Skip to content
Multi-Family and Apartment Investing

User Stats

Votes
Todd Young
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Votes |
1031 Strategy: Sell first or find replacement property first?

Todd Young
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Posted Sep 15 2020, 19:30

I first posted this in the Buying and Selling Forum, but I think it is better suited to this forum as ya'll are big multifamily investors. 

I'm ready for my first "Big" 1031 exchange. I've done several 1 for 1 exchanges, trading a SFR for a triplex or a duplex for a fourplex. But now I'm wanting to up my game, upgrade my clientele and get a 30-50 unit complex. This is uncharted territory for me so I would love some advice from people who have done this.

Here's what I'm selling - I have a portfolio of duplexes triplexes and fourplexes - 7 of them that I'm ready to sell. They are all value-add plays that I've improved, and increased income. They are mostly in the Everett area of Washington with one in Marysville one in Seattle. I've had two different residential multifam realtors give me CMAs for each property and the portfolio is worth about $6.3mil, of which I should net about $2.6Mil for my down payment.

So far, I've had a couple commercial brokers out scouting around looking for a deal for me in the 30-50 unit range in South Snohomish County in the $5mil - $10mil range. So far they haven't found one and I'm getting conflicting advice from the brokers about how to go about this.

One says I should wait until I have my replacement property identified - since that could take a while - and then list the small properties once i'm under contract, making the deal contingent on the sale of those properties. I'm pretty comfortable with this tactic. as I'm nervous about running up against my 45 day identification deadline.

One says I should list my 7 properties as a package deal, I might net a little less (5-10%) but the benefit of closing everything at once and being able to snag a deal on an upleg is worth it. Furthermore he says I should market and sell my properties first without having any replacement identified because no seller is going to take me serious, or want to tie up their property with a buyer's selling contingency.

When I did a 1 for 1 exchange it has always been kindof easy, I was usually able to find a buyer and a replacement property at the same time it seemed. But this twist of trying to sell 7 properties is tricky and stressing me out!

What have you done? Have you sold multiple properties to exchange into a larger one? If so, did you list and sell your properties first or wait until you identified a replacement? Did you sell your portfolio as a package? Or am I better off listing them individually?

Thanks! Todd

User Stats

Votes
Michael Swan
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
  • San Diego, CA
Replied Sep 15 2020, 20:13

In my 10 properties I 1031 exchanged, I had the property I was purchasing almost signed on the dotted line before I even put my Properties  on the market. I did NOT want to be on the clock and take a bad deal, just to do a 1031 exchange.

Swanny

User Stats

Votes
Todd Dexheimer#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St. Paul, MN
Votes |
Todd Dexheimer#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • St. Paul, MN
Replied Sep 15 2020, 21:04

Depending on your cash position you can always do a reverse 1031 Exchange, where you purchase the asset first. 

If going traditionally, I would be looking for the replacement property and getting your portfolio ready to sell. Once you feel you are getting good leads, you could then list the portfolio or if you know it will go very fast, just wait until a property is under contract. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Arn Cenedella
Pro Member
#2 Multi-Family and Apartment Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Sep 16 2020, 04:51

@Todd Young

Excellent question, it’s one that investors have debated continually.

Here’s my two cents worth........

Given how hot the multifamily market is, I believe you will find it difficult to find a seller of a large property who will be willing to accept an offer contingent upon the sale of a 7 property package. There is so much cash looking for a place to land - if the property you want is a decent investment - there will be cash buyers after it. I don’t think your contingent upon sale of a 7 property package will be competitive.

So here would be my approach:

1. Identify a few markets you want to buy in

2. Learn the market there, understand market price, run the numbers to confirm the typical property in that market at the typical price for the market will produce the returns you want.

3. I agree that listing the 7 properties as a package is the way to go. I believe there will be many newbie investors looking for this kind of package deal.

4. List 7 property package

5. Get an acceptable offer and include in the contract your ability to extend close for up to 60 days. This will give you plenty of time to locate the new investment.

Here’s how the time table would work:

List package Sept 15.

Enter into contract say Oct 15 with 60 day close and ability to extend for another 60 days.

In this way, you will have up to 4 months and 45 days to identity up to 3 replacement properties. So that would be until April 1 to find a suitable replacement property. I humbly suggest if you can not find a suitable investment by April 1, your criteria is probably not realistic.

Of course while the sale aspect is moving forward, you keep looking....and the intensity of your looking increases every step of the way pending developments on the 7 property package sale.

During this process, your offer to buy would evolve as the sale transaction moved forward.

The strength of your offer would increase each step as follows.

1. Now, your offer would be contingent upon sale of 7.

2. Once you get a contract on the 7, your offer would be contingent on close of 7 sale.

2 is a stronger offer than 1. 

3. Your buyer completes due diligence and his EMD goes non refundable.

Now your offer would be contingency upon close of a firm contract on 7.

3 is stronger than 2.

Each step of the way, your offer becomes more attractive to your seller to be found.

As I have structured the transaction, you would have five and a half months from the day you sign a contract of sale of 7 to find your purchase property.

If you are realistic on your buy criteria, that should be long enough.

Of course, do not wait until the 11th hour to buy something, get it done as soon as you can knowing you have time.

42 years of experience and dozens of 1031s completed all over the US.

Hope this helps.

Arn

User Stats

Votes
Todd Young
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Edmonds, WA
Replied Sep 17 2020, 05:53

@Arn Cenedella

Thanks for this well-explained advice. I met with the broker yesterday who told me that, based on his firm’s relationships with owners in my purchase geography they would have no problem finding a replacement property. After hearing from a few different investors that my contingent-on-sale-offer would be too weak to generate seller interest I’m convinced. I went ahead and listed my 7 properties with these guys who have a team of marketers who will aggressively market them.

Now, when someone who is trying to sell me something says “no problem” when others are definitely having a problem I’m naturally skeptical. But this particular agent sold a billion dollars in multifamily real estate last year, and his firm sold multiple billions... all by finding off market deals. I guess I’m convinced.

I’ll post again later to let you know what the outcome was.

I really appreciate the advice. I’ve been a mentor to many 1st time investors, but I’ve never had a mentor myself and this new stage I’m going into feels much more risky than deals I’ve done in the past.

Todd

User Stats

Votes
Arn Cenedella
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Greenville, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Coach
  • Greenville, SC
Replied Sep 20 2020, 08:13

@Todd Young

You are welcome.

Just include a clause to extend sale escrow if need be and you should be fine.

Yes, let us know how it goes.

Arn