Where are the real investors? Any one know?... Bueller... Bueller

184 Replies

Well said, Chris. I think the only thing I can add to that is, you get out of this site what you put into it. I chime in on posts in which I feel I can contribute something to the conversation, because I like to help people. Plenty of people contact me as a result of my activity on this site. It's also done wonders for SEO on my website (unintended consequences). The majority of people who contact me are serious about investing. If they aren't already investing, they're certainly ready to pull the trigger. Very few tire-kickers.  Now, I have keywords set up, so the number of posts I read on here is really pretty limited, and I don't think I've ever started a thread myself - so my perspective is probably narrow by comparison to others on here. That's my .01 addition to your .02   ; )

Originally posted by @Chris Clothier :

I started posting here on BP almost 10 years ago.  The site has changed in so many ways and yet, as far as substance goes, it has stayed primarily right on mission.  Thousands of posters have come and gone in that time.  The people who post the most have turned over multiple times.  Some posters are prolific in how many times they post and others are prolific in the depth of what they post.  Not necessarily as frequent, but deeper.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by where are the "real investors"?  Perhaps that is a bit off-putting for some, but the answer is everywhere.  There are thousands of posters here on the site who have done a handful of deals to hundreds of deals.  So many people give their time answering questions and making connections and a lot use the site differently.   Some are in the forums and some are in the messaging systems and others are all over the market place.  Still, some are primarily in the BP blog and are posting on articles there daily.

But, I still see some great investors on here and really good responses.

Patience, persistence and authenticity are the magic ingredients to building great relationships, and even a great reputation if that is what you are after, here on BP.  I still see some great responses on here from experienced investors and plenty of posters who are willing to give advice and share their experiences.  Those investors are spending their time building their reputations, being thoughtful with their responses and basically just being authentically who they are.  I think they absolutely standout here on the site.  Over time, those investors will be replaced by a new group of posters who will surpass them.  

It may feel like there are more new investors today because the site has grown so much in popularity, but my view from being here for so long is the that site is the same as it's always been from a user standpoint.  There is a mix of new and experienced and plenty of users willing to share.  The names have just changed.  My .02...

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @Cody L.:
Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
Originally posted by @Gregory Storm:
Originally posted by @Steve Snyder:

BiggerPockets for a long time was a great place where investors could meet and exchange information and work together. Over the past year I have noticed a trend of a lot more newbies coming in just looking for information and a lot less real players who truly invest and work together. 

SO... I have two questions....

1) Has anyone else noticed this trend?

2) Where are the real real estate investors conversing if not on this forum?

Trying to figure out where everyone went.

-Steve

My guess is that the "real investors" are busy investing -- doing deals, looking for properties, walking job sites and making stuff happen. Speaking for myself, that's what I've been doing.  As much as I enjoy these forums, there are other priorities that demand time first.

After looking at your BP Profile, I have a couple of questions for you.

1. Your web site hasn't been updated since 2016.  Why? 
  2. Your https://twitter.com/PrivateMoneyEZ Twitter account hasn't been updated since 2016.  Why?
  3. Your https://www.facebook.com/privatemoneyloan/ Facebook Page hasn't been updated since 2016. Why?
  4. Your social links on your BiggerPockets profile are all broken and make it look like you're not paying attention to details. Why?

Maybe it's because you're busy doing deals and making stuff happen or maybe it's because you're spending too much time on BiggerPockets forum instead of doing deals.

Your post and profile got my attention at the right time because I'm opening escrow on five new properties and might need more lending options.  But as an investor who does fix & flip deals in Los Angeles who is open to working with new private lenders, I'm eager to hear why it looks like you've abandoned your private money business. I'm not saying you have abandoned it, but since there are no updates in almost two years, it definitely looks that way.

not to get totally off topic but west coast fix and flippers are in the cat bird seat when it comes to rates and terms these days.. the big crowdfunders.. the Genesis ,  Anchor,  Aloha , Civic, Norris, Lending home ,  Peer street   all of these folks are competing for your business.

I don't know anything about social stuff I personally don't really care for it.. I don't have a twitter account I opened a linkdin long ago and never looked at it again..  and I do a ton of business nationwide.. so not sure that matters or maybe it does I don't even know what Twitter does in a business context  other than I hear Trump use it all the time.. and facebook same thing I would NEVER engage a lender on that site its a social site.. Too many wanna bee's and fruads .  And since I drive a Tesla I have heard of Musk using twitter talking about buying his stock back and taking It private.. 

Dude, we have a lot in common...

And dude, if I was a betting man I would bet you have a P100 Ludacris  :)  me I am cheap I have basic model S and one step up X for the wife.. I was going to buy a 3 changed my mind on that one..   I get where a lot of these folks are coming from.. When I go to our Pilots owner and operators forums.. you get humbled every day.. with long time pilots  guys who have made it big in their business's and talk about the new jet they just bought etc etc … so I know how people feel when they are starting in real estate.. I only have 1k hours of flight time over many years and a lot of these pilots are pro's with 10 to 20k hours.. or the owners as I stated just sold their company for 100 million etc etc  we all get humbled right about the time we think we are something  LOL..  But you talk about networking holly molly.. 

