Skip to content
General Real Estate Investing

User Stats

Votes
Edna Mensah
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Is anyone finding cashflow deals in the Dallas market?

Edna Mensah
  • New to Real Estate
Posted May 23 2023, 19:26

I'm a first-time investor looking to buy my second home in Dallas, preferably something I could house hack (Duplex or SFH with an ADU or anything of that sort). I'm looking to buy with a lower down payment (most likely FHA 3.5%), live in it, and rent the rest out. Are there any specific areas in Dallas I should be focusing on for these types of deals? I haven't been successful in finding any cash-flowing deals with such a low down payment in today's interest rate market.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied May 23 2023, 20:39

There are several multifamily homes that pop-up every day in the Dallas. You just need to be constantly looking or finding a way to talk to home owners who may consider selling. Having a seasoned real estate agent is also important. Good thing about FHA is its 3.5% down and you can use the rents to help qualify for a bigger loan amount. It might make sense to get a pre-approval for the financing first so you can get a head start. That will help you gauge your Maximum loan amount and know your costs up front.

You may also want to get an Express Loan Approval where the bank underwrites your file up front.  Then they give you a "Commitment Letter" instead of a pre-approval letter.  That allows you and your agent to put in an offer and close in 12-15 days.  Making your offer a lot stronger with a guarantee and a quicker close date.  Its a tough market out there right now but this will help put you a head of other buyers.

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Votes |
Bruce Lynn#2 Real Estate Agent Contributor
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Coppell, TX
Replied May 23 2023, 21:53

@Edna Mensah I think it will be tough to find duplex or ADU that cashflows with 3.5% down. Probably your best house hack right now in DFW will be to buy 4-5 bedroom house and rent by the room. Otherwise typical 2-3-4 we see for sale will normally need 30-40% to hit somewhere around breakeven or cash flow a bit. Every so often you can find exceptions, but does not seem often.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brandon P.
  • Lakeland, FL
Votes |
  • Lakeland, FL
Replied May 24 2023, 03:18
A new podcast last week came out, ep 766, with a realtor/investor talking about the Dallas market specifically. He mentioned Forney, east of Dallas, as a good place to find some cheaper deals.

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied May 24 2023, 03:24

Move further towards the Waco and Bell County areas, and you will find cash flow.

User Stats

Votes
Kenneth McKeown
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Replied May 24 2023, 03:45

The quick answer is.. no. Lol 

User Stats

Votes
Edna Mensah
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied May 24 2023, 05:02
Quote from @Jason Wray:

There are several multifamily homes that pop-up every day in the Dallas. You just need to be constantly looking or finding a way to talk to home owners who may consider selling. Having a seasoned real estate agent is also important. Good thing about FHA is its 3.5% down and you can use the rents to help qualify for a bigger loan amount. It might make sense to get a pre-approval for the financing first so you can get a head start. That will help you gauge your Maximum loan amount and know your costs up front.

You may also want to get an Express Loan Approval where the bank underwrites your file up front.  Then they give you a "Commitment Letter" instead of a pre-approval letter.  That allows you and your agent to put in an offer and close in 12-15 days.  Making your offer a lot stronger with a guarantee and a quicker close date.  Its a tough market out there right now but this will help put you a head of other buyers.

Really useful info! Thank you so much! Yes, I have already prequalified for a loan. I'm looking at roughly $500k. 

User Stats

Votes
Edna Mensah
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied May 24 2023, 05:05
Quote from @Bruce Lynn:

@Edna Mensah I think it will be tough to find duplex or ADU that cashflows with 3.5% down. Probably your best house hack right now in DFW will be to buy 4-5 bedroom house and rent by the room. Otherwise typical 2-3-4 we see for sale will normally need 30-40% to hit somewhere around breakeven or cash flow a bit. Every so often you can find exceptions, but does not seem often.

Makes a lot of sense! I'll pivot toward that direction then. Thank you, Bruce!

User Stats

Votes
Edna Mensah
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied May 24 2023, 05:09
Quote from @Brandon P.:
A new podcast last week came out, ep 766, with a realtor/investor talking about the Dallas market specifically. He mentioned Forney, east of Dallas, as a good place to find some cheaper deals.

Thanks, Brandon!  I watched the podcast as well. It seems that break-even appreciation is what the focus is on now. I'll look into the Aubrey, TX, and Forney, TX areas as well. 

User Stats

Votes
Edna Mensah
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied May 24 2023, 05:10
Quote from @Kenneth McKeown:

The quick answer is.. no. Lol 

Lol. What about the long answer?

User Stats

Votes
Silvia Ochoa
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas TX
Replied May 24 2023, 12:33

Check in Oak Cliff/ Cockrell Hill. You will find homes with an ADU or "back house" that people have built over time to accommodate large & extended families. Rentals are in high demand in that area so it won't be hard to find tenants. Most of the deals will be in C class neighborhoods but only you know what you are comfortable with. Just a note, lots of those C neighborhoods are on the rise. Good luck.

User Stats

Votes
Edna Mensah
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied May 24 2023, 17:56
Quote from @Eliott Elias:

Move further towards the Waco and Bell County areas, and you will find cash flow.

