Dropping out of High School.

209 Replies

I dropped out of high school at the beginning of my senior year due to "boredom".  Looking back, I cannot say I regret my decision but I should have stayed through the last year.  I ended up getting my GED and going to college years later.

Some schools offer a work/study program where you can get credits for working in local businesses.  Our high school would allow 1 class as a junior and 2 classes as a senior to be work study.

Taking the shop, drafting and construction classes in high school could be a great option too to prepare you.

@John Moorhouse

As everyone else has said. Stay in school. The world is not kind to high school drop outs. I saw your note that you have changed your mind so that is good.

Some ideas for you while is school:

- start a real estate club in your school or financial

- join (or start) your school’s Habitat for Humanity club. You can start getting building experience there. My son was in his high school club and very much enjoyed it

- start to build your network. This is the single best thing you can do for future success in any field

- continue to do your research and define your focus area

Good luck!

Cristin

@John Moorhouse I echo all the above comments. I’m 34, in a dead end HR job after having a college and high school education. Income is good for my area though. I also have aspirations for real estate and to be a landlord of as many homes as I can buy. Yet, there are good stepping stones to get into place. And if there was ever one that was super important, it’s graduating high school.

Your aspirations and drive are to be admired but not graduating will only work against you in my opinion. In many unforeseen ways in your future.

You are young and have PLENTY of time. Do what I didn’t do and graduate high school and start RE investing in your 20’s instead of your 30’s.

Get that degree and then attack it. You’ll be rich but get the right stepping stones in place.

@John Moorhouse . In 1924, my grandfather's parents made him go out to work after 8th grade. He wasn't allowed to go to high school, even though he wanted to and his four older siblings were allowed. He did ok for himself, but his greatest regret in life was that he didn't have that education. Make the most of the opportunity to go to school.

@John Moorhouse don’t do it, get into a vocational program where you get credit for working, but not only do need that diploma, you will be glad you graduated for reunions. I know it’s tough, but it gets better, not if you don’t have a diploma

I can understand where you are coming from.  I also disliked the school curriculum and experience a lot. When I was in HS I was doing programming work for companies and earning pretty solid hourly rates. I ended up sticking with it, probably because I didn't feel strongly enough to try to buck the system.  

Getting a diploma seems to be the minimum in society.  It is hard to quantify how much of my ability to do critical thinking, stick through bs projects, etc was developed from my later years of school.  

My state had a program where I was able to take classes from a local college for things that were not offered by my high school.  I pretty much only took a few core classes at my HS my jr/sr year and then took a bunch of programming and computer courses from my college.  So I was only there for a few hours a day. 

You have plenty of time to get going.  I think you will find some value in Gary Vaynerchuck's videos.  Real estate is super capital intensive and a long term business.  Invest in yourself first, then start to build your business.

The only scenario where I would consider giving advice towards dropping out would be if you were somehow incurring debt while going to school. 

You mentioned wanting to work for the fire department.  This is probably a great job to do while investing in RE.  A few days on a few days off can be great for carving out time to work on projects.  It is easier to work 12 hour shifts at work and work on days off than it is to work 8 hours and put in 4 hours after consistently.  I imagine you have a vocational school you can go to that would offer training that will give you a better chance of getting hired out of HS at the fire department, and/or could get you better pay. 

Don't drop out of school.  

I hated school, so a set up my own internship program.  I was into theatre (backstage work) at the time.  I convinced my guidance counselor and a local theatre to let me intern every day from 1-4.  I got out of school my senior year at 12n every day.  I created the program got people to sign off on it etc.  Maybe you could work out something like that?

Or figure out a way to graduate early.  You need to solve your problem while still finishing high school.  Problem solving is an important skill to have in the real estate world.

Build your credit ASAP and get a job to save money and build and employment history that lenders want to see.  Learn as much as you can and watch the market and you will be ready to hit the ground running the moment you graduate, hey maybe you can even be under contract to buy your first property before you graduate!

I’m really new here, just subbed to this website yesterday and only just found this thread.

