Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Real Estate Investing
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Frost
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Votes |
Cash Out Refinance Investing

Nathan Frost
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Posted Sep 20 2022, 11:27

Hi, I am trying to see what has worked for other investors and which strategy seems smart.  I have lived in my primary home for 10 years and could cash out 40k to buy 2 more rental properties locally.  Or should I look at my portfolio of 9 properties and see if I could cash out on those to buy 1 more property?  Most of my single family home rental properties were purchased in 2020 and 2021 so I don't think there is a lot of equity to pull there.  Wish I could use of my rental properties/equity as a down payment for my next rental purchase.  Any tips or advice is warranted.

User Stats

Votes
Steven Foster Wilson
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Sep 20 2022, 12:02
Quote from @Nathan Frost:

Hi, I am trying to see what has worked for other investors and which strategy seems smart.  I have lived in my primary home for 10 years and could cash out 40k to buy 2 more rental properties locally.  Or should I look at my portfolio of 9 properties and see if I could cash out on those to buy 1 more property?  Most of my single family home rental properties were purchased in 2020 and 2021 so I don't think there is a lot of equity to pull there.  Wish I could use of my rental properties/equity as a down payment for my next rental purchase.  Any tips or advice is warranted.

I would look at what things are selling around your 9 properties. For my first property, I refinance again in the first 2 years because I saw the prices were going up. Review the comps and whatever makes sense go for it. Also, call as many lenders as you can to see who has the best rates/terms for you. 

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#4 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#4 Private Lending & Conventional Mortgage Advice Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Sep 20 2022, 12:03

I think the first strategy would make a lot more sense. A lot of portfolio lenders are capped at 75% LTV for a cash out. So if you don't have that much equity it may not make sense. But I couldn't really say without seeing your schedule of RE.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Aj Parikh
  • Centreville, VA
Votes |
  • Centreville, VA
Replied Sep 20 2022, 12:48

Hi Nathan, cashing out or opening HELOC is a great way to start rental property investing. I used a HELOC to start investing in turnkey properties out of state. I primarily invest in Cleveland in SFH and small multi family. Feel free to reach out if you want to explore that strategy.

User Stats

Votes
Kaci Hunter
  • Lender
  • Comfort, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Comfort, TX
Replied Sep 20 2022, 13:15

Two things

Check the comps in the area of all your rentals.  The areas may have increased in home values creating some more equity. 

What's the current interest rate on all your houses? Would giving up that interest rate for a new (most likely higher) interest rate be recovered somehow in the rents? 

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Sep 20 2022, 14:26

@Nathan Frost depending on where your existing rental properties are, you might be surprised to find how much equity there is. Many of our clients have been able to pull a lot of equity out of properties that they just bought 2-3 years ago. If you haven't already done so, I would get some comps to determine the values. In any case, HELOC's are a great way to freeing up capital for downpayment. Otherwise, all that equity is sitting in the properties not working for you.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Frost
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Votes |
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Replied Sep 21 2022, 07:02
Quote from @Mike D'Arrigo:

@Nathan Frost depending on where your existing rental properties are, you might be surprised to find how much equity there is. Many of our clients have been able to pull a lot of equity out of properties that they just bought 2-3 years ago. If you haven't already done so, I would get some comps to determine the values. In any case, HELOC's are a great way to freeing up capital for downpayment. Otherwise, all that equity is sitting in the properties not working for you.

I asked my bank and they said they don't do HELOCs is there a way to get one at other banks?  My thought is to use equity from the rentals as a down payment on my next rental investment property or a line of credit.  What do you suggest in order to expand my portfolio?  I am trying to see which creative financing avenue I can use to add 1-2 more rental properties.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Frost
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Votes |
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Replied Sep 21 2022, 07:03
Quote from @Kaci Hunter:

Two things

Check the comps in the area of all your rentals.  The areas may have increased in home values creating some more equity. 

What's the current interest rate on all your houses? Would giving up that interest rate for a new (most likely higher) interest rate be recovered somehow in the rents? 

Rates right now are 5.5-7 for commercial loan.  I am trying to see what other avenues I can pursue for funding since my bank said they do not do HELOCs.

User Stats

Votes
Mike D'Arrigo
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Turn key provider
  • San Jose, CA
Replied Sep 21 2022, 13:54

I asked my bank and they said they don't do HELOCs is there a way to get one at other banks?  My thought is to use equity from the rentals as a down payment on my next rental investment property or a line of credit.  What do you suggest in order to expand my portfolio?  I am trying to see which creative financing avenue I can use to add 1-2 more rental properties.

Some banks don't do them but there are plenty of others that do.

User Stats

Votes
Nathan Frost
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Votes |
  • Wichita Falls, TX
Replied Sep 22 2022, 05:42

Some banks don't do them but there are plenty of others that do.

So shop around?  One bank said a line of credit.  How can one use a line of credit on good deals?  Trying to see how to add 1-2 properties with a line of credit.