:47

In today's market, I haven't found any 2% deals. You would really have to buy a rat trap in the worst part of town to try and get close to that. Everything seems to equalize over time so what's the opportunity now?

User Stats

Votes
Max T.
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Philadelphia, PA
Replied Sep 25 2015, 15:37

Sounds like you are doing well. Just make sure you are stashing away enough each month to maintain a reserve fund to cover those big and unexpected capex emergencies.