I’m 44 years old. I dropped out of high school 3 times during 10th grade. I settled on getting a GED after needing to wait until after my classmates had graduated. I was not an honor roll student, such as yourself. But I have always regretted my decision to leave school. I had personal family issues which caused me to self destruct. I got into drugs and fights and all that comes with that lifestyle (without the tattoos or piercings).

I had nobody in my corner advising me effectively to stay in school. I’ve only read a couple replies on this thread and wished I had asked someone knowledgeable back then for a solid plan to put in place that I could follow and stick to.

Like you, I'm totally blown away by the resources this website offers and I only just started. I'm already devouring the BRRRR book and am excited to get started. But, I can tell you with confidence, that if you are 16-18, your best move is to work on your mind first. You will not forget the major things you've learned here before you graduate high school if you keep studying the concepts of real estate. Keep in mind that much of real estate is a slow as molasses type of wealth building. As a teenager, I know it feels like you're going to miss the boat if you don't jump on the money train right now, at this exact moment. But that's an emotional response and will do more harm than good. Take a deep breath and slow down. You won't miss a thing. Focus on building your knowledge by finishing high school with honors and then after graduation, the sky is the limit.

I don't recommend it.  However, I will give you a scenario where it makes sense since everyone else is likely going to give you the blanket "hell no" response.  However, take note of this scenario's difference between this example and yours.

I have a fried, that started a summer/weekend business in High School when he was 15.  He started with a friend of his who was 17, it was unique, and making good money.  The following year, the older friend early enlisted in the military and then graduated.  He had no time for their little business, so he told my friend "it's yours"  During that time, my friends business grew to the point where he had too much work, and was making real money, at 16 years old.  He talked with his dad, and they agreed he should work to grow it.  He dropped out and went on to get his GED.  Now, up to this point, he was a great student, not a "flunky"  By age 30 he had 6 employees.  He also needed those skills learned to run a business, he just happened to have a existing application for what he learned.

The point, he did't quite because he was "bored" and decided to "give something a try"  he already had something, and it was promising, and he legitimately could reasonably expect to support himself, BEFORE he made the decision.  He still went for his GED to cover his bases.  You are only taking away a lot of opportunities in the future by forgoing your diploma on "potential" options.

Let's say you do what you are suggesting.  Being under 18, you have restrictions on what you can do on a job site, hours you can work, etc.  It might be hard to get a regular 9-5.  but, assuming you do.  and say, 5 months in, you fall off a ladder, break something bad, and can never do labor intensive work again.  What do you fall back on?  What is going to fund your budding real-estate empire?  Would YOU lend a kid with no job, and no diploma 100k to speculate on a fix and flip?  based on what years of construction/real estate experience?

Do some trials.  Take your summer to work your butt off, find some houses and run some scenarios.  Maybe find an investor willing to pay you a finders fee if any houses you find work out.  Then at least you'll learn what a good deal is vs. not.

@John Moorhouse I'm sure like many people have already suggested in this thread, my recommendation is to not drop out of high school especially since you only have two years left. I think it's great you want to get into real estate investing at such a young age! I wish I was in your mindset when I was at your age. It's always good to have a backup plan just in case rei doesn't work out. Though you seem to have the drive and passion and I think you're off to a great start. 

Just think when you go back to your high school reunion and can tell everyone there how successful you are and all the properties you own! 

@John Moorhouse

School is not about education & smarts.

It’s about toughness.

I have a masters degree.

Am I starter than those that don’t? Of course not.

Am I tougher for earning that masters degree? Yes, I am.

If you quit school, what’s keeping you from quitting the next thing?

@John Moorhouse

Im not suggesting or telling you what to do. I am just telling you my experience. I dropped out of highschool when I was 16 because I realized that in my state (Oklahoma) a high school diploma is the same exact thing as a ged. Also I bought my first house at age 16 and was to busy working full time and flipping a house I didnt have time for school. I recently passed my brokers exam and have several real estate businesses. The path has been hard as **** but I would not have it any other way. I am not the best with grammer as I am sure you can tell by now but nothing that has held me back from my own form of success. 

