DCN For Form 3115 - Capturing Untaken Depreciation At Sale

DCN For Form 3115 - Capturing Untaken Depreciation At Sale

Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes

I am trying to file a Form 3115 to change accounting method on a rental house I sold in 2015 (I only took half the depreciation I was entitled to, and I would now like to claim the rest as a Section 481A adjustment on my Schedule E).  Does anyone know the proper DCN to use in this situation from the List of Automatic Changes?  Very confusing....

0Reply
29 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Daphne, AL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 242 votes
    10y
    Good question for your CPA. Good luck.
  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Brandon Hall is my go-to guy for all things related to form 3115.

    Brandon - if you don't have a keyword alert set up for "3115", you should.  :-)

  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Linda Weygant thanks for tagging me. Just set up 3115 as a key word alert!

    @Jason Heath depending on what exactly you are doing and the property in question, you'll be looking at DCN 7, 8, or 200. List of DCN's starts on page 13: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i3115.pdf

  • Santa Cruz, CA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thanks folks.  I went with DCN 107, as the descriptor in the instructions seemed closest to what I was trying to accomplish ... but I have forwarded to my CPA for review ... wish me luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.