Actually I have P90D.  I bought mine JUST before the P100's came out  :)  But I have a 3 I bought for Houston.  I want to buy an X but can't justify it.  I don't qualify for the tax break and my wife still has her Ford Edge and loves it.   I do have a reso for the new roadster though. 

I don't use BP for networking and some time ago decided to remove my company name.  I just try to join in on the forum fun or help from time to time :)

Originally posted by @Cody L. :
Originally posted by @Cody L.:
Originally posted by @Gregory Storm:
Originally posted by @Steve Snyder:

BiggerPockets for a long time was a great place where investors could meet and exchange information and work together. Over the past year I have noticed a trend of a lot more newbies coming in just looking for information and a lot less real players who truly invest and work together. 

SO... I have two questions....

1) Has anyone else noticed this trend?

2) Where are the real real estate investors conversing if not on this forum?

Trying to figure out where everyone went.

-Steve

My guess is that the "real investors" are busy investing -- doing deals, looking for properties, walking job sites and making stuff happen. Speaking for myself, that's what I've been doing.  As much as I enjoy these forums, there are other priorities that demand time first.

After looking at your BP Profile, I have a couple of questions for you.

1. Your web site hasn't been updated since 2016.  Why? 
  2. Your https://twitter.com/PrivateMoneyEZ Twitter account hasn't been updated since 2016.  Why?
  3. Your https://www.facebook.com/privatemoneyloan/ Facebook Page hasn't been updated since 2016. Why?
  4. Your social links on your BiggerPockets profile are all broken and make it look like you're not paying attention to details. Why?

Maybe it's because you're busy doing deals and making stuff happen or maybe it's because you're spending too much time on BiggerPockets forum instead of doing deals.

Your post and profile got my attention at the right time because I'm opening escrow on five new properties and might need more lending options.  But as an investor who does fix & flip deals in Los Angeles who is open to working with new private lenders, I'm eager to hear why it looks like you've abandoned your private money business. I'm not saying you have abandoned it, but since there are no updates in almost two years, it definitely looks that way.

not to get totally off topic but west coast fix and flippers are in the cat bird seat when it comes to rates and terms these days.. the big crowdfunders.. the Genesis ,  Anchor,  Aloha , Civic, Norris, Lending home ,  Peer street   all of these folks are competing for your business.

I don't know anything about social stuff I personally don't really care for it.. I don't have a twitter account I opened a linkdin long ago and never looked at it again..  and I do a ton of business nationwide.. so not sure that matters or maybe it does I don't even know what Twitter does in a business context  other than I hear Trump use it all the time.. and facebook same thing I would NEVER engage a lender on that site its a social site.. Too many wanna bee's and fruads .  And since I drive a Tesla I have heard of Musk using twitter talking about buying his stock back and taking It private.. 

Dude, we have a lot in common...

And dude, if I was a betting man I would bet you have a P100 Ludacris  :)  me I am cheap I have basic model S and one step up X for the wife.. I was going to buy a 3 changed my mind on that one..   I get where a lot of these folks are coming from.. When I go to our Pilots owner and operators forums.. you get humbled every day.. with long time pilots  guys who have made it big in their business's and talk about the new jet they just bought etc etc … so I know how people feel when they are starting in real estate.. I only have 1k hours of flight time over many years and a lot of these pilots are pro's with 10 to 20k hours.. or the owners as I stated just sold their company for 100 million etc etc  we all get humbled right about the time we think we are something  LOL..  But you talk about networking holly molly.. 

Actually I have P90D.  I bought mine JUST before the P100's came out  :)  But I have a 3 I bought for Houston.  I want to buy an X but can't justify it.  I don't qualify for the tax break and my wife still has her Ford Edge and loves it.   I do have a reso for the new roadster though. 

I don't use BP for networking and some time ago decided to remove my company name.  I just try to join in on the forum fun or help from time to time :)

that's why I have my charity at the bottom of my page …. at this stage its all about supporting our heros and joining forces with others on BP that donate to this charity so we can give a home to a true hero .. one of our first responders..  I love my Tesla's.. 

Man if they come out with a pick up truck for contractors that's going to kill it to.. that's one of the sub contractors biggest expenses is fuel. You cut that down by 3/4 s   and I Oregon I charge at night for 4 cents a KW so not bad to get a full tank of energy for 2 bucks.

I fill up my plane it cost 800.00  LOL... 

BP has grown tremendously just in the 3 or 4 years I've been participating, and as with ANY public forum, there will be newbies asking the same hundred questions that another newbie asked last week (and all answered multiple times the week before that).  Some of those folks will become "real" investors, many more won't.   Not everyone can be a librarian and actually do the research in advance  ;-)   C'est la vie.