Thank you for the recommendation!

User Stats

Votes
Edna Mensah
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied May 24 2023, 17:57
Quote from @Silvia Ochoa:

Check in Oak Cliff/ Cockrell Hill. You will find homes with an ADU or "back house" that people have built over time to accommodate large & extended families. Rentals are in high demand in that area so it won't be hard to find tenants. Most of the deals will be in C class neighborhoods but only you know what you are comfortable with. Just a note, lots of those C neighborhoods are on the rise. Good luck.

Thank you so much!

User Stats

Votes
John Morgan
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Grand Prairie, TX
Replied May 24 2023, 19:08

@Edna Mensah

I don't know about duplexes or good house hacking areas. But I've bought 6 SFH in the last year that cash flow ok in Arlington, Grand Prairie and Ft worth. Cheapest was 168k and most expensive was 260k. Most didn't need much work to get them rent ready. I rent two of them out by the room for $800-$1200/room per room. I'd buy a SFH and rent the rooms out. I net around $1700/month off my rent by the rooms after all my expenses, and around $500/month off my others with 20% down. It's getting harder to find good cash flowing deals. But they're out there on the MLS. Just be ready to make an offer it the numbers work.

User Stats

Votes
Edna Mensah
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Jun 13 2023, 19:56
Quote from @John Morgan:

@Edna Mensah

I don't know about duplexes or good house hacking areas. But I've bought 6 SFH in the last year that cash flow ok in Arlington, Grand Prairie and Ft worth. Cheapest was 168k and most expensive was 260k. Most didn't need much work to get them rent ready. I rent two of them out by the room for $800-$1200/room per room. I'd buy a SFH and rent the rooms out. I net around $1700/month off my rent by the rooms after all my expenses, and around $500/month off my others with 20% down. It's getting harder to find good cash flowing deals. But they're out there on the MLS. Just be ready to make an offer it the numbers work.

Thank you so much John! This is super useful. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Castro
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jun 14 2023, 08:25
Quote from @Edna Mensah:

I'm a first-time investor looking to buy my second home in Dallas, preferably something I could house hack (Duplex or SFH with an ADU or anything of that sort). I'm looking to buy with a lower down payment (most likely FHA 3.5%), live in it, and rent the rest out. Are there any specific areas in Dallas I should be focusing on for these types of deals? I haven't been successful in finding any cash-flowing deals with such a low down payment in today's interest rate market.

Am I understanding correctly that you own a home that you're going to keep and live in, and are looking to purchase a property in Dallas as a "second home"?

I believe for FHA you have to have a "qualifying circumstance" in order to purchase as a "second home".

And for conventional I believe you'd have to put 10% down for a second home.
Or by "second home" did you just mean "your next home"?

User Stats

Votes
Edna Mensah
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
Replied Jun 14 2023, 09:34
Quote from @Michael Castro:
Quote from @Edna Mensah:

Am I understanding correctly that you own a home that you're going to keep and live in, and are looking to purchase a property in Dallas as a "second home"?

I believe for FHA you have to have a "qualifying circumstance" in order to purchase as a "second home".

Hi Michael, I’ll be renting out the first home. And moving into the second home in Dallas when I purchase it. My job is based in Dallas so that’s sufficient for buying it as my primary residence with less money down provided I rent out my first home. I guess my question is more focused on finding a property that will cash flow in Dallas. I’m planning to house hack it or rent it out after I move out. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Castro
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jun 14 2023, 12:35
Quote from @Edna Mensah:
Quote from @Michael Castro:
Quote from @Edna Mensah:

Hi Michael, I’ll be renting out the first home. And moving into the second home in Dallas when I purchase it. My job is based in Dallas so that’s sufficient for buying it as my primary residence with less money down provided I rent out my first home. I guess my question is more focused on finding a property that will cash flow in Dallas. I’m planning to house hack it or rent it out after I move out. 

Understood thank you for clarifying- you literally meant your second home purchase as opposed to the technical term of "second home".

As I've seen it mentioned, renting by the room is where my clients are seeing the most success right now. It would also allow you to get into much nicer neighborhoods vs having to buy somewhere like Oak Cliff/ Cockrell Hill. Also an area like Oak cliff with an ADU often won't qualify for FHA unfortunately, but you could always do conventional 5% not a huge difference. One common reason is a lot of those lower priced homes and duplexes have window units instead of central AC.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied Jun 14 2023, 15:17

I would also reach out to Lucia Rushton for some help.  @Lucia Rushton

User Stats

Votes
Rebecca Jackson
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jul 17 2023, 07:20

I moved to dfw a year before the pandemic… it was a cash flow positive environment. Not now! Unless you want to live like a cockroach and “house hack” garbage in 110F weather… invest in something else or somewhere else. 

The math doesn't make sense, especially for being in the middle of nowhere LOL. Maybe if you hustle for an off market deal and eventually land something decent. I've met people that ended up buying the property they were renting directly from the owner, or buying it as a live in caregiver, etc. Avoid the MLS and agents.