My main concern with a person of your age being so focused on money would be not appreciating what you currently have to chase a figmented "value" for success. All the ******** you see online with people having fancy cars and nice houses doesnt mean **** if they dont have a family to love, friends to enjoy, or anything of TRUE value. 

Best of luck. 

@John Moorhouse

If I were your age and looked back a decade before when I was five and thinking–I build great LEGO spaceships, I wan't to drop out of 1st grade to build LEGOs all the time–it would be absurd, right? There really is no difference in that, and what you are pondering right now. 

Hope that helps with some perspective.

@John Moorhouse

No matter what you do in life, you’re going to need a high level of education to be successful. It’s much faster to put yourself through the pain of classes either college or high school than to learn in the real world.

You not only should graduate high school but you should consider taking some business classes at a local community college such as marketing, accounting, finance, and anything that has to do with sales.

Granted there is a possibility of getting through life without completing high school, BUT, you’d have better chances hitting the lottery. Honestly, high school is sooo easy compared to everything else in life. Stay in school.

Life is like poker.  You have to make decisions with incomplete data.  The goal is to make decisions that give you the greatest percentage chance of success.  With that in mind, there is overwhelming evidence that graduating high school and, for that matter, college provide a significant advantage.

Further, you are making the decision as though these options are mutually exclusive.  I work a full time job and have a wife and 3 kids and have managed to accumulate 38 units, so far.  You can absolutely do both.

Lastly, I'll give you a secret to real estate success.  Nothing lets you weather the ups and downs of real like a massive income.  Long term success depends on being well capitalized.

Just my thoughts...

@John Moorhouse

Heres a potential solution. Cut back on your time commitment to get those A+s’, settle for a C. If you want to be an entrepreneur then you’re not going to college anyways.. so who cares!

Find a mentor that is willing to take you under their wing! We love seeing young guns like you with a passion to be an entrepreneur!

Start focusing your time on studying the game. Build your network, use social media, etc. don’t wast your time lazing around, learn learn learn! Buy real estate books, listen to podcasts, ask questions!

With all that in mind, don’t drop out of high school, not a good idea! Start planning your future after you graduate from high school and make sure you do your thorough due diligence!

Good luck!

@John Moorhouse   Man, I think you want to many things at the same time, and you have a lot of greatness in you, I can believe that just seeing the way you write with passion.  NOW, Don't quit high school as much as I agree with you. do not finish, This time period use it as a learning experience for endurance and patients  ( YOu will need that a lot with RE Investing.) 

Life not always be so graceful and let you do whatever you want to do at the time you want to do it. ( and more likely I have the feeling you probably have the opportunity of quitting now because you have convinced yourself you can do it and your current condition is allowing you to do it).  Don't quit, Use this time to grow mentally on RE, cultivate endurance and prove yourself that even in the most toughest and uncomfortable times, you are able to give your BEST (Get good grades, Even if it doesn't make sense) but do your best just because you have the power and freedom to do it. and in the futures, you can be an example for your KIDs. 

Trust me it will pay off, and if you want after that, don't even go to University..

Regards

@John Moorhouse - There are many reasons you want to stay in school and at a minimum get your High School Diploma.

1. There may be the opportunity to work on non-tradition subjects that can help you in real estate. Subjects like accounting, writing, technology/web design, public speaking, and financial literacy will be critical for success.

2. Real estate success does not happen in a vacuum. To be successful, you will need to work with others such as contractors, government officials, tenants, mentors, bankers and investor partners. To work with people like this, you need credibility. Dropping out of High School (regardless of reason) will be a black mark against your credibility and it will be that much harder to convince these partners to work with you to grow your real estate portfolio.

3. Be patient. The housing market is very hot now and there is a good chance that the market will soften soon. By the time you graduate, there is a good chance there will be more good deals out there. Plus you will have two more years to scrimp and save and build your capital base and you will be better prepared to act when the market softens.

