Robert Rodriguez
  • Hawthorne, CA
Votes |
Credit Check

Robert Rodriguez
  • Hawthorne, CA
Posted Feb 9 2016, 17:35

Hello, 

Has anyone ever tried one of those online credit score checkers? If so, was it safe,  and how much did you pay?

Thank you

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Thomas
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Franklin , TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Professional
  • Franklin , TN
Replied Feb 9 2016, 17:38

Hey Robert I usually get my score once a year. However I recently discovered CreditKarma.com. Thanks BP!
It's great. You can sign up and get a report weekly. There are some other useful credit tools included. Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Zack Ellard
  • Claremore, OK
Votes |
  • Claremore, OK
Replied Feb 9 2016, 18:09

I use credit karma as well.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Robert Rodriguez
  • Hawthorne, CA
Votes |
  • Hawthorne, CA
Replied Feb 9 2016, 20:52

@Jeremy Thomas 

@Zack Ellard

Thank you gentlemen, 

I'll check out creditkarma.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Sukala
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
  • Rockford, IL
Replied Feb 9 2016, 21:35

@Robert Rodriguez if you have a discover card it is on your statement. also I have used annualcreditreport.com

User Stats

Votes
Robert Rodriguez
  • Hawthorne, CA
Votes |
  • Hawthorne, CA
Replied Feb 10 2016, 02:24

@Chris Sukala

Thank you for the information Chris, I haven't ran my credit yet. I'll check out annualcreditreport also. 

User Stats

Votes
Simon Shih
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Houston, TX
Replied Feb 10 2016, 02:26

I also vote for Credit Karma. They have an app for your phone you can log in and get your credit score anytime.

All for free.

User Stats

Votes
John Whittle
  • Vendor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Feb 10 2016, 03:21

Credit karma isn't a real fico score.  It could be 100 points off from your real score.  Myfico is the only way I know to get a real fico score.  They even have a fico model for mortgages.  I've only pulled one bureau from them its like $60 to get all 3 at once. Figured I'd spread it out and see how my scores have been improving.  

User Stats

Votes
Dennis Luong
  • Vendor
  • Roseville, CA
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • Roseville, CA
Replied Feb 10 2016, 11:48

Hi,

Here are the best options to get the correct Fico scores/credit reports that are actually used by 90% of lenders for credit approval. 

1. Request a copy of your credit report if currently working with a lender.

2. bluewatercredit.com can pull your credit report and scores from 2 of the 3 Bureaus for $40. You will receive $40 credit towards your enrollment if you sign up for their services.

3.www.myfico.com (you can order all 3 reports and FICO scores one time for $59.85 or a monthly subscription of $29.95 which will give you an updated credit report every 3 months)

4.www.annualcreditreport.com (you can order your free credit reports once every 12 months keeping in mind this does NOT come with your FICO credit scores)

Keep in mind, there are many third party consumer sites out there that offer your "credit score" which has no direct ties to actual credit/loan approval as it an internal scoring system that is made up and only used by them. Remember, if it's not Fico...it's a "Fako" and the majority of lenders be it for mortgage, credit cards or the auto industry still use Fico. 

Also keep in mind there are now approx. 60 different versions of Fico so you want to make sure you are looking at the right ones that has to do with your financing goals. Even the new Fico version/model 8 offered directly from Experian's website or from reputable large firms such as Chase haven't yet been adopted by mortgage lenders and may not be for quite some time. 

I would say most third party sites are good for getting a temperature reading of what's going on with your credit and for monitoring any new established credit in case you've ever dealt with fraud. Outside of those things, say if you're looking to buy a home, I would recommend getting reports and Fico scores that are as accurate as possible as it could mean the difference with getting approved or not. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Sukala
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
  • Rockford, IL
Replied Feb 10 2016, 12:36

@Robert Rodriguez I apologize I miss spoke. You can get your credit report from one of the 3 companies but you must a fee for your credit score. Granted this was years ago but I want to say it was like 8.99. Then You can check your report every 6 months from alternating those 3 companies with no dings on our report. 

User Stats

Votes
Zack Ellard
  • Claremore, OK
Votes |
  • Claremore, OK
Replied Feb 10 2016, 15:49

This is good info

Account Closed
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Feb 10 2016, 16:46

Hi Robert.

Here is a link to a post on credit I found quite useful. Hope this helps a little.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurengensler/2016/01/05/10-things-you-absolutely-need-to-know-about-your-credit/#2715e4857a0b44476896738a

User Stats

Votes
Robert Rodriguez
  • Hawthorne, CA
Votes |
  • Hawthorne, CA
Replied Feb 11 2016, 00:19

Thank you all for your feed back and information,  I ended up using credit karma, which was pretty easy to use. @Chris Sukala. I'm going to wait another 6 months, pay the fees, and get my report directly from all 3 bureau