Christopher Hikel
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
Converting a multi-family rental to condos with a mortgage

Christopher Hikel
  • Cincinnati, OH
Posted Apr 23 2016, 09:04

Hi all,

I am brand new to the game; so thank you in advance for your advice and support in getting me started. To cut to the chase, I am currently under contract to purchase a 4-unit multi-family rental building, in which I currently live in one of the units. I still have an out in the contract, should I decide to use it. My desire and intention is to convert the building to condos two years from now and sell them. This is a very hot condo market, and I expect that I could make a nice return without putting much more work into the units.

Here is the kicker: I would be financing the purchase of the building with an FHA mortgage, because I do not have the 20% down required for a commercial loan. However, I am not up to speed on whether I can convert to condos while I have an FHA loan. I am also unsure of what it takes to refinance to a commercial loan down the road, if that is what I would have to do.

So, can anybody tell me: 1) is it possible to convert to condos with an FHA mortgage? 2) If it is not, how difficult is it to refinance a building to a commercial loan that would allow me to do this?

I am trying to avoid getting into a bad situation, so any timely advice would be greatly appreciated. I have 5 days to use my out in the contract.

Thanks,

Chris

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Liska
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Verona, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Verona, NJ
Replied Apr 23 2016, 11:41

That shouldn't be a problem according to this article : http://www.fha.com/fha_article?id=272

FHA does have condo conversion financing

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Hikel
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Apr 26 2016, 15:13

Patrick -- thanks for the link. I found a few more resources too. It looks like it shouldn't be the end of the world to look for a partial lien release to sell the condos one at a time.

Whew.

Thanks,

Chris

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Goldfarb
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Jersey City, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Jersey City, NJ
Replied Apr 27 2016, 20:34

@Christopher Hikel--

If you're purchasing the 4-unit building using FHA financing, I don't believe you'll be able to pursue the conversion while that financing is still in place. The process of converting the building to a condominium requires filing a master deed and establishing an HOA in order to end up with four separately deeded units that you can sell off individually.

When you're ready to begin the conversion, I'd suggest pursuing financing that is tailored to that strategy as standard loan documents will not cater to your plan. Your new loan will pay off your FHA loan, and will likely contain a partial lien release, like you mentioned above, which may be structured such that the lender will be made whole prior to you cashing out (i.e., you may not realize any profits until the final unit is sold).

I've looked at a few properties locally for which I was considering this strategy. In some neighborhoods, with the market as it is today, any 4-family I find that throws off decent cash flow makes a pretty solid condo conversion candidate assuming execution in that locale isn't a problem. For long-term holds, I consider that exit strategy as gravy.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Maggie Vineyard
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Apr 29 2016, 07:10

Hi Christopher-

This is a great idea though can be trickier that it appears. I was a loan broker for 8 years and did many condo conversion loans in California. I agree with Ryan G. You need financing specifically for a condo conversion which will allow for partial releases. FHA could have a program for it, but I am not familiar with it.

It may be difficult to qualify for one of these loans without prior experience so you may want to find a partner who has done conversions before.  I would suggest checking with local banks who specialize in commercial and multifamily financing and know the area well.  Also, make sure you know what qualifications each unit and the building must meet to be converted.  While I was working in San Diego in 2007, the city changed the required parking per unit and many people got stuck with projects that could no longer be converted.  In addition, these were properties that didn't cash flow as apartments because they paid an inflated price and were on balloon loans that came due and they couldn't sell.  It was very ugly and many of the less experienced investors lost it all.  Just make sure you do your homework and don;t overpay for the apartment building!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

User Stats

Votes
Christopher Hikel
  • Cincinnati, OH
Votes |
  • Cincinnati, OH
Replied Apr 29 2016, 14:22

Awesome guys. Thanks for the feedback. I decided to back away from this deal because, after getting more information and projecting a tax increase after the sale, the DSCR was too tight.

Looking at a different place now, with a projected DSCR of 1.18 - 1.25 depending on the year. Hopefully will be putting an offer and going to contract Monday.