I AM getting a LOT more colleague requests from people who don't bother to write a personal note introducing themselves and saying why they'd like to connect. Newbie or not, that's not professional conduct.   Unlike FaceBook these days, Bigger Pockets DOES have the option to include message, and -- heads up people! -- you're more likely to get deleted than accepted if you want somebody's time and connection without exchanging something about yourself first.  And if I take the time to look up the person requesting and see no profile info?  Wham -- in the TRASH.

Originally posted by @Anna Watkins :

BP has grown tremendously just in the 3 or 4 years I've been participating, and as with ANY public forum, there will be newbies asking the same hundred questions that another newbie asked last week (and all answered multiple times the week before that).  Some of those folks will become "real" investors, many more won't.   Not everyone can be a librarian and actually do the research in advance  ;-)   C'est la vie.

I AM getting a LOT more colleague requests from people who don't bother to write a personal note introducing themselves and saying why they'd like to connect. Newbie or not, that's not professional conduct.   Unlike FaceBook these days, Bigger Pockets DOES have the option to include message, and -- heads up people! -- you're more likely to get deleted than accepted if you want somebody's time and connection without exchanging something about yourself first.  And if I take the time to look up the person requesting and see no profile info?  Wham -- in the TRASH.

Hm, interesting.  That might not be a bad idea.  I Just hit "accept" (I get them almost daily) as I don't know the advantages/disadvantages of connecting, or why it's done etc. 

Edit:  Wow, 342 connections.  I don't think I've ever added anyone proactivly.  And 112 "followers".  Are those people that have settings to get notified when I say something?  If so I better be more careful with my comments  :)

It will be sad if BP creates a separate group for "real players", I think it will diminish the value of this site.    

As far as repetitive questions go, there is a way to reduce these - fix the "Search" function on BP website.  Currently it is not helpful (@Scott Trench , @Mindy Jensen - I'll be happy to elaborate separately, if needed). I found a way around it by typing my questions on Google and adding "biggerpockets" at the end. That way I get all the relevant results from BiggerPockets and this usually eliminates the need for a duplicate newbie question on BP forums. But I can see how most people would not go to these lengths, and after their attempt to search the BP site fails, they'll go ahead and post another "Tenant is late on rent" question.

Originally posted by @Diane G. :

It is a reflection of RE market cycle......

Whenever market is at its peak, whether RE or stock, it is flooded with newbies and the experienced already left the market.... If I look around myself, seasoned investors are all waiting for crash now....

@Diane G., I completely agree about waiting for the crash to deploy majority of cash. Do you think we'll see more of a 2000-01 dotcom correction of -10% or a 08-09 financial crisis drop of -27%, and when do you think the next crash/correction will occur? 

In the last month, I've noticed some indicators that suggest a potential correction is coming soon: the Bay Area market turning a little bit in favor of the buyer (but wonder if that's just seasonality) and there has been a lot of chatter in the equity/options/bond investor circles of a yield curve inversion quickly approaching (key indicator of approaching recession). 

But on the other side for investing now, there's rising interest rates and the fact that the huge PE investors are doubling down on Single-family, especially in secondary markets, and the position that the yield curve inversion this time around is a red herring because of other positive indicators that weren't in place in past cycles. These market indicators and market behaviors among big players tell me that if you're in it to buy and hold, believe a crash won't happen for at least another year or more, and that the correction will likely be like 2000-01, it may make sense to invest now even if there may be a crash/correction soon. 

What do those who've been through multiple major investment cycles think? What was successful for you during similar times in the past when moving into and out of past crashes? Are there RE investment strategies you recommend if you want to continue investing through a crash, similar to hedging strategies in the options/equities universe?

Thanks!

Originally posted by @Anna Watkins :

I get a number of colleague requests too. At least tell me why you want to connect with me......otherwise I probably won't accept. 

Quite the interesting topic of conversation here. And a very interesting series of exchanges. I'm sure that @Scott Trench and @Mindy Jensen are appreciative of all the passion for making Biggerpockets a better place and to help it continue evolving to meet the needs of the many different types of members who are here. 

I've only recently started contributing on BP but my initial impression is that the site feels like Quora for real estate rather than a real estate meetup. At meetups we share our deals, what we are looking for, find people who we can work with and ask questions. The post restrictions prevent that type of advertising and promotion, but it helps prevent this site from just being a Craigslist for real estate. An experienced investor doesn't have the incentive to stay on BP answering questions if they don't get any benefit themselves. That being said I think the networking aspect of BP needs to improve and could help retain experienced investors.

I still find value at going to local meetups, not as much for learning anymore but just for networking and meeting new people. I've tried the member search and it was slow and difficult just to find a friend that was on BP. Networking on BP is basically be as helpful as you can and hope that people connect with you. As you gain more knowledge and connections outside of BP though, the site loses value because you have to put a lot more effort into it than what you get out of it. I guess BP is more of a knowledge/learning base than a networking one anyway.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here