Good luck.

@John Moorhouse , I completely understand and identify with your feeling. When I was 13, I read Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki, and at that point I decided that I was not going to attend college after high school. When you know you're not going to attend college, and you know you want to be a real estate professional (as I did), school can definitely seem to lose it's value. 

I did end up finishing high school, and becoming a real estate professional. I even went back to school part time at 23, and ended up earning my bachelor's, even though it is absolutely not a requirement for my profession. Why would I do this? The same reason why you want to become financially independent through real estate... options. Just like how having a substantial passive income gives you options for how you want to spend your time and live your life, education gives you options as well. You may not want to do anything but be a GC right now, but things can change. Once you become financially free, you may decide to pursue some other type of passion career... or not... but the point is that having a high school diploma gives you more options than not having one. 

@John Moorhouse - Stay in school for all the reasons above. Do the following to set yourself up for success. 

1. Earn your first Downpayment: Find a part time job / side hustle and save, save more, and then keep saving (words of wisdom from my uncle) 

2. Master the basics: Learn as much about RE as you possibly can. Not just they RDPD hype stuff, as fun as it is to read. Get to know the fundamentals of investing so well that you can talk to any one. I suggest to start here. This will immeiately boost your confidence and let you hang with the big boys when they're talking NOI, EBITA Triple Net, etc...: https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/what-every-real-estate-investor-needs-to-know-about-cash-flow-and-36-other-key-financial-measures_frank-gallinelli/256054/?mkwid=sFM5qtcnV%7cdc&pcrid=70112878392&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&pgrid=21323665512&ptaid=pla-292616666786&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxYLoBRCxARIsAEf16-vQGXb3c227ViF_YOS8iYlKQJLF1blMh9rSc4JQ2JgLXKxOdBxxOFgaAhTUEALw_wcB#isbn=0071422579&idiq=3815551

3. Tell everyone you know: Tell all of your classmates that you are interested in RE and get them interested. I did this when I was 16 with investing in the market. Found an 18 year old, drew up a contract and started an investment club. I'll bet that at least one of your classmates parents are in the RE field in some form or fashion. Find them and soak in the advice. Then ask for helping putting together your first deal. They might even stake you or sell you somethign they own (think seller financing) 

4. Get a great model for RE. A great model does not have to be complex. You can find simple ones on the internet, or you can build your own (added benefit of learning excel - use linda/udemy and create a life skill). This will help you show folks your potential investments in an easily digestible way. Mine shows a graph of all expenses, and graph of all income and 6 key metrics at the top. Serves as a great one pager when talking to investors. Notice that you'll have to master 2 before you do this!

5. Find an agent: in the area who also invests and get coffee with them. If you have mastered the things above and can intellegently explain to an agent what you want they will help you (it's their job, and they make money when you buy!) 

6. Get in the game: Use the four things above to find a deal, any deal, no matter how small. For me 1-4 set me up for success, but 5 was the way that I learned the most and launched into RE. 

I wish you the best of luck and love your zeal. I wish I'd have started when I was your age. If you buy soon, you could have someone paying off your mortgage for 7 years by the time you're my age!

@John Moorhouse Use up as much free education as possible. Yes, with a lot of things all you need is to know the majority of the basics, have an adaptable personality and get a foot in the door. However, having education (and not just word of mouth but rather proof on paper; ex. a diploma) will help you get that foot in the door at a faster and easier pace. I personally had a similar thought process but stuck it out until I graduated high school in 2018. My choice of not going to college was because of the trade off that I simply wouldn’t appreciate it enough right now for the cost I’d be paying as well as yes, my time can be spent progressing myself in other areas. But hands down, as long as you are getting educated FOR FREE I would personally insist you to take as much advantage of that as possible.

can you switch you to homeschool so you aren't wasting so much time.  You aren't wrong in your assessment of the public school system, you would be better served enrolling yourself as self directed and getting a GED. That would be different than dropping out.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here