Votes
DaJuan Thigpen
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
Buying Property Under LLC Vs. Under Your Name

DaJuan Thigpen
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Posted Feb 2 2018, 09:51

I am new to real estate investing and I have decided to commit myself to real estate investing. I am attempting to make my first investment purchase which will be a condo. I was wondering if it is better to purchase the condo under an LLC. or purchase it under my name? I plan to put down 20%.

Also, would it be possible to have property funded through a private lender and do a cash finance, and then refinance the property? 

Please advise as I will need all the advice and assistance I could possibly receive. Thanks in advance. 

User Stats

Votes
Harjeet Bhatti
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Glenview IL- CDLP NMLS#230554
Replied Feb 2 2018, 15:52

You can finance under commercial loan When you buy property under LLC . When its under personal name you can refinance under conventional loan. 15% down payment is minimum requirement for 1 unit under conventional loan. There are so many HML who can offer you finances. BP has so many good name which you can use for HML.

User Stats

Votes
Sam Grooms
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Feb 2 2018, 15:59

Depends on your state. Most people will tell you flat out that you should get an LLC. However, if it's expensive to do so in your state, an insurance policy might be a more cost effective option, with the same protection. Lending will also usually be easier if the property is in your name.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Kuchenbecker
  • Investor
  • Winter Garden , FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Winter Garden , FL
Replied Feb 2 2018, 17:41

Under your name is fine, especially for your first couple. If you have an LLC, it can still be pierced under several circumstances by a decent lawyer. Your home owners insurance policy covers you for just about any possible form of liability with the exception of negligence. Most lenders won’t finance in an LLC either.

User Stats

Votes
DaJuan Thigpen
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Replied Feb 2 2018, 23:40

Thank you guys for the information you’ve all provided. I appreciate you.

User Stats

Votes
David D'Errico
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Louisville, KY
Votes |
  • Louisville, KY
Replied Feb 3 2018, 04:32

Start making relationships with multiple lenders in your area so they get to know your name, your face and your company....it's not likely that you'll get approved for a loan using a new LLC with no history..... commercial loans may be different though

User Stats

Votes
Dan Amato
  • Nashville, TN
Votes |
  • Nashville, TN
Replied Feb 3 2018, 04:51

I am new as well and looking to purchase a rental at the turn of 2018-2019. In pursuit of this I have asked a few mortgage loan originators at regional banks about lending to LLCs for residential rental property. One answer that surprised me is one of the banks (this is anecdotal from a conversation, and of course would be subject to qualifying etc) would lend to the LLC through their MLO rather than through their commercial side - the members of the LLC would guarantee the note and payments would be on a bimonthly schedule through the term of the note. Thought it was interesting!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Feb 3 2018, 07:07

LLC serves as psychological protection more that anything else. Although many adamantly sell the necessity of a LLC it is rare to find any one that has actually been protected by it above that provided by insurance coverage.

It will complicate financing some what so it really boiles down to how much psychological security you require at this poin in your business.

User Stats

Votes
DaJuan Thigpen
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Votes |
  • Baton Rouge, LA
Replied Feb 5 2018, 05:31

Thanks to all for the insight and information shared. 

User Stats

Votes
Brian Garrett
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Palm Beach County, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Palm Beach County, FL
Replied Feb 5 2018, 05:48

For a commercial loan I believe having an LLC is required by lenders.

I don't recall talking to any that would write the deal under a personal name.

User Stats

Votes
Tomasz Poznanski
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Brooklyn, PA
Replied Apr 14 2020, 05:54

Thank you for sharing. I have a question maybe you or anybody here can help me. I have few properties under llc , however now i am buying property where i will be living. Its a house with a garage and barn. I am planning to also put few log cabins or prefab homes on property for short term rentals like Airbnb. I buy it for cash and it is foreclosure REO . But will need to put at least 50k in renovation. Also will do refi once the value is up after reno. I though about having my company llc mailing address there as well. How to separate those personal from company if i live there and it is under LLc . Do i pay rent to LLc . What is better in this case to get the most out of it . I will keep it for long term and probably buy more land arround it to build more prefab for airbnb.

Thank a lot