Best time to buy (when there are good deals)

8 Replies

Create post

Now there are always deals year-round and it can fluctuate between markets but the I have noticed in my time as a real estate investor that the winter months seem to be the best time to buy because there seems to be less competition and seller seem more desperate at this time as well, especially during the holidays. What are your thoughts?

Between thanksgiving and mid February have been the best times in my experience. Keep in mind there will be less inventory though.

Originally posted by @Jordan Moorhead :

Between thanksgiving and mid February have been the best times in my experience. Keep in mind there will be less inventory though.

I agree with you those are great times for me as well, February could also roll into March if it's a prolonged winter or bad weather.

@Quentin Mitchell I agree. However it is typically harder to find tenants during these months so any value-add deals which require turnover might have an extra longer holding cost. Most people don't like moving in the winter months understandably so any value-add "raise rent" with new tenant plays will take longer to fill with new tenants. But the competition on acquisitions does seem to fade off during the holidays...

Originally posted by @Chris Levarek :

@Quentin Mitchell I agree. However it is typically harder to find tenants during these months so any value-add deals which require turnover might have an extra longer holding cost. Most people don't like moving in the winter months understandably so any value-add "raise rent" with new tenant plays will take longer to fill with new tenants. But the competition on acquisitions does seem to fade off during the holidays...

Yes harder to find tenants but they are out there.

@Quentin Mitchell

Well The property taxes are due at this time . Folks cash out before they get their butt in a sling with late taxes high heating bills and holding costs . If they are on the verge of giving up a cold winter chill can push them over the edge .

Originally posted by @Dennis M. :

@Quentin Mitchell

Well The property taxes are due at this time . Folks cash out before they get their butt in a sling with late taxes high heating bills and holding costs . If they are on the verge of giving up a cold winter chill can push them over the edge .

Yes and yes

Really depends on your market.  Here in Miami sales slow down during the summer and some good deals can be found. Also there are a lot of out of state owners here in Miami who get spooked by hurricane season.  The cost and worry of dealing with hurricane season can motivate a lot of people to sale. 

Originally posted by @Germaine Bell :

Really depends on your market.  Here in Miami sales slow down during the summer and some good deals can be found. Also there are a lot of out of state owners here in Miami who get spooked by hurricane season.  The cost and worry of dealing with hurricane season can motivate a lot of people to sale. 

Great point different markets have different issues that give local investors a slight edge.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here